Sierra 10.12 on HP XW8600

selkie707

87 posts in this topic

Thanks for trying to help but when I try you whole clover folder I get this screwed up graphical screen. I just tried your dsdt and config.plist and it booted up fine but my problem still persist. I wonder if it's related to bios settings. I've got the most important things enabled so I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time with this thing.

======Update

Also with your DSDT and config.plist, after a good 30 mins of sleep, when I woke up the machine it just rebooted.  I have no clue what's going on with my machine now.  I just wish @Benjudas still had his machine and maybe he could look into it also.  I'm gonna try El Capitan again.  

Np, starting to think your computer just hates you and has decided it doesn't want to sleep.

• Like 1

Im still going at it man.  Every other usb installers I made don't wanna work except for the first Sierra one I made which is what I'm using now to boot off the ssd on an USB adapter.  

=======UPDATE

So after a lot of tweaking and investigating, I finally managed to get a full shutdown.  The thing I did differently was the script from [Guide] Fix issue of "Disk not ejected properly" - OSx86 10.11 (El Capitan) - InsanelyMac Forum. I did it early this morning but fell asleep and didn't restart the machine.  Before I left the house today for work, I went ahead and did a shut down as soon as machine got to login screen, I didn't bother to login. I just shut the machine from there, and to my surprise it shut off with no funny business. Now I'm not sure if it's because there was nothing running which caused that but I performed that before and it was still happening. So all in all, im not sure if the script from that post made a difference so more testing to be done.  If that fixed the issue for me, Ill be a happy camper. Even though the script doesn't seem to work for that purpose on Sierra anyways, so we shall see.

OK thanks, but I stuck on the 'certain program' bit? What program?

Create a USB installer with a certain program that automates making a clover installer usbs, make sure you formatted the USB with MBR and not GPT before using the installer or the computer will not be able to boot from it.

I'm stuck on what program and what to do?

what step did you take to create the  ssdt?  You should be all fine without the usb installer as long as you install clover boot loader properly to the hard drive.. One trick is, to copy the CLOVER folder from the usb installer to the desktop, and then install the boot loader to the hard drive, after that the efi will be mounted on the desktop, just copy and paste/replace the CLOVER folder that's inside the mounted mounted efi partition.  

• Like 1

what step did you take to create the  ssdt?  You should be all fine without the usb installer as long as you install clover boot loader properly to the hard drive.. One trick is, to copy the CLOVER folder from the usb installer to the desktop, and then install the boot loader to the hard drive, after that the efi will be mounted on the desktop, just copy and paste/replace the CLOVER folder that's inside the mounted mounted efi partition.

I've tried to do this but it still wouldn't boot without the USB...

Only one hard drive. And yes I have

Make sure the hard drive is not plugged into the SAS ports on the motherboard.

Try various SATA ports an booting off of them.

Boot from your usb and use https://sourceforge.net/projects/cloverefiboot/ to install clover with the settings specified in the OP. Make sure you select the HDD and not your usb when you install.

Define what you mean by not boot. What is on the screen, what happens, etc. Will help us to help you.

By chance did you ever run the other program you were supposed to after installing, which has multiple beasts in the name. That should have installed the boot loader on the hdd to begin with.

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying that out selkie707. I've been having the itch of selling my workstation, even though now things seem to be working well with it.  I'd definitely try keep it for a while until I get rid of my precision 690.  Any new discoveries with the xw8600 since the hack? Anything worth noting?