Anyone willing to help out a newbie with some simple questions?

MatthijsR

5 posts in this topic

These are all the components:

Important:

-MSI x99 Raider

-Intel i7-5820k

-Nvidia gtx 960 4gb (Gigabyte Windforce edition)

Not so important:

-250gb Samsung 750 EVO

-8gb Hyperx ddr4 RAM

Here is what I know so far:

-There are two way to make a MacOS installation disk:

- with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

- with a command from apple + the clover bootloader

-You need an apple computer / finished hackintosh / virtual machine with MacOS to do this:

- I went for a virtual machine with the latest version of MacOS and debian as host OS (that seemed more appropriate since it's a unix based system as well)

-Because it's a x99 based system a kernel patch is needed in order to run MacOS (or maybe not? some people say that that's not necessary anymore after 10.10.2)

- I tried to run the patch anyway but it did not work the terminal outputted some error and the folder where the kernel was supposed to be didn't exist (does that mean that it is indeed not nessary to do the patch in 12.* anymore?)

-You also need special .kext files that function as modifications or something? (how does one know which ones you need and where to place these .kext files?)

- I read somewhere that I needed FakeSMC.kext (just because everyone need that) and VoodooTSCSync.kext (because I have a six-core processor)

Now I tried to do all of this and eventually I managed to create a bootable usb device but every time I tried to install macOS I got an error: "couldn't allocate runtime area", no matter what boot flags I tried (how do you guys know which ones to use anyway?). So if anyone can help me by answering some of these questions or pointing me to a more up to date X99 guide (preferably with an MSI motherboard but I'll take whatever I can get) I would really appreciate that.

Thank you all in advance! :lol: you're all awesome!

• 3 weeks later...