Sierra 10.12 on HP XW8600

selkie707

87 posts in this topic

Most older guides for this computer said to select Separate IDE in bios but I left it at SATA / AHCI mode with no problems.

The HDD I installed OSX to was not in the blue boot sata port.

I think I did disable the serial port, but I can't find the place in the bios atm to check, such a bad ui.

--------------------------------

Guide

Format a USB with MBR

Create a USB installer with a certain program that automates making a clover installer usbs, make sure you formatted the USB with MBR and not GPT before using the installer or the computer will not be able to boot from it.

From the attached files copy dsdt.aml to the patched folder in acpi/patched

Install kexts with kext wizard to the installer USB. The only kexts that are technically required at this point are AppleLSIFusionMPT.kext and AHCIPortInjector.kext. These enable SAS support and Sata support so that drives are detected for the install.

I had a quadro 3700 so it was natively supported in OS X, so I cannot help you with graphics card problems and booting. However a staple at this point is booting with nvdisable=1 -v and sometimes with -x

Install OSX and reboot.

Run a certain program which helps you install drivers and boot-loader after installing OSX.

Under drivers install all 3 FakeSMC drivers under the MISC section.

in the bootloader section select clover legacy.

click the build tab and install.

Before restarting the computer use Kext Wizard to install the included kexts to your OS X hard drive, make sure you don't select your usb, then rebuild cache.

Generate an SSDT, there are multiple guides out there.

Reboot.

You should now have a functional Sierra install.

You can now update to 10.12.3 if your install disk was on a prior version.

If something breaks after an update, just boot from your installer usb and use kext wizard to reinstall the kexts attached to this post again.

How to dual boot windows:

Create the windows partition with boot camp or disk utility

Boot the windows installer usb normally through the bios of the computer, or clover(Will not work from clover if you have not used clover settings defined below or in the updated guide).

When you get to partitioning phase, install in the area you created for windows.

You may have to delete the created windows partition then install in that free space

After windows installs, it will have overwritten the clover bootloader.

Use your sierra installer usb to boot osx then install clover again, to overwrite the windows one.
Use these settings:

The key settings are the first page, the other two images show what drivers i had installed for different file system support.

http://imgur.com/a/QB79j

In case the above image one day is no longer up, the crucial settings are:

Bootloader:

Installboot0ss in MBR

CloverEFI:

CloverEFI 64-bits BiosBlockIO

Drivers:

all drivers needed for file system support of OSs you need to boot

Now you can boot into windows from clover

----------------------

Current Problems

----------------------

Internal speaker does not work, sound out from front panel and back does.

----------------------

Helpful Info

----------------------

For posterity searching for drivers:

• BCM5755 is the ethernet adapter
  • LSI 1068 is the SAS Card - THIS IS NOT A 1068E

----------------------

Changelog

----------------------

1/20/17 v2

-Changed to appleHDA from voodoo

-Updated DSDT, dumped from my system on latest bios, only change was making layout-id 28 for the new appleHDA kext

-updated attached files

2/8/17 v3

-Updated DSDT, it is Benjudas generic power management one combined with the audio section from Blaggas. Sound and sleep now works(Resume from sleep with power button) with AppleALC.kext from MacPeet. Both new files are now included with the archive below.

-Removed appleHDA

2/8/17 v4

-Updated BCM5755 driver to latest

-This "should" fix lan after sleep and performance issues under load/many connections

-If updating from prior driver, make sure to manually delete BCM5722.kext from S/L/E before installing the new kext from kext wizard as it has a different name and will not delete the older kext automatically.

-Updated guide and added a guide to dual boot windows

----------------------

Download

----------------------

xw8600 files v4.zip

Sources:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/310592-yosemite-10105-on-hp-xw8600/

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/4555-ahciportinjectorkext/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297954-mavericks-1092-on-hp-xw8600/
https://github.com/jief666/BCM5722D/tree/GigaBug

• Like 2

Wow, just what I was waiting for. I have the exact workstation and I've had it for a couple years and I've itched to get Mac OS X to run on it but could never get it going. I'm going to give it a try when I have the chance sometime this weekend. By the way, can you post some pictures of your bios settings? Also a description of your hardware info would help as well.. Thanks in advance.

