Windows 10 removed USB boot option on my Gigabyte board

2 posts in this topic

I'm using a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH with the latest BIOS (F12). Last weekend, I booted into the existing Windows 10 installation (current version, 64bit) and when I restarted the computer Windows did some updates. On the actual restart the computer booted directly into Windows 10, not the Clover boot menu as before.

No problem, I thought, I'll just boot from a USB stick I always have handy for such cases, and fix the bootloader on the EFI partition. To my surprise, the BIOS suddenly didn't show the USB drives anymore. It only showed the harddrives. I'm sure the USB drive works and is bootable. I confirmed this by switching to an alternative BIOS (the mainboard has two BIOSes that can be selected with a physical switch). But with that latest version of the BIOS, after running Windows, it is no longer possible to choose a USB drive. Secure Boot is turned off by the way.

Has anyone seen something similar? Can Windows 10 really modify the BIOS (any BIOS?) in such a way that valid boot options are not shown anymore?