Sierra 10.12 on HP XW8600

selkie707

87 posts in this topic

@Selkie707 That's awesome news man, i'm glad you're able to get things working with your rig too.  I've been using mine since the day I got it going with El Capitian and i've experienced not a single fluke.  Everything is stable and I couldn't be happier.  I also have a Sierra partition also, that works well but it's suffering from the lan kext to load because the driver doesn't have full support for Sierra yet.  Just waiting for @Benjudas and the other developer to do what they do best and keeping us updated on that when it's available.  I'm gonna try what you suggested for the windows part, i already have windows installed on another drive, ill just run clover again and select those drivers you showed in the post and see if it works.  

What do you mean by the only bug is now resuming sleep from usb?  Do you mean waking up the machine by either the mouse or keyboard? If so, i found out that the machine won't resume if you don't press ther the mouse or keyboard a second time and you hear feedback from the speakers.  At least thats how it runs on my machine.

@Selkie707 That's awesome news man, i'm glad you're able to get things working with your rig too.  I've been using mine since the day I got it going with El Capitian and i've experienced not a single fluke.  Everything is stable and I couldn't be happier.  I also have a Sierra partition also, that works well but it's suffering from the lan kext to load because the driver doesn't have full support for Sierra yet.  Just waiting for @Benjudas and the other developer to do what they do best and keeping us updated on that when it's available.  I'm gonna try what you suggested for the windows part, i already have windows installed on another drive, ill just run clover again and select those drivers you showed in the post and see if it works.  

What do you mean by the only bug is now resuming sleep from usb?  Do you mean waking up the machine by either the mouse or keyboard? If so, i found out that the machine won't resume if you don't press ther the mouse or keyboard a second time and you hear feedback from the speakers.  At least thats how it runs on my machine.

The updated lan kext is now included in the OP and does work after resuming from sleep, at least i can confirm for sierra it does.

Yes, when hitting a key it attempts to resume but then goes back to sleep, i will try hitting a key again after it begins to start.

If that key thing works then the desktop really is fully supported.

Last things that really need to be tested is installing windows in efi/uefi mode and linux booting.

Oh wow, i wasn't aware of it. For me on my Sierra partition, the lan kext doesn't load so therefore no internet.  I'll see if it's it's the same and report back.

Yep just make sure to manually delete the old one since new one has a different name

I never had it in the first place using Benjudas pack.  The lan kext is inside IonetworkingFamily kext so i have to put your new lan kext inside and install with kext wizard and test to see if it works.

=====

I completely forgot that the lan kext is integrated through clover configurator and I don't want to mess things up.  I'm just waiting to hear from Benjudas first before i attempt anything. At least for now, i got a fully working machine on El Capitan.  I'm just not sure the proper step to take to make the change on the lan kext. I'd like to be able to revert back to his in case it doesn't work for me.

I never had it in the first place using Benjudas pack.  The lan kext is inside IonetworkingFamily kext so i have to put your new lan kext inside and install with kext wizard and test to see if it works.

=====

I completely forgot that the lan kext is integrated through clover configurator and I don't want to mess things up.  I'm just waiting to hear from Benjudas first before i attempt anything. At least for now, i got a fully working machine on El Capitan.  I'm just not sure the proper step to take to make the change on the lan kext. I'd like to be able to revert back to his in case it doesn't work for me.

I read benjudas post, if it is just a clover patch you should just be able to remove it with clover configurator then install the new kext.

I am assuming you are referring to his updated 10.11 post which does everything via patches instead of kext files.

The patch should be at one of these locations and should be labeled:

http://imgur.com/a/RkmcH

Ok, let me go and try it.  Do you put the lan kext in other folder or the 10.12 folder?

==========Update

Okay, here are my findings so far with Sierra. I'm on the Sierra partition now, everything seems to be working as it should apart from the lack of network access and power management which i used to suffer from before are now gone after i found the proper web driver and installed it everything worked after that first reboot.  I wanted to test sleep, and it worked and tried to reboot it worked. Now upon starting it up again, it's already defaulted to use Web Drivers but i get a black screen upon the login screen which i noticed the only way to get signal again was by removing hdmi cable from dvi adapter from the gpu and plug it back in and then signal reappeared.  Weird huh?  Any of you experienced that? If so, whats the permanent fix?

Ok, let me go and try it.  Do you put the lan kext in other folder or the 10.12 folder?

==========Update

Okay, here are my findings so far with Sierra. I'm on the Sierra partition now, everything seems to be working as it should apart from the lack of network access and power management which i used to suffer from before are now gone after i found the proper web driver and installed it everything worked after that first reboot.  I wanted to test sleep, and it worked and tried to reboot it worked. Now upon starting it up again, it's already defaulted to use Web Drivers but i get a black screen upon the login screen which i noticed the only way to get signal again was by removing hdmi cable from dvi adapter from the gpu and plug it back in and then signal reappeared.  Weird huh?  Any of you experienced that? If so, whats the permanent fix?