Wow, just what I was waiting for. I have the exact workstation and I've had it for a couple few years and I've itched to get Mac OS X to run on it but could never get it going.  I'm going to give it a try when I have the chance sometime this weekend.  By the way, can you post some pictures of your bios settings?  Also a description of your hardware info would help as well.. Thanks in advance.

I just checked bios settings, i have everything set to normal, including vt-x and io turned on. Dart=0 is a boot flag though so they are being disabled i guess during osx boot.

I DID disable the serial port before i installed, no idea if it would be fine with that on as well.

One thing i will say is that i have been unable to get clover to properly boot into windows 10, it sees the drive but upon attempting to boot it, it just has a blinking cursor forever.

To boot back into W10 i have to change the hard drive boot order atm, it hasnt been a huge deal though so i havent spent a lot of time working on it.

During my free time i have been trying to get the ALC262 sound card to work with appleHDA but no luck so far.

While Voodoo does work fine for most things and youtube, it seems to distort sound from music files, no idea why.

I have an xw8600 with

two x5450 processors

Quadro FX 3700

Atto320 SCSI expansion card

onboard SAS 1068 rev 1 PCI-X

Oh ok then, I'll try and power it on this weekend and see if I have any success with it.  Which bios version are you on? Is everything smooth? No major issues aside from the blank screen from sleep?   Try using AppleALC.kext and use layout id 11 for ALC262.  Do you know if you have audio  edit in the dsdt? If so you might have have to change the layout id from the dsdt by using MaciASL app.  Once you open the App, it should find and locate your dsdt, and you could do a search for HDEF, once you find it, look for the "layout-id". look at the first set or characters like 0x05, and change it to 0x0B, then save it to your desktop.

Oh ok then, I'll try and power it on this weekend and see if I have any success with it.  Which bios version are you on? Is everything smooth? No major issues aside from the blank screen from sleep?   Try using AppleALC.kext and use layout id 11 for ALC262.  Do you know if you have audio  edit in the dsdt? If so you might have have to change the layout id from the dsdt by using MaciASL app.  Once you open the App, it should find and locate your dsdt, and you could do a search for HDEF, once you find it, look for the "layout-id". look at the first set or characters like 0x05, and change it to 0x0B, then save it to your desktop.

I am on the latest bios version from hp.

Speaking of bios I have been trying to find any updated firmware for our LSI SAS 1068 chip on the internet but it appears nothing was ever released by HP besides the stock firmware (Its on the XP drivers support page) and a lot of documentation was lost after LSI was taken over by broadcom.

Doesn't help that there is a 1068e version that is PCI that complicates google searching

I did manage to find updated firmware for the 1068 but it was for 1068 rev b4 and I have a 1068 rev b1 so it wouldn't flash, the controller bios from that package did though so I may now be the only person with 6.30 LSI bios and a 1068.

It's not like the SAS chip doesnt work, but i was hoping to find a way to flash it to IT mode and to find a slightly newer revision that 2007.

Everything is completely smooth, I do have a bit of lagging with a bunch of programs open, but i believe that is due to the fact that i only have 4gb of ddr2 installed in this system at the moment.

I will try that audio kext and layout id next, earlier today i was trying various alc262 kexts I found on a german osx86 forum, one did actually show volume sliders but no sound sadly.

The DSDT i have was just taken from one of the other prior xw8600 threads, I couldn't boot the installer or system without it and I didn't know what patches people had used on them in the past to create one myself, it is on my list to attempt though.

Just took a look at the dsdt i am using, found the following;

Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
            }

That is literally all that is there, the dsdt i dumped from my own computer however has a layout id section, pin configuration, etc;

Device (HDEF)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x06)
                        {
                            "layout-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                            }, 

"MaximumBootBeepVolume", 
                            Buffer (0x01)
                            {
                                0x01
                            }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                            Buffer (0x00) {}
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

Any chance you know what patches the others used on our systems dsdt to get it working?

I bet if you go under audio from system info it will say it's using layout id 1. You will have to change the 0x01, to 0x0B, which is layout id 11. Try that and reboot and test audio again.

