Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev3.3 (beginner)

zeg66

159 posts in this topic

Greetings nice people.

I would like to examine the possibility of installing osx to my desktop pc. The specs are:

motherboard gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev3.3, P965/ICH8, s775, award bios

cpu intel core2quad q6700

ram 8gb

audio alc888 onboard

graphics nvidia 9800gt 1gb

ethernet marvell 8056

which version of osx should I go for and where could I obtain it as I have no access to a mac?

Please tell me how to begin. Thank you in advance.

update: the VM is working now! Had to use an older version (4.3.40) and only 1 CPU. Also, Flash Drive Maker and Clover Installer work.

Please tell me where to find the OS X El Capitan installer so I can drag it into the Flash Drive Maker window.

I have six machines here with cpu sockets 478, 775, 1151 and I can install and run windows, debian, ubuntu and arch on all of them very easily and witout a single problem.

This however, is different. All I wanted to try was Logic Pro X but the whole process is beyond me. I don't know what a fakesmc is, where to find it, or how to install it.

Thanks to all the people who helped. I am giving up.

I have six machines here with cpu sockets 478, 775, 1151 and I can install and run windows, debian, ubuntu and arch on all of them very easily and witout a single problem.

This however, is different. All I wanted to try was Logic Pro X but the whole process is beyond me. I don't know what a fakesmc is, where to find it, or how to install it.

Thanks to all the people who helped. I am giving up.

fake smc is basically a driver to emulate the smc chip present on real macs (i think) the kexts are basically drivers, you can find fakesmc.kext on 

efi partition go to folder   efi/clover/kexts/10.11  or  efi/clover/kexts/Other  if you dont have there then you need to put it on either one of those folders along with nullcpupowermanagement.kext

• Like 2

Yes you are correct but that is my main mastering machine so I cannot risk toying with it, not right now at least.

I have decided not to give up just yet because after a lot of hours and searching and trying I now have a 10.11.6 machine that boots on its own, without the need for a usb flashdrive, with Clover 4035, not so bad for a total newbie.

However the ethernet (although activated in the bios) is not running, so no internet. It is a Marvell 88E8056, I have tried a couple of kexts that I found through google but THEN I get a kernel panic.

So, is there a solution for 88E8056 on 10.11.6 or should I go to Yosemite or Mavericks?

*Or* should I buy a compatible ethernet card, stay with 10.11.6 and disable the Marvell in the bios? If yes, which one, that doesn't cost too much?

Needless to say, the most "elegant" solution would be to stay with ElCap 10.11.6 and use the Marvell, but I don't know if that is possible. Ideas?