ATY_Alopias working!

munky

29 posts in this topic

So I upgraded my hackintosh to the new kernel, by this method (a little strange, but its all I had to work with):

- Installed JaS 10.4.6 (only 10.4.6 update and SSE3 patch) and booted into it.

- Installed JaS 10.4.7 Update, did not reboot

- Installed Apple 10.4.8 Combo Update, did not reboot

- Removed mach_kernel, AppleSMBIOS.kext, Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache

- Applied mifki's v2 kernel and AppleSMBIOS.kext

- Rebooted

This got me to a fully working 10.4.8 system - About this Mac didnt crash, System Profiler all working etc.

I then downloaded and installer Neopheus' v3.5 borisbadenov installer and installed it.

When I rebooted, I got a black screen.

I then booted into single-user mode, and by process of elimination, I managed to get full gfx acceleration, res changing etc back by changing ATY_Wormy's IOProviderClass from IOPCIDevice back to IONDRVDevice, and then changing ATY_Alopias's IOProviderClass from IONDRVDevice to IOPCIDevice.

Basically, the boris installer makes the modification to the ATY_Wormy plugin, but that wasnt working for my X1800XL, as ATY_Wormy is for the X1600, so what i've done is disabled ATY_Wormy and enabled ATY_Alopias instead.

I strongly suspect ATY_Caretta is for the X1400, and ATY_Sphyrna is for the X1900 (tho im less clear on that one).

I thought it was maybe already known that this was doable, but Neopheus didnt seem to be aware of it, so there's maybe scope for a new version of his installer coming soon :gun:

ok...

first, you need to be using the 10.4.8 drivers and kernel, as far as i know. feel free to test with earlier ones and report back.

so, install your 10.4.8 system with mifki or semthex kernel

install v3.5 of neopheus' borisbadenov installer from installers.dl.am

reboot

if you get a black screen and you dont have an X1600:

reboot and hit F8, supply -s to the boot params to get into single user mode

at the prompt, type:

First we need to mount the root filesystem as read/write:

/sbin/mount -uw /

Next, we need to disable ATY_Wormy:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ATINDRV.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ATY_Wormy.kext/Contents/
sudo emacs Info.plist
<enter your password>

now find the section whose first key is 'FirstPersonality', and within that find the last key IOProviderClass. the string value in the next line will read 'IOPCIDevice'. change this to IONDRVDevice, save (ctrl-x, ctrl-c).

Finally, we need to enable whichever plugin is appropriate for your ATI card.

We know that ATY_Wormy is the X1600, ATY_Alopias is the X1800, and ATY_Caretta is X1400. That leaves one (ATY_Sphyrna) which might be X1300, or it might be X1900. Owners of the respetive cards will have to test. Note that X1300 might work with the X1400 driver, or the X1900 might work with the X1800 driver etc. Please post results here.

So lets say you have an X1800 like me. To enable it:

cd ATY_Alopias.kext/Contents/
emacs Info.plist

We're basically going to do the opposite to ATY_Alopias as we did to ATY_Wormy.

Find the same key (IOProviderClass) and change it from IONDRVDevice to IOPCIDevice.

Save the file (ctrl-x, ctrl-c)

Now reboot the machine normally. With a bit of luck you'll have full support. If you get a plain blue screen, or a corrupt screen, (or a black screen), you have used the wrong plugin for your class of card.

Hope this helps!

NB: Whenever you enable one plugin (by setting to IOPCIDevice), you MUST disable the others (by setting to IONDRVDevice), otherwise it wont work.

Nice nice, thx for the tutorial and thx to NeoPheus.

Does that mean, that i must only install the driver and my card is hopefully supported and i don´t need to type in all the commands?

Yep this is meant by this! I tested the installer by myself, and it works!

The new 3.6 will do all by itself and it will work for X1800 (maybe) X1300/X1400 and X1900 too!

What is the new 3.6?

Is it in the JaS 10.4.8 re-released one ??

Mine is the mobility X1400.

In the custom install, which one should I select?

Thx

Just read post #6

Thanks Munky it works for me too!!!! :D

ATI Radeon X1800GTO

Pentium D 915

MSI 945GM2

Now I have my system updated to the 8.8.1 kernel.

and all works good.

Except for the "about this mac", I have the 10.4.5 DVD where is the 10.4.4 loggin window?

Thanks again ;)

Just read post #6

Neophus have you been having any problems with your new drivers and your Sapphire x1600pro, seems like a few of us are

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry225896

ya if I use the new JaS 10.4.8 dvd and select the x1x00 support when i boot with -v I get a blue screen with no mouse....if I don't use -v I get a "you must restart your pc" message....However when I remove my x1600pro Crossfire Ed card and use my onboard gma950 I boot up fine....

This used to work fine in with the old kernel....

I see these people seemed to experience the same blue screen I am experiencing with your installer on the JaS DVD, would changing mine from wormy have any effect or is the x1600pro like the x1600 and classified as wormy? or will the new 3.6 installer correct this issue for us sapphire x1600pro users??

Hi...

I also have a problem with the 3.6 installer

I installed 10.4.8 and put in an ATI x1600 Pro and installed 3.5 and no problems! Everything worked except

DVI. I then saw the 3.6 installer on Neopheus's website and installed that. Machine booted untill the blue screen with starting OSX and the blue bar goes until the end and it just hangs there. I then booted into single user mode and ran the uninstallscript and rebooted and have the same problem.

Anybody help with this??

Thanks!

I have a x1600pro with non-working dvi output (only d-sub works).

Is Neo's new v3.6 installer supposed to fix this non-working dvi output problem?

I've updated to 10.4.8 with DaemonES kernel, which is based on mifki's kernel.

I have an X1800XT, Intel 945 board, D940 processor. After installing Neopheus's installer (3.6), DVi-D is working fine. I've not tested mirroring or expanding the Desktop, though. Sleep works but freezes on re-awakening.

Mac OS X 10.4.8 (JaS Reseed) + Neopheus 3.6:

X1800GTO GeCube (256Mb), Intel D945GNT board, Intel Pentium D930 processor, 2Gb Mem.

EVERYTHING OK: QE+CI, OpenGL, Res change, analog out, DVI out, Colorsync, rotation, sleep. 2 monitors not tested.

Just perfect! Thanks for all.

Hi everyone,

I tried and tried, but I am still having lots of problems

Basically, my system works very good on OSX apart a couple of minor glitches, so I installed a new Graphics card but... No luck

Here's my system:

Asrock Conroe 945G-DVI Bios 1.3

C2D 1.87

HIS ATI X1800GTO Flashed and successfully working under WIndows as X1800XT, ID 0x710a

JaS OSX 10.4.8 DVD Mifki Kernel

Borisbadenov Neopheus Installer 3.6 (tried 3.2 also, no luck)

Basically when I boot with the card on, I get a blue screen, sometimes with a pointer sometimes without...

How can I get it to work? Please help