But it's good to hear that everything is going smooth for you. I might take a crack at it later on tonight depending on what time I get home from work. My system has 32GB ddr2 ram and dual xeons can't remember which one. I'll update my signature after I succeed with it.

--------Update

I had to take a dab at it, i went with El Capitan instead of Sierra because of a lot of Apps incompatibility. I got audio to work with AppleALC kext with layout id 11 and guess what, only through headphone port in the front of the machine. So far it's very responsive and no lags at all. My only issue with it is I'm running dual Xeons X5470 which clock at 3.33ghz and those are considered high power CPUs and i always get a error message upon boot. I think i'm going to have to get the high power cpu heatsinks and see if this error message will disappear upon boot every time. I've literally just finished, more testing to be done.

post-1199206-0-39623000-1484938356_thumb.jpg

My sleep doesn't work properly when using the dsdt in the package. I will mess around with the settings again later on tonight and see if it makes a difference.

------

Ok so i just spent the last few hrs testing and monitoring the system and for the most part it's really stable. Apart from trying to get audio with AppleALC to work properly, i ended up going the voodoo hda route and sound is just fine.  I also noticed that with the dsdt provided in the pack, my machine doesn't go to sleep at all, only the screen goes black but the machine stays on, fans etc.. remain running. Shut down from the apple menu icon doesn't work. I ended up using another DSDT which i had from my initial attempts years ago when trying to get OS X installed. This DSDT fixes my shutdown issue, and system does go to sleep, however upon wake system just reboots.  So far that's my only major issue. Here's the DSDT im using now, just put it to never sleep for now. Hopefully someone could sort this issue out. And also, which smbios did you go with in order to get Sierra installed?  I'm using MacPro 3,1 now with El Capitan. 

DSDT_HPXW8600_EveryCPU.aml.zip

• Like 1

My sleep doesn't work properly when using the dsdt in the package. I will mess around with the settings again later on tonight and see if it makes a difference.

------

Ok so i just spent the last few hrs testing and monitoring the system and for the most part it's really stable. Apart from trying to get audio with AppleALC to work properly, i ended up going the voodoo hda route and sound is just fine.  I also noticed that with the dsdt provided in the pack, my machine doesn't go to sleep at all, only the screen goes black but the machine stays on, fans etc.. remain running. Shut down from the apple menu icon doesn't work. I ended up using another DSDT which i had from my initial attempts years ago when trying to get OS X installed. This DSDT fixes my shutdown issue, and system does go to sleep, however upon wake system just reboots.  So far that's my only major issue. Here's the DSDT im using now, just put it to never sleep for now. Hopefully someone could sort this issue out. And also, which smbios did you go with in order to get Sierra installed?  I'm using MacPro 3,1 now with El Capitan. 

I think your uploaded dsdt didnt attach to the post.

I am using iMac 14,2 in smbios. The mac pro 3,1 smbios does not work with sierra since the machine wasn't supported on it.

I am going to try using voodoohda with both my own dsdt and the original and see if maybe the sound distortion was because the original dsdt i used had basically nothing underneath the sound section.

---------

Tried voodoohda, same distortion as before.

This is using the original dsdt, with the audio code.

So weird that youtube plays correctly yet mp3 files do not.

I am using:

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-58-kings-kings-iii/

to test audio

Well using my own unpatched dsdt, system still boots and works fine, audio is still distorted though

------

I just tried using the appleHDA and HDAenabler from the 10.9.2 thread for our desktops, and it kind of works.

Its the first kext i have found that works with my computer's built in speaker too.

It does still have the distortion when playing mp3 files though, and the headphone port at the front of the computer does not work.

Benjudas mentioned having to change:

"The news is that I managed to run the original AppleHDA.kext with patch for ALC262 and some modifications in Platforms and Layout28 ping config, and activated through HDAEnabler.kext. You need to boot with -f boot flag to sound detected correctly. This is due to an IRQ conflict."

so i will try that flag next, idk what else is left to try after that though, after much googling it seems our audio chip is notorious for having issues.

