[Guide] Sierra / High Sierra on ASUS Z170M PLUS / DSDT

MaLd0n

350 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @MaLd0n! Thanks for your effort in supporting the community by your very complete and working DSDT's! :) 

Few weeks ago i bought this ASUS Z170M-PLUS board and got very happy to see your ready-to-start DSDT here. Before, on my older Hack i used to configure ACPI via SSDT hotpatches (no patched DSDT) like Rehabman preaches around at the other board...

But a good prepared DSDT with everything inside is okay too for me. I helps a lot when you're unfamiliar with a more recent platform.

A few things catched my eyes:

Will you change your tutorial to use PluginType=1 solution for CPU PM some time? Because you added it in DSDT but your guide offers the "old" way by Ssdtprgen.sh... 

And btw your Clover config looks a little weird in some points... --> Smart UPS? Generate P & C States? USB Injection? External Icons patch? I having a feeling that says, they're not needed. :P

Your zipped config.plist looks a lot better. Just needless USB injection properties.

Don't get me wrong. Those properties just catched my attention and i simply wanted to notify you.

first, with ssdts u dont have a essentials patch, like realocate, it's a nonsense method

nothing is wrong, all is checked in my config.plist work in all configs, read about, take many tests ;)

-plug in type, many ppl like a tests, dont need sucks ssdts, have all in DSDT if u can test a hwp, but remember, Apple dont use it in iMacs, not now(btw, pike ssdt have a pt1)

-https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI#acpi_smartups

-u dont need SSDT for PM, just use generate p and c states, generate c3, c6, c7

-use ever usb injection, ownership and clockid, work in all cases, no problems if u use or not 

-external icons, use ever too, solve old problem with dvd error...

the people need to read, 90% is here, other 10%, find in a book

Yes, like i was trying to say: There are more ways to do ACPI corrections. Depends on, what you're trying to do and what is needed to change... i fully agree with you that its more clean to do all the mods locally in their files. There wasn't any criticism.

And i didn't say your config.plist is wrong. Those options are rather redundant or not needed. They give u a working system, of course...

External Icons patch: I didn't use dvd anymore. So you're probably right here.

Usb injection got added by you in DSDT. Ownership is same like Hands-On in bios etc... that's what i wanted to say. Those things are dedundant, but not "wrong".

Okay, i see you did all that on purpose. Then im mistaken here. :) 

I did recognise your effort and lots of work you did here for the community. And that was basically my primary intend, to thank for. Not to spit fire... :lol:

Your DSDT works absolutely perfect here! But i'm not using P&C States injection by Clover. I'm relying on toleda's recent guide for native CPU PM. But it's NOT the only one working, like you said. ;) 

• 1 month later...

Hi, MiKM.

I've got my FakeSMC kexts in /Library/Extensions folder (i've attached it).

Okay, but its better to place those unsigned kexts in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder.

Please post your clean ACPI files. Reboot into Clover menu and press F4. Then post all files in EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin here. Those in "Send me...zip" are already patched ones.

You can mount your EFI partition by Clover Configurator or ESP Mounter Pro.

Edited by MiKM

Okay, but its better to place those unsigned kexts in EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder.

Please post your clean ACPI files. Reboot into Clover menu and press F4. Then post all files in EFI/Clover/ACPI/origin here. Those in "Send me...zip" are already patched ones.

You can mount your EFI partition by Clover Configurator or ESP Mounter Pro.

Do i need to place all my kexts files to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder? Or only FakeSMC? Do i need to replace files or just copy?

I've attached my "origin folder".

origin.zip

Don't get me wrong. It's not needed to move those kexts. But it's more clean to keep "hacking" kexts out of your system partition...
Affected kexts are: FakeSMC*.kext (all of them), CodecCommander.kext, IntelMausiEthernet.kext, realtekALC.kext
Move (not copy) them to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder. You can use system specific folders like 10.12 but don't forget that they are only used for that specific macOS version. After that refresh your kext cache.

sudo touch /Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

What is AppleUSBXHCI for? Is it a patched one? I would recommend to delete it (in /Library/Extensions, NOT in S/L/E) and use USBInjectAll.kext from Rehabman and to create a port injection config.

I will try to look over your ACPI files within coming week. Or maybe MaLd0n will do it before, if he gets time...

Don't get me wrong. It's not needed to move those kexts. But it's more clean to keep "hacking" kexts out of your system partition...

Affected kexts are: FakeSMC*.kext (all of them), CodecCommander.kext, IntelMausiEthernet.kext, realtekALC.kext

Move (not copy) them to EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder. You can use system specific folders like 10.12 but don't forget that they are only used for that specific macOS version. After that refresh your kext cache.

sudo touch /Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

What is AppleUSBXHCI for? Is it a patched one? I would recommend to delete it (in /Library/Extensions, NOT in S/L/E) and use USBInjectAll.kext from Rehabman and to create a port injection config.

I will try to look over your ACPI files within coming week. Or maybe MaLd0n will do it before, if he gets time...

Thank you. I did what you advise. Still waiting for the help with dsdt.

• 2 months later...

Hey Mald0n,

You helped me out earlier in the year with my DSDT and got everything running smoothly, I’ve just updated to High Sierra and my install boots ok but gets to the login screen then looses signal from the monitor, the only way I can boot is if I disable nvidia web drivers in clover options at boot. I’ve seen reports of this on other forums and wonder if it’s down to my DSDT file causing the issue. Do I need to edit anything?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

• Like 1

Hey Mald0n,

You helped me out earlier in the year with my DSDT and got everything running smoothly, I’ve just updated to High Sierra and my install boots ok but gets to the login screen then looses signal from the monitor, the only way I can boot is if I disable nvidia web drivers in clover options at boot. I’ve seen reports of this on other forums and wonder if it’s down to my DSDT file causing the issue. Do I need to edit anything?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

dont need other edit, just update kext

NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext.zip

and use EmuVariableUefi-64.efi

• Like 1

dont need other edit, just update kext

attachicon.gifNvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext.zip

and use EmuVariableUefi-64.efi

Thats doesn't seem to have worked.  Used Clover configurator to enable EmuVaribleUefi-64.efi and dropped the .kext into /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other. 

Any ideas? Do I need to install an uptown date version of Lilu?

EDIT: OK I went ahead and updated Lilu, FakeSMC etc and all working now :)

Many thanks.

• Like 1