config.plist kext and booting

EdmundF

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I am totally new to hackinstosh and I want to understand it a bit more.

After making an USB-stick with Sierra and replacing the default config.plist with one under the name "AMD legacy" my computer booted

from the USB-stick.

I installed Sierra from it and I could boot it with the use of the USB.

Now I had no network ( Realtek 8111F ) and no sound ( Realtek ALC887 ).

Next I tried to install ( without reading much about it ) "Clover" but still couldn't boot directly from the harddrive.

Then I copied the EFI and BOOT  partition/settings to the Hard drive which made it boot directly.

Using a "kext" to install the network on the harddrive gave me a network and internet.

Using the same method for the sound did not work.

Now I like to know a few things, if I boot from the USB-key and select "boot from hard-drive" 

What will happen, does it use the config.plist from the USB-stick or from the hard-drive or both?

Point is that I like to make everything work and test it using the USB-stick in order to prevent damaging my hard-drive settings and risk it won't boot anymore.

Don't know what to do if that happens.

Now about those "kext:" things :-) are these making different changes then the config.plist' ? or is it possible to have everything fixed with the right config.plist?

I

Hallo artur_pt,

Maybe I was not clear but when I select in the BIOS to boot from the USB-pen, get the the clover menu and then select "boot from Hard drive"

What i found out is that the config.plist on the USB-pen must correspond to the system/video card used or the USB-pen will not boot.

When I next select "boot from harddrive" the configuration made on the hard drive is loaded.

The configuration for the network and sound I have done using a "kext" and a kext installer.

Now my question is, can I make such a configuration without a kext and just use a config.plist or are there settings elsewhere in the system that needs to be adjusted?

Perhaps you're confused on what you're working with. Kexts - kernel extensions - are device drivers for OS X. They're loadable kernel modules which is how most unix-based OSes work these days. The config.plist file is just the configuration file for your Clover bootloader. That's it. They are completely separate things.

If your hardware isn't natively supported by the kexts that come with OS X then you need to use third party ones which is very typical for hackintosh users, especially in audio and LAN card support. And you of course need to include the mandatory FakeSMC.kext since you don't have an SMC chip that real Macs have.

• 3 weeks later...