-----------

His audio kexts do in fact work, but for some reason line out is internal speaker and internal speaker is line out, but at least it works.

Still get distortion with mp3 files though, i wonder if it is just a problem with this sound card and sierra, when you get a chance test an mp3 for me.

After further testing it seems the problem is not mp3 files but that music and some other sounds play okay, but voices have massive distortion, i do not understand this at all.

We need someone who actually understands how to create audio drivers, pin configurations and input layouts.

Might just buy a cheapo sound card though, it's not like we are lacking pci lanes.

I updated OP with the new audio driver and dsdt

Awesome, at least we're making some progress. I think I know why my dsdt didn't get uploaded. I didn't compress it, but it showed that it was attached. What about sleep/wake? Do they work for you now? I will make sure to try some mp3 files for you later on when I get home. I just made a back up of my El Capitan drive and will be upgrading to Sierra. I used smbios iMac 12,1 I think but I could change it to iMac14,2 if there's a noticeably improvement. I'll keep you posted man.

--------Update

So I'm using the updated kexts for audio and the DSDT.. Sound works well for me, no issues with mp3 playback.  I've yet to try sleep and wake. My next attempt so brb :)

-----------Update

The updated DSDT is somewhat identical to the one uploaded which aside from the edits for audio  with layout 28. System does go to sleep,  but the power led remains lit and not actually blinking. When awoke, the system just reboots.  Maybe someone with some dsdt skills could lend a helping hand in order to solve this issue. For now, i just don't sleep function.

OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)

Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)

{

,   4, 

SLPE,   1

}

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)  // _PTS: Prepare To Sleep

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05)) {}

Else

{

Store (OPKW, PKWN)

Store (OPMW, PMWN)

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03))

{

Store (S3SV, SSMI)

If (LAnd (OPMW, FPMW))

{

Store (One, PMWN)

}

Else

{

Store (Zero, PMWN)

}

}

Store (One, PSMI)

Store (One, SMI6)

}

}

this is the patch need be add in ur dsdt file but ur dsdt file is already patched you need a fresh dsdt extract under sierra with clover F4 option

DSDT.aml.zip

Alright copy that, where do apply the patch exactly under DSDT when open with Maciasl?

========Update

I managed to apply the patch to the raw dsdt successfully and sleep worked and woke up without a hitch.. However, upon doing this i lost sound because patch for layout id 28 in dsdt is missing and my graphics card only showing 0mb.  Here's the raw DSDT from pressing f4 at clove screen, maybe you could add the proper edits for me if possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

DSDTraw.aml.zip

Awesome bro, I will give it a try as soon as I get home later on tonight.   This is the only thing that was stopping me from using it as my daily driver.  My Precision 690 is starting to give me the creeps. I never used to use the lan line for internet but now I'm using a powerline adapter and computer loses internet connection after wake from sleep.  Im looking to change the nic card but haven't had the chance to.. Also I keep having to reset chrome browser from time to time because the the texts and pictures from sites don't wanna load. As soon as I reset it with cleanmymac app, all is fine with it.

=========Update

I tried the DSDT and it didn't work. It's just like the one I'm using now because the computer still reboots when wake up from sleep because the power led wasn't blinking when it went to sleep.  I did notice that it needed to add DTGP patch to the dsdt. Maybe try adding that to the raw one and try again.  

======Update

I should add that I also updated to the latest Sierra 10.12.3 too not sure if that has something to do with it.  I still managed to put in the patch myself and sleep is working beautifully, I just wish I could properly add the patch for audio layout 28 to get audio.

• Like 1

This is compiled for two XEON 5440, but everything is working. You just have to change the CPU section with yours, or with generic CPU code and use SSDT tables.

The only thing that is not working is wake from USB, but It works from Power button. The same DSDT in El Capitan it´s working from anywhere. 

DSDT.aml.zip

• Like 1

@Benjudas I need proper sleep to work on my hackintosh.  That's a major plus for me, as for right now, i guess i can deal with using patched applehda with hdenabler to get sound like i did before.  I just wish i were good at dsdt editing because i'm a noob.  How do i manage to get ssdt for my CPUs? I'm using 2x Xeon X5470 chips now. 

