AppleALC into Bios

Fredde2209

3 posts in this topic

Well, the AppleALC is a very cool solution to many of us... But getting it into the Bios isn't very easy because of its size. As a reference, the original AppleALC.kext (in Ozmosis ready version) has a size of 558Kb in compressed ffs format. Not everybody has that much space in his BIOS, especially not, when Ozmosis needs to fit in there as well! So, here is one solution, that works out very well. It checks which codec is installed on your Mainboard and automatically downloads the .kext and .ffs version reduced to an acceptable size. For now, there are only some Audio Codecs Supported. Here is a list:

ALC255

ALC882

ALC883

ALC885

ALC887

ALC888

ALC889

ALC891

ALC892

ALC898

ALC1150

The size of the compressed ffs for the ALC1150 is 76Kb, which fits into the most BIOSes I'd say. When you run the script, it will download the files to your Downloads folder using your default browser. This will look like this:

post-1459824-0-24836900-1487443999_thumb.png

Then you can decide what to do with it! Insert it into your Bios, or convert it yourself to .ffs so it doesn't have the usual UUID, Kexttoffs gives it. With a correctly patched DSDT.aml (layout-ID injected), you will have sound OOB after having flashed the Bios. Pretty cool, especially when distributing it to beginners. I hope, you have some ideas, how to develop it further. If so, please let me know :) 

PS: Of course, the .kext also works fine with Clover. But it will probably not influence your sound at all. 

AppleALC-Downloader.command.zip

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Time for a new version! The AppleALC has been updated to a new version (1.1.1) and now needs the extra Kernel patcher Lilu.kext. So, here is a new version of the script, which should be able to download all the files as before but now it is able to select which version you would like to download and automatically saves the .kext and .ffs files to your downloads folder.

post-1459824-0-36845900-1492005946_thumb.png

For the AppleALC version 1.1.1 these codecs are already available for download:

ALC255

ALC887

ALC892

ALC898

ALC1150

VIA VT2021

The VIA VT2021 kext also works for the VT2020 but it isn't possible to download using the script yet. That's why I'm searching for people to test it and help me improve it. All of you, who are interested, please send me a PM, so we can together :)

A very cool feature, I added is layout ID 9 for the VT2020/21. It works better than the existing IDs 5 and 7 and also doesn't need a patched AppleHDA but only layout ID 9 injected. This was made possible in cooperation with @xSonicBSVx  :thumbsup_anim:

AppleALC-Downlaoder_1.0.1-beta.command.zip

• Like 3

• 5 months later...