Kernel Panic when Booting to Sierra Install

CharlieTUO

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have a Dell Optiplex 780 that I am making into a Hackintosh. I created the USB installer with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (Clover as Bootloader in Legacy Mode), and I have an EFI partition along with the main partition. I changed my BIOS to boot with Legacy mode, and I get to the Clover menu just fine. I will select the "Start OSX from USB" option, and it displays the Apple Logo and everything. It then goes verbose on me and says something about AHCI before rebooting. I am using no bootflags whatsoever, using a DSDT.aml configured for my DGPU, and correct kexts.

Dedicated GPU: AMD ATI RadeonHD 5450 (512MB)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3.0GHz)

2GB Ram

160 GB SATA Hard Disk

Thanks in advance!

Check your BIOS settings and, if it's available, set your HDD mode to AHCI. From a CPU perspective, your system is Sierra compatible. You can't boot Sierra with Chameleon though, you'll need to use Enoch. You can use version r2848 available in the download section of this site.

Booted with AHCI, and it showed the Apple Logo with a loading bar below it. It filled up all the way, then showed a 'No Entry' symbol, like the circle with a line through it diagonally, is there any way to bypass this? Thanks for your help!

Did take a look at your EFI folder. Just some observations:

• You seem to have two different FakeSMC kexts (on in the 10.12, one in the "other" folder). Use only one
  • You are using VBoxHfs-64.efi. At least with booting from USB stick I had problems with that driver. Maybe try the HFSPlus.efi driver instead.
  • Since you are getting ACPI related messages, maybe try to boot without a patched DSDT first. In most cases this is not needed at least not for a "bare boot".
  • Also remove other things you do not really need to just "bare boot", like Intel82566MM and RealtekRTL8111 kexts. Usually the only kext you really need is FakeSMC. Try to boot with a minimal setup as possible to minimize your potential error sources. You can enable things like network later on.
  • Same goes for Clover config. Try to disable most - if not all - settings first, you can refine stuff later on. This is especially important for Clovers DSDT patches - wich even can conflict with your patched DSDT - so disable everything here at first

I did those things, and it brought me to the Setup screen! I formatted my disk correctly, then it installed! I left my room when it was finishing installing to the disk, and I came back and it had probably rebooted, because the screen had a blinking white underscore at the top left corner. I tried manually restarting the PC, and it gave me the same menu.

macOS is usually installed in 2 stages (with reboot in between). So what you have to do is start from the USB stick again, just like you did the first time. If everything goes right, the installer should pick up where it left and finish. Be aware that even after that, you cannot boot from the HDD at first. So you would start up from the USB a third time, but then select your install HDD (not the installer this time). Next step then is to install Clover on your HDD, and do any POST install additions, like adding FakeSMC kext, installing network drivers - and of course the inevitable usual tinkering until everything works fine. Anyways also for your installation media the first goal is to make it boot, and add anything else after that.

Thank you guys so much! I got OSX running on my PC, with all but one problem, it won't boot to Sierra without the USB. I installed Clover to the HDD, and copied over ALL of my files from the USB to the EFI folder on my HDD, and have been trying to boot, to no avail. AHCI kernel panic. It works when I boot from the USB, but not naked. It also loads none of my preferences.

Thanks!

(I will be out of town without the Optiplex for a week, so I can't really do anything with it, but I can gather answers for when I do get back)

-Post ur full Clover folder

-Post Ioreg, extract with Ioreg Explorer

-Run it, post files, generate in ur desktop

what ur chipset mobo?

Hey there, basically a noob (originally got into this in 2007/2008 successfully) and after many years trying again. I've looked around for someone with a similar setup but cant. Can anyone direct me where to go? (Politely?)

I'm trying to install via a USB key with Sierra and Clover and can get the clover boot menu, through to the sierra boot loader screen but no further (good on' Kernal panic)

Edited by eugenemacmahon