El Capitan 10.11.6 on HP XW8600

Benjudas

8 posts in this topic

I've been away from the scene for personal reasons, but recently I've been able to spend some time experimenting with my old machine again.
With the DSDT that I modified for Mavericks I got high CPU temps,no Sleep, no SpeedStep,etc so I decided to extract DSDT from zero and fix everything again, and I got some news:

- CPUPowermanagement, SpeedStep, Sleep, Wake (from USB and PBTN), HDA and SATA are injected by my edited DSDT.
- LAN is working with AppleBCM5701.kext injected by Clover. This is thanks to the Sunki's binary patch code and the instructions that he posted in a russian forum.
- SAS is injected by Clover faking id in info.plist.
No more kexts needed and this two injections prevents missing drivers after updating OS!
- You only need one Kext in S / L / E, and it's original appleHDA.kext. Thanks to Rockey12, that sent me the last topic. I do not know what to patch exactly inside the binary, because the only thing that I did was add platform, layout 28 and modify the pin config in AppleHDAController. So if you read this Rockey12, I suggest you to tell us how did you do. Thanks in advance.

Here are the steps I followed:

1 - Load the defaults in the BIOS, enable integrated audio and disable COM1 and Floppydisk.
2 - Create a "El Capitan" install USB with the command "createmediainstall" and then install on it the latest version of Clover. Overwrite the Clover config file, the DSDT in ACPI/patched and fakeSMC.kext with its sensors in Kexts/10.11 folder.
3 - Boot from the USB (in case you have NVIDIA graphics you will surely need the Flag kernel nv_disable = 1) and install "El Capitan". (LAN works OOB even in the installer)
4 - At the end of the installation you have to install Clover on this disk, and overwrite the files again. (I try in EFI, but I suppose that it will work in HD root too)
5 - In case you use NVIDIA, you will need the Web drivers. For ATI users, sorry, but you will need to improvise.
6 - Install appleHDA.kext with "easykext" or similar.

7 - Although the USB is detected and work correctly, it has the issue of "Disk not ejected properly", and finally I solved it thanks to this topic:

[Guide] Fix issue of "Disk not ejected properly" - OSx86 10.11 (El Capitan) - InsanelyMac Forum

Thank you Syscl.

Note: I had to switch the outputs in pin config of AppleHDA because in the correct position the kext did not work, so the IntSpeakers is the real line out. One thing that I couldn't test was the HDMI audio, but it´s probably that it works, because in Mavericks I got it.

IMPORTANT: This DSDT is edited for XEON E5440, so if you want to use it, will have to edit this section of code with yours, or ad a generic code and generate SSDT. If You use it, do it at your own risk.

The truth is that I am very happy with the results. This is possibly the best and cleanest installation I have ever made, almost completely vanilla. Absolutely everything works as it should !!!

Thanks to all the people that makes this possible.

Hope this can be helpful.
Good hack !!!

--------------------------  UPDATE  --------------------------

I recompiled AppleALC to inject audio to AppleHDA and change LayoutID in DSDT. (AppleALC=Amazing project!!!)
All ports are working and jack detect too. (switch between lineout and headphones)
No more AppleHDA.kext needed.
Still switched outputs.

NOTE:  You will need to reinstall original AppleHDA.kext

Finally completely VANILLA!!!!

--------------------------  UPDATE  --------------------------

Added HDMI audio.
Reassigned IRQ request.
Fixed some cosmetically issues.

post-415560-0-82863100-1485387793_thumb.png

post-415560-0-74453900-1485387859_thumb.png

post-415560-0-11624700-1485387912_thumb.png

post-415560-0-81990500-1485388090_thumb.png

post-415560-0-26252800-1485388126_thumb.png

post-415560-0-98845100-1485762666_thumb.png

post-415560-0-69953300-1485763332_thumb.png

XW8600 10.11.6 v3.zip

• Like 2

Excellent guide bro.  I'd like to try your guide with el capitan. My question is, since you're using a different kext for network do you suffer from lost network when wake from sleep like the kext for lan on the other post for sierra?