Just use a program called kext wizard to install the lan kext, then repair perm and cache with the program as well.

Kext wizard installs the kext to System/Library/Extensions on the OSX install partition.

Repairing permissions and clearing cache is important to make sure file perms are right, etc.

That black screen is a gpu issue and IDK how to fix problems with that, as my quadro fx3700 is natively supported by osx.

I would recommend googling something like "black screen sleep GPUMODELHERE osx" 

Would probably come up with a few threads, might not even have to specify gpu model

Edit, after some quick googling:

http://osxarena.com/2016/10/nvidia-black-screen-fix/

Ok thanks i'll look into that. So one new finding i found, after switchin to the new kext for lan, my machine automatically reboots after shut down. That wasn't an issue before i did the switch. Oh and I put the lan kext inside the 10.12 folder. 

==========Update

Ok so question here, what SMBios are you using because i have found a lot of people online saying that a wrong smbios chosen can cause black screen on boot or sleep.

I cant link the article i found because it is on the tonxmacosx86 website, but the title of the posting was Solving NVIDIA Driver Install & Loading Problems. Problem 4 is what you should look at as it lists two different ways to try and fix black screen problems.

Maybe look at changing your smbios to IMac 14,1 which is the model i am using and i know works 

In response to the auto reboot after shutdown, I 100% do not have that issue.

possibly try:

https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI#DSDT-/-Fixes

Turn off wake from lan option in bios setting 

Which dsdt are you using?

Thats the exact SMBios im using and as far as dsdt goes, im using the new dsdt from Benjudas guide for El Capitain 10.11.6.  I'll try your DSDT and see if that works for me.

Another thing i found, typing in terminal

syslog |grep -i "Wake reason" 

Will tell you why your computer turned back on/restarted

Might help you troubleshoot

Yeah, i knew about that but didn't try it yet. I found another finding, remember how you asked me earlier to ask Benjudas to see if he could get internal speakers to work?  So I'm using the DSDT from your new pack now and you're still using layout id 28 on it but Benjudas DSDT uses layout id 11.  I changed the layout id from 28 (1C) to (0B) 11 and i get sound but it's just the inernal speakers. It doesn't matter if i choose line out or internal speakers. I'm guessing it's all in the AppleALC.kext also because i didn't change it i'm still using the one from Benjudas 10.11.6 guide.  

Yeah, i knew about that but didn't try it yet. I found another finding, remember how you asked me earlier to ask Benjudas to see if he could get internal speakers to work?  So I'm using the DSDT from your new pack now and you're still using layout id 28 on it but Benjudas DSDT uses layout id 11.  I changed the layout id from 28 (1C) to (0B) 11 and i get sound but it's just the inernal speakers. It doesn't matter if i choose line out or internal speakers. I'm guessing it's all in the AppleALC.kext also because i didn't change it i'm still using the one from Benjudas 10.11.6 guide.  

That is correct, i am using MacPeets AppleALC (Which is included in the OPs uploaded archive) and Benjudas generic cpu dsdt with layout 28(Which is also in the OP).

Ok let me revert to both the AppleALC.kext and your dsdt again

======

Weird thing is when i revert to the AppleALC kext in your updated pack and dsdt, sound still was greyed out so i switched back to original. I just now realized that Benjudas kext gives me hdmi audio and the line out with internal speaker is reversed. So i guess you would could say that his kext of AppleALC does give you sound through internal speaker which you have to select line out for.  

Ok let me revert to both the AppleALC.kext and your dsdt again

======

Weird thing is when i revert to the AppleALC kext in your updated pack and dsdt, sound still was greyed out so i switched back to original. I just now realized that Benjudas kext gives me hdmi audio and the line out with internal speaker is reversed. So i guess you would could say that his kext of AppleALC does give you sound through internal speaker which you have to select line out for.  

I think you may be having trouble since you are attempting to combine two different guides for different OS versions. One thought I just had, does clover kext patching occur once then saves the file, or is it temporary and applied every boot. I ask this because if the patch is applied and saved then just removing the patch from your info.plist would not unpatch appleHDA.kext. You would have to restore it to a vanilla one then install AppleALC.

Granted I do not know how clover handles patching and if it is temporary or not. I would assume its a permanent patch since if a computer shut down while running that might cause issues next startup if it wasn't changed back.

I think the sound output/input devices that show have something to do with what layout id was used. Personally i am ok without internal speakers working since on my setup i have both line out and headphone port working and both are labeled correctly. Granted I do not have a gpu that uses hdmi audio.

