Poor performance on X99 & 5820K

Gregow

13 posts in this topic

So, I haven't been running Hackintosh for a while but decided I wanted to give it new shot. I had previously ran an El Capitan installation, but wasn't all too happy with the performance. Figured I'd go at it again and not give up until it's working well.

Anyhow, I made some bastardization of the old El Capitan  USB; latest version of Clover, Sierra install and copied the old El Cap config files (kexts, config.plist, SSDT and so on). As I don't remember everything clearly I tried to change as little as possible.

It seems to have installed fine and the performance is a bit better than on El Capitan. So that's where I'm at now.

I know that's not very detailed information, but I'll be happy to provide more if I just know what would be of interest/relevant.

Running some benchmarks the performance is not great. Geekbench gives a decent single core performance but the multi-core is just around 20k (clocked at 4Ghz). Cinebench R15 seems a little better with 1180 points on CPU, but a little tired GPU score of 118 (GTX 970).

I'm using the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext so I'm assuming the CPU runs at full power.

Where do I begin troubleshooting? Any suggestions?

My system specs:

Asus X99-A motherboard

i7 5820K @4Ghz

2x8Gb RAM

Asus GTX 970

• Like 1

Hi Gregow, I also wanted to give it another shot and install Sierra. I have the same motherboard as you and the 5820k processor. I have the 740 ftw 1gb EVGA gpu. 

Can you please share with me step by step with what changes you made in your Bios? Im having trouble even getting to install the mac OS. Any help would be appreciated.  Im trying to attach a photo of where my installation is getting caught up but its asking me for a URL to post a pic. Why cant I just upload a JPEG  from my desktop? 

geek bench is not a good source for cpu performance, passmark is a good source.cpu after sandy bridge have almost same solo core performance.The multi core performance is better only on multi core optimized program like games.

Overclock is unstable so overclock will not benefit performance.

Hi Gregow, I also wanted to give it another shot and install Sierra. I have the same motherboard as you and the 5820k processor. I have the 740 ftw 1gb EVGA gpu. 

Can you please share with me step by step with what changes you made in your Bios? Im having trouble even getting to install the mac OS. Any help would be appreciated.  Im trying to attach a photo of where my installation is getting caught up but its asking me for a URL to post a pic. Why cant I just upload a JPEG  from my desktop? 

Sierra has restrict for NVIDIA video card so that every my NVIDIA video card(GT 740,GTX 650 TI BOOST,GTX260) need nv_disable=1 to install Sierra.

I don't think there's anything special in the BIOS settings:

Speedstep and C-states disabled (always found it unstable to overclock with these turned on)

AHCI - enabled

Intel VT-d - disabled

xHCI - auto

EHCI - enabled

xHCI hand-off enabled

HD audio off (I use an external DAC)

USB 3.0 - enabled

CSM - disabled

Secure boot - Windows UEFI

geek bench is not a good source for cpu performance, passmark is a good source.cpu after sandy bridge have almost same solo core performance.The multi core performance is better only on multi core optimized program like games.

Sierra has restrict for NVIDIA video card so that every my NVIDIA video card(GT 740,GTX 650 TI BOOST,GTX260) need nv_disable=1 to install Sierra.

Passmark for MacOS? It's Windows only as far as I know.

Allright, well... I got a score of 15 558 running my CPU at 4.1Ghz (while I was at it I figured I could bump the frequency without increasing the voltage). I don't know if any conclusions can be drawn from that, but I suppose it's not bad.

After updating to MacOS 10.12.3 and changing the device definition from MacPro 5,1 to 6,1 I got a little performance increase as well.

Geekbench single core is 4668 and multi core is 21719

Cinebench R15 gives a CPU score of 1200 and GPU score of 120.

It's looking at least half way decent, but I wonder if there's room for some tweaking to optimise performance.  

Thanks guys, I finally managed to get Sierra installed then I installed the Nvidia Cuda drivers I found online (not sure I needed them) I also did installed the web drivers for 10.12.13 but its asking me to restart my machine and I have not run Clover configurator yet. Im unclear on what I need to do with that phase before I restart. Is there a good video on youtube or advice for the clover configurator process? Also what Clover Configurator is the best for me to download?

