[GUIDE] MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4K - Works for other laptops as well

Ditger

5 posts in this topic

Hello

After learning and reading a lot here, it's time for me to write my first guide here.

In this tutorial we use a MSI GS60 4K, but you can use other laptops as well! 

I made a video on youtube that goes with this guide and a .rar file with all the programs that I used in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZkG17-HS3g&t=1s

Requirements

1. A USB with at least 8GB but I recommend you use one that is 16GB.
  2. Another USB stick, size doesn’t matter with this one but I’ll use 16GB as well
  3. The second thing you need is a copy of Mac OS El Capitan or Sierra, in this tutorial we are going to use Sierra. If you want to try El Capitan and you are on Sierra already then you can easily download it back from you “purchased” tab of the Mac App Store; I do not recommend pirating it or downloading a modified version from unknown sources. Also, keep in mind that making the USB installer is something that needs to happen on a real mac, NOT A VIRTUAL MACHINE!
  4. Next, you’re going to need a copy of Pandora’s Box which can be downloaded from Insanely Mac
  5. And you are going to need a USB 2.0 Hub
  6. A wireless mouse
  7. A USB keyboard

Programs used (before and after the installation)

1. Pandora's Box http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/11-pandoras-box-os-x-installer/
  2. Clover Flying Editor: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/602-clover-flying-editor/
  3. ESP Mounter Pro: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/566-esp-mounter-pro/

I also made a package which contains all programs like pandora's box but since it's too big to upload, so here's the link

https://mega.nz/#!u9ogFYLT!FKUnTn9tMBimfU2ic5mphSA5lbJa0B92mRjgISLw9Rk

Update: the link has been changed from Mediafire to MEGA

Making The Bootable USB Stick

First, go on you Mac and open Disk Utility

Then format the USB in the default settings so Mac can read it

After formatting, open Pandora and click on the left icon to make the installer

Don’t click the createinstallermedia check box!

Then click “start” notice that this can take up to 10-30 minutes depending on your hard drive speed and your mac, mine is model from 2013 so it takes up a while

After your done you’ll see a dialog that says that there isn’t a bootloader installed so you are going to choose “Clover” as if this option is the most reliable and you will have less errors and more support

If you don’t get this dialog then something bad happened and you might want to repeat the whole process from start because you’ll see that it wrote several folders on the USB.

So when you are at this step then you are 25% done J

Open the EFI folder and delete all files, copy and paste the EFI folder that can be downloaded from the link in the description, I uploaded my folder and tools to Insanely Mac

After you are done you can eject the USB which will ask you to eject both USB, because EFI is a special hidden partition which can be read again if you have a windows laptop or desktop if you want to make any changes or forgot something

Installing macOS!

Before using the USB, you want to check and make several changes in the bios menu, to access this you will have to hold the DELETE key on the internal keyboard these settings are essentials, if you don’t make changes then the USB installer will be blocked out

In the bios of MSI, you’ll notice that it is different than desktop so beforehand you are going to disable secure boot in the security tab. Then the other things happen in the advanced section of the bios menu

To access this you need to use following combination RIGHT SHIFT, RIGHT CTRL, LEFT ALT, F2

Then you must do this

1. Disable Secure Boot
  2. Disable VT-D
  3. Set DVMT-Prealloc to 96MB
  4. Disable Fast Boot
  5. Disable CSM

at this point you are done for 50% J

then you must plug in the USB in the USB 2.0 hub, this is a standard. You can try with 3.0 but I’ll recommend using a 2.0 for hackintoshing

then if you must hold F11 to access the boot menu if this doesn’t show up and there is a red box saying it is invalid, it means you forgot disabling secure boot

When Clover starts up you must go to options, and then graphics

When you are there you see id-platform or something like that it would be something with 0x00000000 you need to change that to 0x12345678

Then return twice and go to the circle saying; Pandora and press space bar

Choose; verbose + safe mode + nv_web

You can try not clicking safe mode but if it panics, that’s the reason

If verbose mode, just freezes then you might want to wait or just type in you error in google or here so I can help you and assist you with ur issue

If you reach the installer plug in you USB keyboard and mouse, and click next. You must click system and open disk utility. Normally the HDD of 1TB is displayed in the right column, but if it is hidden then you might want to try again and disable safe mode in clover

When you formatted your HDD, you can click continue and install it on the HDD

Once you are done and reached the desktop then you are done for 90% J

Plug in you other USB which must contain Slytherin, and other apps you think you might need

Open Slytherin and install all kexts from there to enable keyboard and touchpad and other things.

Keep in might, always make backups if you use this as primary device! And also, upgrade once a year if needed, so you might want to wait so kexts can update as well

So thanks for reading! I hope that it is helpful, also please note that I never recorded myself before nor wrote a guide in english which isn't my mother language so I hope it was any good

Also i want to give a big thanks to following people;

@slayer2333 thanks a lot man for supporting me so well even when i was completly lost, couldnt have done that without you

@Miky1979 (and other contributors) thanks for Pandora's Box a wonderful program which was really helpful and the key to succes! And also thanks for Clover flying editor, and of course esp mounter pro

and of course the whole community here, you are all amazing and everyone feels like home instantly thanks a lot!

I'll keep this guide as up to date as possible!

Happy Hackintoshing

- Ditger DW -  

• 2 weeks later...

What did work:

The ports (HDMI, USB, ...) 

Build in keyboard

Trackpad

What didn't work

- Wifi

- Audio

I had a crash only once so I can surely help you as good as possible :)

awesome thanks for the quick reply. I do a lot of video editing and such. Have you found any work around to the audio at all? Would wifi work with an adapter? 

At this moment i formatted the drive for school and such so I dont have it installed yet, in the video I had the bad luck that my drive wasnt recognized so I couldnt install it 100% :/ 

will try to fix is asap :)

But normally you can install the kexts for wifi and audio with Slytherin