Amd Rx 480 with Rx 460

coltonh

7 posts in this topic

So this may be a shot in the dark. Hopefully im posting in the correct section. I have a amd fx8350 no onboard graphics with a amd radeon rx 480. I have sierra installed and after the past week or so i have come to realize it isnt supported at least just yet. Im seeing mixed answers though on the rx 460. My question is could i take a rx 460 and a rx 480 and trick the OS into using the rx 460 as a onboard graphics then try to get the rx 480 working? Right now i have to boot into Sierra with safemode which obviously i have no acceleration. Hopefully this hasnt been asked on here before but every thread i have seen has talked about the rx 480 with onboard graphics. So is this possible? If not could i at least get the rx 460 with acceleration? Hopefully someone could help me out with this.

Supposedly, you can do this. I have the same problem no onboard gfx and a rx480.  The problem is that rx480 needs a x16 lane. On my board if I put a native card in slot 1 and make sure it boots to qe/cl, then add the rx480 to slot 2,  slot 2 for me becomes an x8. X8 won't work. Also supposedly the rx480 will work on a x4 lane, and my board can give an x4 lane if I populate 3 pcie slots, I did have 3 cards and put the rx480 in the 3rd slot but it wouldn't work. I think we might just have to hope Apple adopts the rx480, then we'll be good to go. But you can try fakeid in clover alter the x4100 kext, Good Luck!

Supposedly, you can do this. I have the same problem no onboard gfx and a rx480.  The problem is that rx480 needs a x16 lane. On my board if I put a native card in slot 1 and make sure it boots to qe/cl, then add the rx480 to slot 2,  slot 2 for me becomes an x8. X8 won't work. Also supposedly the rx480 will work on a x4 lane, and my board can give an x4 lane if I populate 3 pcie slots, I did have 3 cards and put the rx480 in the 3rd slot but it wouldn't work. I think we might just have to hope Apple adopts the rx480, then we'll be good to go. But you can try fakeid in clover alter the x4100 kext, Good Luck!

8x won't work huh?

jc6OYPX.png

• Like 2

8x won't work huh?

jc6OYPX.png

I have been trying to get this working for 2 weeks. I tried fakeid in clover.I tried with patched x4100 kext, no go. I tried a native 5750 in slot 1, it runs sierra qe/cl in sierra fine. I add my rx480 to slot 3 with added patched s/l/e extension, won't boot. I tried one other kext to patch mod by carpenter25, no go. I was told the 8 lane was the reason. I believed it. So, thanks for the correction. Do you have any suggestions on how to get a rx480 working on a board without igp. Any and all help appreciated, Thanks johnm

I have been trying to get this working for 2 weeks. I tried fakeid in clover.I tried with patched x4100 kext, no go. I tried a native 5750 in slot 1, it runs sierra qe/cl in sierra fine. I add my rx480 to slot 3 with added patched s/l/e extension, won't boot. I tried one other kext to patch mod by carpenter25, no go. I was told the 8 lane was the reason. I believed it. So, thanks for the correction. Do you have any suggestions on how to get a rx480 working on a board without igp. Any and all help appreciated, Thanks johnm

Enable CSM and use the patch from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312582-amd-polaris-ids-on-1012-sierra/?p=2349396very last post

• Like 1

O.K. I have used this patch before, no go. Are you using a 2 card solution with this patch? Do you unplug the first card at boot? I appreciate this info. I'll try again and again, Thanks johnm

No second card have DP plugged into the RX 480 the entire time, doesn't get a boot screen but thats expected

• Like 1