[Guide] Lenovo Thinkpad L420 with El Capitan

kosakgroove

33 posts in this topic

I have the same problem

I have a weird bug I have noticed, and it only happens when Mac OS X is installed in the hard drive.

I get a message 2 out of 3 times I boot or restart the computer... 

0251- CMOS bad checksum error - Default configuration used

After I press Esc then the computer resets the BIOS and successfully boots Clover from the GUID disk.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey! Thanks for the guide! especially the fan speed hack :D

L420 is my first hackbook and boy was it a roller coaster. Installed Sierra successfully. I have a few minor problems for which I'd be extremely grateful if resolved.

1. I also have a renesas usb 3.0 express-card but its not working. When I attach a usb, nothing happens. The card shows up on the top bar as a usb controller. Do I have to do something extra?
2. Can I get the volume buttons working somehow?
3. You mentioned a way to get the vga working. I could not understand where to find AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB and replace the string how? You also mentioned a method to add "adding a DSM to the IGPU device in DSDT". I could not find the IGPU device in DSDT so I could not add it. 

4. Is replacing the hardware/usb-wifi the only way to get the wifi working?

5. Sometimes trackpad and keyboard freeze on boot (usb keyboard/mouse works fine). Will your custom kext ApplePS2SmartTouchPad kosakgroove.kext.zip solve the problem?

6. Speakers work but mic does not. Usb mic works ok. Could you help me?

7. After I put it to sleep, it immediately wakes up after sleeping for 2 seconds or so. Have you encountered something similar?

Thanks

@nicolobahr

i don't have a L420 - but T420 which has a lot in common. see the T420 Guide and thread for more ideas and fixes you may want.

1) PCI USB - check out mXHCI.kext (link in T420 thread)

2) can't help you with Audio

3) see T420 config.plist for patches to enable VGA port

4) intel wifi chips will not work period. so replace chip or use USB wifi.

5) trackpad - i use VoodooPS2trackpad - but its up to you see what works best.

6) see 2.

7) sleep not working is often from a USB issue. need to look at logs and check on EHC1/EHC2 DSDT mods.

• Like 1

@tluck

Thanks for the help buddy!
I did try the vga patch from your config.plist 1366x768 for vga. It did not work. I'll give up on it if I don't get any more ideas.

Regarding the sporadically unresponsive keyboard/mouse issue, I'm also using VoodooPS2Controller. 

I have no fix for the mic issue either.

Finally got PCI-E USB3.0 expresscard to work on 10.12.4. So happy!

Here are the 2 things I used:

1. The driver

2. The kext

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow Hackintoshers :D

I come to present my full guide on how to install Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan on any Lenovo Thinkpad L420. I understand this is not a highly popular laptop outside corporations, I don’t even know if it was ever sold to the general public, so I guess this post will help me know that hahah anyway a friend of mine gave me two of them, one with i5 another with i3. This tutorial applies to any of those models. It should also apply to older versions of Mac OS X all the way until Snow Leopard (little modifications required as well as appropriate kexts)

First, screenshot proof of beautiful functionality

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.52.34.png

What is working

WiFi , Bluetooth, Airdrop (Wifi replaced with Atheros AR9285)

Full QE/CI acceleration with integrated Intel HD3000 graphics

Trackpad with 1 finger , 2 finger and 3 finger gestures

keyboard as well as function keys (brightness, volume)

Battery percentage

Sleep, Shutdown and Reboot

Sound working on ALC269 mobile

DVD Drive

DisplayPort audio and video

VGA out

USB 3.0 ExpressCard (Renesas)

iMessage and Facetime

Recovery Partition

What is not working

You tell me :P

Install bootloader (Clover) to El Capitan USB install media

You should select your USB in the Clover installer and then hit “Customize”

Select the next options:

Install Clover in the ESP

Install boot0ss in MBR

Clover EFI 64bits SATA

CSMVideoDxe-64

EmuVariableUEFI-64

OsxAptioFix2Drv-64

Fat64

Configuring the bootloader

After installation is complete, the EFI partition we want to configure will already be mounted, so we proceed to open it and do the following

Install HFSPlus.efi and NTFS.efi in drivers64UEFI folder and remove VboxHFS.efiOpen the folder /EFI/Clover/kexts and delete all the folders starting by 10 and leave only the “other” folderIn the above mentioned “other” folder place the kexts that I will quote next (you can download the ones attached to the post, but I always recommend the latest versions) :

ACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleALC.kext

BroadcomBluetooth.kext

CodecCommander.kext

DisableTurboBoostBattery.kext

FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext

FakePCIID.kext

FakeSMC, HWInfo, IntelCPUMonitor (HwSensors3 from Slice)

GenericUSBXHCI.kext (only if you use an USB3.0 ExpressCard)

IntelBacklight.kext

RealtekRTL8111.kext

toledaARPT.kext (if you use Atheros AR9285)

USBInjectAll.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext ( tluck's version )

attachicon.gifkextpack Lenovo L420 .zip

After all the kexts are in the correct folder you should tweak your config.plist as follows, I recommend using Clover Configurator

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.41.30.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.42.18.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.42.33.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.42.45.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.42.55.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.43.09.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.43.18.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.43.27.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.43.37.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.44.14.png

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla 2017-01-18 a las 17.44.27.png

Lenovo mostly whitelist the Wifi cards on their laptops (and some desktops) so you will have to use a custom BIOS for this. There is one here luckily.

https://app.box.com/s/j4fffsagyzlohxmnvq6t

If you need me to explain how to flash it then you shouldn’t really be Hackintoshing in the first place.

After you have flashed the BIOS make sure you set the SATA controller to AHCI. You should be able to boot from the Clover USB and install Mac OS X

Remember to use a GUID partition scheme for the drive you will use. Recovery partition should be generated automatically by the OS X installer.

Enjoy your new HackBook :D

PS: DSDT and SSDT patches tutorial for this specific laptop are on their way

Hi, could you update the guide so that sleep issue does not occur? I could not understand the thread between you and rehabman. I too have to force restart the laptop everytime I put it to sleep. Thanks in advance.

Hi, could you update the guide so that sleep issue does not occur? I could not understand the thread between you and rehabman. I too have to force restart the laptop everytime I put it to sleep. Thanks in advance.

I am working on a new guide for our beloved Thinkpad L420 with macOS Sierra, which is running nicer than El Capitan for me and with less bugs. Stay tuned friend

• Like 1