Yeah, you may be right.. I'm in the middle of reinstalling on an ssd now and seem to be having a hard time.  I'll try Sierra first on the ssd and if all work i'll then use the same efi folder to create an el capitan on regular mechanical hard drive which i'm going to be dual booting with windows 10. Hopefully all work.  Wish me luck.

======Update

Alright so now i have a fresh Sierra on SSD and El Capitan on another 500gb mechanical drive with Windows 10 pro.  I'm still facing the windows cannot boot upon selecting the windows partition to boot. I made sure i had the exact settings you displayed on clover bootloader.  Don't know where i went wrong honestly..

Yeah, you may be right.. I'm in the middle of reinstalling on an ssd now and seem to be having a hard time.  I'll try Sierra first on the ssd and if all work i'll then use the same efi folder to create an el capitan on regular mechanical hard drive which i'm going to be dual booting with windows 10. Hopefully all work.  Wish me luck.

======Update

Alright so now i have a fresh Sierra on SSD and El Capitan on another 500gb mechanical drive with Windows 10 pro.  I'm still facing the windows cannot boot upon selecting the windows partition to boot. I made sure i had the exact settings you displayed on clover bootloader.  Don't know where i went wrong honestly..

What exactly happens when you select boot windows from clover. Visuals, anything, might help.

What port on the motherboard are the windows hdd and osx hdd on.

I seem to remember having weird issues using different ports back when i was trying things out. I would try moving the sata ports around. Windows hdd on the blue port, on and off the SAS ports, etc.

It could be that bios block io only allowed me to boot the windows install i had on a second partition on the same hard drive i installed osx to.

I will try installing windows on a second hdd tomorrow to see if it still works then.

If i have time in the next week or so I might revamp the guide and archive to make it possible to just drag and drop the archive onto the efi partition. I haven't tested using those kexts when not installed in S/L/E though. Could be problems in the guide anyway, especially with how many changes happen when attempting different fixes and kexts while attempting to get a working install.

It was my mistake, i didn't select the bios block io from clover bootloader. After that, windows booted up fine on the other drive.  Ever since this new install on SSD with Sierra, i'm now facing the black screen from sleep also. Like if the machine was sleeping for a long time, it won't work.  I'm really starting to think that it's an issue with Sierra  because with El Capitan, i didn't have this issue at all. Does your machine sleep normally and not restart after you shut it down?  I noticed that my machine does it like previously if web drivers isn't loaded upon boot.  

It was my mistake, i didn't select the bios block io from clover bootloader. After that, windows booted up fine on the other drive.  Ever since this new install on SSD with Sierra, i'm now facing the black screen from sleep also. Like if the machine was sleeping for a long time, it won't work.  I'm really starting to think that it's an issue with Sierra  because with El Capitan, i didn't have this issue at all. Does your machine sleep normally and not restart after you shut it down?  I noticed that my machine does it like previously if web drivers isn't loaded upon boot.  

Ok so that might be a problem with web drivers then. I just finished testing sleep and shutdown. Both work properly. 

Just by google search i see a lot of people with your card having sleep, shutdown, black screen and other issues when using web drivers. Might just want to try using stock ones. Not much gaming is going to be done with a gtx760 on osx.

I am going to give you a bunch of info on my setup so you can check and try things.

I am using SMBios Imac 14,1

I deleted nullcpupowermanagement.kext from library/extensions. I dont seem to need it with my cpu.

I am on the latest bios for our system.

I have wake on lan disabled in the bios

Clover:

I have the following kernel and kext patches:

Applertc

asusaicpum

kernelpm

boot flag:

dart=0

ACPI:

FIXUSB

FIXHPET

Adddtgp

My dsdt from the op has generic cpu code, not the one made for your cpus that benjudas made. So i have generate P and C states checked in the acpi options.

All of these options can be changed in clover configurator. Most of these are set by default with that one program with beast in its name used for installing drivers and stuff after a fresh install.

Also.

In clover configurator try enabling FixShutdown in the ACPI page.

So I went ahead and swapped my graphics card to the fx1800 and same thing happening. I'm going to try the FixShutdown and see what happens.

Here is my entire clover folder from my efi partition, try using this. Specifically the dsdt and config.plist file should be tried. I would also make sure nvidia web drivers are uninstalled.

Archive.zip

Thanks for trying to help but when I try you whole clover folder I get this screwed up graphical screen. I just tried your dsdt and config.plist and it booted up fine but my problem still persist. I wonder if it's related to bios settings. I've got the most important things enabled so I'm not sure why I'm having such a hard time with this thing.

======Update

Also with your DSDT and config.plist, after a good 30 mins of sleep, when I woke up the machine it just rebooted.  I have no clue what's going on with my machine now.  I just wish @Benjudas still had his machine and maybe he could look into it also.  I'm gonna try El Capitan again.  

post-1199206-0-57970600-1486848581_thumb.jpg