@Benjudas I need proper sleep to work on my hackintosh.  That's a major plus for me, as for right now, i guess i can deal with using patched applehda with hdenabler to get sound like i did before.  I just wish i were good at dsdt editing because i'm a noob.  How do i manage to get ssdt for my CPUs? I'm using 2x Xeon X5470 chips now. 

You don´t need SSDT for get Sleep working. It enables SpeedStep.

I edited my DSDT for generic CPU. If you use it, will Sleep and wake correcly (but only wakes from power button).

The easy way to get SpeedStep is nullcpupowermanagement.kext.

If still want to compile your SSDT, you can try here:

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh

But our CPUs are a bit old, so it won work without edit User Defined file.

Good luck.

Generic CPU DSDT.aml.zip

I've already got proper sleep /wake on my machine. It's just sound I need to get working again before adding the patch which fixed the reboot from wake after it goes to sleep. I need layout id 28 to be applied to the dsdt in order to get sound working like it did before with MacPeet's AppleALC.kext from post #238

I've already got proper sleep /wake on my machine. It's just sound I need to get working again before adding the patch which fixed the reboot from wake after it goes to sleep. I need layout id 28 to be applied to the dsdt in order to get sound working like it did before with MacPeet's AppleALC.kext from post #238

Post your patched DSDT.

Had you all audio in-out working with AppleALC?

This workstation is smooth, way smoother than my Precision 690 was when i first hacked it.  However, i notice that this machine won't run windows if booting from Clover bootloader. But if i run the windows drive by itself, it works.  Anyone has that problem? 

This workstation is smooth, way smoother than my Precision 690 was when i first hacked it.  However, i notice that this machine won't run windows if booting from Clover bootloader. But if i run the windows drive by itself, it works.  Anyone has that problem? 

Yes, I also was unable to get clover to boot the windows drive, current solution is just changing hard drive boot order in the bios.

I tried installing windows with efi through clover but i had trouble getting clover to boot the install media.

I have two thoughts currently on how to fix it, both untested:

Install another boot loader such as grub2 on a second hard disk with windows or linux and create an entry for the osx disk, make sure this new grub disk has boot priority.

Install windows on another computer that has boot efi/uefi support on the hard disk, then move the new HDD to the xw8600 and see if clover detects the windows install now.

Here's the dsdt im using now which gives me beautiful sound but lacks the proper wake from sleep which render my machine to be rebooted upon woken up. 

I have combined Benjudas dsdt with the audio section of yours. Result is working sound and sleep.

I have updated the OP with a new archive with the new dsdt included and the applealc from macpeet for our computer.

Took me a bit to find his post with the applealc for our computers, saw you were the one who asked him to try making it, nice!

If you have a chance could you ask him to see if it would be possible to also add support for our computers built in speaker.

I have also found a new bug.

When resumed from sleep the network port that was plugged in ceases to work. If you unplug the cat cable and plug it into the second network port then that jack works again. I seem to remember reading something about this when researching getting sierra on our computer. Think it was a problem with the driver and had to be fixed by a script that ran at resume to bring the port back up.

Edit:

Bug is now fixed. I was able to find a newer ethernet kext online which lets it work properly after sleep. It should also fix the too many connections causing the adapter to stop working bug as well. From what i could tell however that bug mostly affected people who were torrenting.

I have updated the archive in the OP with the new ethernet kext.

Make sure to manually delete the old one from S/L/E as the new driver has a different name and will not automatically delete the old one.

Edit 2:

I have figured out how to properly dual boot windows, would (maybe) also work for linux.

Create the windows partition with boot camp or disk utility

Boot the windows installer usb normally through the bios of the computer, or clover.

When you get to partitioning phase, install in the area you created for windows.

You may have to delete the created windows partition then install in that free space

After windows installs, it will have overwritten the clover bootloader.

Use your sierra installer usb to boot osx then install clover again, to overwrite the windows one.

Use these settings:

The key settings are the first page, the other two images show what drivers i had installed for different file system support.

http://imgur.com/a/QB79j

Now you can boot into windows from clover

The only known bug is now resuming sleep from usb!