I also don't have sound and the web pages seem to flicker a little when I move my mouse over the tabs. 

I still have my usb stick with the Clover boot loader plugged in. Im getting my internet through ethernet connection but would like to use my Asus PCI Wifi  card, is that possible?

I have an XFX Radeon R9 280X  3gb card that is good on pc and I thought it would be great with Mac but it didn't work on my last build and I assume it wouldn't work on this one unless I can find drivers for it and there is only PC drivers for it. I use my computer hopefully for video editing and content creation.

Do I need Clover configurator ?

Any help would be appreciated. 

I never success Nvidia web driver on 10.12,but success Nvidia web driver on 10.11

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306535-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-el-capitan-update-01202017/

cce is a better replacement for clover configurator

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/313284-cloud-clover-editor-cce/

I think R9 200 or HD7000 works but have problems

I think RX 400 does not work

I think GTX 700 works no problems

I think low end video card does not work

I am using HD6600 and HD6800 and GTX 600 works no problems

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312582-amd-polaris-ids-on-1012-sierra/

Thanks guys, I finally managed to get Sierra installed then I installed the Nvidia Cuda drivers I found online (not sure I needed them) I also did installed the web drivers for 10.12.13 but its asking me to restart my machine and I have not run Clover configurator yet. Im unclear on what I need to do with that phase before I restart. Is there a good video on youtube or advice for the clover configurator process? Also what Clover Configurator is the best for me to download?

I also don't have sound and the web pages seem to flicker a little when I move my mouse over the tabs. 

I still have my usb stick with the Clover boot loader plugged in. Im getting my internet through ethernet connection but would like to use my Asus PCI Wifi  card, is that possible?

I have an XFX Radeon R9 280X  3gb card that is good on pc and I thought it would be great with Mac but it didn't work on my last build and I assume it wouldn't work on this one unless I can find drivers for it and there is only PC drivers for it. I use my computer hopefully for video editing and content creation.

Do I need Clover configurator ?

Any help would be appreciated. 

After you've installed MacOS you should install Clover on your system drive and move the USB;s EFI to the system drives EFI. Reboot without the USB to make sure everything works and then keep the USB as backup when things go wrong.

Once you've rebooted, click the nVidia icon in the system tray. If it reads "OS X default" change it to nVidia web and reboot. In case that did not work, open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and under "system parameters" check "nvidiaweb". Reboot. You should notice the difference immediately, but you can double check the tray icon again.

Depending on your system definition you may end up with a black screen when booting. In that case, look here:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/black-screen-with-macpro-6-1-or-imac-15-or-imac-17-system-definition.183113/

OK thanks so much. I will install Clover onto my main SSD and when you say clover you mean Clover boot loader and not configurator, correct? Also when you say "System Tray" id that my main SSD drive?

Just so we are clear, I won't ever be able to do a normal reboot, correct? It will always go to the clover screen first then I click on the Mac OS icon and it loads up. 

As of now I turned it off last night when I went to bed and I have type in a couple combinations of boot args but it won't load up. 

**Edit

I used these boot args and it went through briefly then I changed the "OS X default" to nVidia web and it asked to reboot but ended up going to a black screen then back to clover. 

every try since to get back into Sierra has not worked or I get writing halfway down the start up screen which I assume is a kernel panic?

These are the boot args that I have been using 

npci=0x2000 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0   (this worked 1 time then won't work since)

I have been trying to mix and match these with no luck. 

I am trying to change to the Nvidia Web Drivers but when I do it says to restart and then when I try it goes black then back to the original clover start up screen. What am I doing wrong? I don't thing I have ever been able to do a normal restart since Sierra was installed. If I take out my Clover Bootloader and boot from the main SSD then it starts and goes to the screen with the circle and the line through it.

I am trying to change to the Nvidia Web Drivers but when I do it says to restart and then when I try it goes black then back to the original clover start up screen. What am I doing wrong? I don't thing I have ever been able to do a normal restart since Sierra was installed. If I take out my Clover Bootloader and boot from the main SSD then it starts and goes to the screen with the circle and the line through it.

I think the problem is the exact video driver,none of pc video card has exact video driver except HD5770,but I am not sure HD5770 will work.in 10.12.4 my HD6600 does not work.