-----------Update

I download your pack and reinstalled El Capitan and all works wonderfully after I made sure to boot with nv_disable=1 to reach desktop and installed web drivers for my gnu which is the EVGA Nvidia 740 SC 4GB.  After i installed web drivers, it booted so fast as if i had an SSD.  On the other hand, i tried your pack on my Sierra 10.12.3 SSD partition, it boots up but network kexts won't load and the machine won't power off nor restart if i boot into the sierra partition.  I guess it all lies down to not having web drivers installed for Sierra. Can't seem to find any working web drivers now for my card.. Anyone has any suggestions?

Everything works in El Capitan, sound, sleep, wake, and network after wake from sleep which was one of the symptoms i suffered from before using the old network kext.  Thanks to you and anyone else responsible, i now have a stable Workstation after my 690 precision motherboard got corrupted bios.

Nice to hear that!

For get Nvidia Web Drivers for your card in 10.12.6, you should select GTX680 in the nvidia official web. If you instaled the security update, you will need the WebDriver-346.03.15f06 version, if not, WebDriver-346.03.15f5 will do the job.

Since I gave the workstation to my father, I can no longer test anymore.

About the network driver, Apple has rewrite the binary file in 10.12, and until someone (like Sunki) get to find the code to modify, we will not be able to get it work again.

As for the sound, it still works on 10.12 and I think it's the cleanest way to have audio in Sierra.

The sleep in Sierra should work if you wake by pressing power button, but if you try to wake from USB, it will stay in black screen.

I will still investigating, as I can.

Good hack!

That sounds about right about the network not working in Sierra. You're definitely right about web drivers, as i learned the security update broke it again and needed to install that version of web drivers for el capitan. It's the web drivers for Sierra i really need. I guess for now, i'll just use El Capitan until the network kext issue is fixed in sierra. Thanks a million man, couldn't have done it without you and everyone else who contributed.

How do i go about changing the lan kext from yours to the one "Selkie707" updated the OP on the XW8600 El Capitan 11.11.6 thread?  Are they the same value with hex code?  The reason is because he said the new kext on his updated post works with Sierra and I wanted to give it a try on my machine.

post-1199206-0-69650900-1486578312_thumb.png

How do i go about changing the lan kext from yours to the one "Selkie707" updated the OP on the XW8600 El Capitan 11.11.6 thread?  Are they the same value with hex code?  The reason is because he said the new kext on his updated post works with Sierra and I wanted to give it a try on my machine.

Nice to hear that!
For get Nvidia Web Drivers for your card in 10.12.6, you should select GTX680 in the nvidia official web. If you instaled the security update, you will need the WebDriver-346.03.15f06 version, if not, WebDriver-346.03.15f5 will do the job.
Since I gave the workstation to my father, I can no longer test anymore.
About the network driver, Apple has rewrite the binary file in 10.12, and until someone (like Sunki) get to find the code to modify, we will not be able to get it work again.
As for the sound, it still works on 10.12 and I think it's the cleanest way to have audio in Sierra.
The sleep in Sierra should work if you wake by pressing power button, but if you try to wake from USB, it will stay in black screen.
I will still investigating, as I can.
Good hack!

The kext i found that worked with sleep in 10.12 was from:

https://github.com/jief666/BCM5722D/tree/GigaBug

That also supposedly fixes problems that occured with >300 concurrent connections as well.

IDK if its possible to create a patch to add both of those things to the stock BCM7501.kext or not.

I did 3 installs last night and idk how i've became the victim of sudden reboot after each shut down.  Machine was super stable before, I'm just trying to comprehend where i went wrong. The only thing i did differently was use a different graphics card because i thought it would make a difference in regards of having to rely on web drivers to get proper power management because it seems as though that was essential for me in my previous installs.  

• 2 months later...