Sierra 10.12 on HP XW8600

selkie707

87 posts in this topic

Thanks for clarifying that out selkie707. I've been having the itch of selling my workstation, even though now things seem to be working well with it.  I'd definitely try keep it for a while until I get rid of my precision 690.  Any new discoveries with the xw8600 since the hack? Anything worth noting?

Well in my quest to see if i could get an efi version of windows 10 working and booting, i accidentally wiped the whole drive, including the osx partition.(Technically VMWare and its auto install feature did this)

The plus side of that is i got to verify the guide in the OP works.

I skipped using the beast installer from the other website however and just installed the bootloader manually and copied the fake smc drivers.

However in the process i forgot to copy the dsdt.aml file to the drives efi partition while simultaneously breaking my installer usb. Leaving neither bootable.

Luckily i was able to mount the efi partition in linux and was able to copy the dsdt over to save the system.

Going to continue seeing if i can get efi windows to work.

For posterity to mount an efi partition in linux you have to:

mkdir /media/test

mount /dev/DRIVEPARTITIONNAME /media/test

nautilus /media/test

where nautilus is a file explorer program, i did the above in an ubuntu live cd.

• Like 1

@selkie707 Ouch, that must've sucked man. Trial and error is the whole lively hood of hackintosh. I've tried to triple boot with mac/windows/Linux before in the past and was unsuccessful so I left that alone.  I then learned how to triple boot with Android instead of Linux. The whole process took me some time to get used to and if the whole initial setup wasn't done in order it's gonna take longer to get it done.  I just did the same thing on my Probook 4540s this afternoon and it was no pain at all.  Thanks to a buddy of mine I met on https://www.youtube.com/user/OsxEnWindows displaying how to get it done. 

My question to you is, you mentioned you didn't use the beast program to prepare the usb, how did you end up doing it and format it to mbr instead of guid?

• 1 month later...

I also have a HP xw8600 workstation currently running El Caption with Enoch. When I discovered this thread, I immediately thought I'd give it a try and switch over to Sierra. I followed the OP's guide very close and made a USB installer with a certain tool from a freshly downloaded MAS version of Sierra. Everything seems to work fine, except I cannot see my disks neither under disk utility nor diskutil. I changed the SATA emulation mode to RAID+AHCI and installed AHCIPortInjector.kext, but still no luck. Under El Capitan, my disks are recognized in AHCI mode. I'm using the OP's DSDT.aml and my BIOS version is 1.46. Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything you need to get you started is on the first post, including the kexts and everything you need to get going.  You could create a fresh usb installer with El Capitan or Sierra and install the clover bootloader in legacy (non-eufi) to the usb and just copy and replace the folders from the EFI on usb with the folders downloaded from post #1 package.

Hello Blaggah,

thank you for responding. As I said, I followed the guide as close as possible and used the kexts and DSDT.aml from the first post. Still, my disks are not recognized in the Sierra installer. I don't understand why my xw8600 behaves differently than yours. In the meantime, I have successfully installed Sierra with Enoch. Could the BIOS version make a difference? Does the DSDT.aml possibly not fit my system?

• 1 month later...

I have this setup but can't make sierra 10.12.5 work

my attempts result in refusing new kext com.apple.driver.AppleLSIFusionMPT - already prelinked

AppleACPIPlatformExpert::start failed

unable to find driver for this platform \'ACPI\

anyone have any idea on have to resolve this?

perhaps a link to a previous working version?

tia

• 4 months later...

It's starting to get cold so therefore i switched back to using my XW8600 again. Just recently did the update to 10.12.6 and so far everything seems to be working except for sound that only seems to be working via hdmi audio. Can't seem to get AppleALC and AppleHDA to work anymore. I even tried the latest AppleALC and Lilu kexts and still no dice.  My audio codec doesn't even seem to be detected when using DPCIManager.app.  Anyone knows how to get that to work? I just wanted better control over my audio volume etc..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally i managed to fix the audio issue.. Not sure why i still had to add the device id 12 under clover configurator as well when it was already added in the dsdt. If i don't add anything under device in clover configurator, then it shows as 0 under Audio id from system report. Anyone knows why that is?

----

P.S Almost forgot, the main issue why audio wouldn't load when using DPCIManager was because audio was disabled under the bios and i wasn't aware since it works via windows. Really not sure why. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/10/2017 at 9:00 AM, selkie707 said:

Most older guides for this computer said to select Separate IDE in bios but I left it at SATA / AHCI mode with no problems.

The HDD I installed OSX to was not in the blue boot sata port.

I think I did disable the serial port, but I can't find the place in the bios atm to check, such a bad ui.

--------------------------------

Guide

--------------------------------

....etc...

You can now update to 10.12.3 if your install disk was on a prior version.

If something breaks after an update, just boot from your installer usb and use kext wizard to reinstall the kexts attached to this post again.

My upgrade to Sierra has not been so smooth.  I'm probably stuck at the Apple Logo in 10.12.6 due to driver changes and not being able to find a 10.12.3 or prior installer.

There is no -v output except

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
(lol - I might have missed a +) 

I'm running XW8600 with dual X5428, 24GB 1067mh ECC, 1GB GTX 620. this setup worked in ML with a certain loader and I figured I'd give it a go Clover is v1437. Loading this OP. aml gives me a basic set of parameters and following other peoples guides but here I am 2020 trying to do what seems impossible.

Can anyone fill in the gaps?

Edited by OyeMiGato
I didn't proper quote the post for the thread.