Change language EFI (?) macbook

15 posts in this topic

Hello folks, i recently purchased a macbook pro 9,2 (mid 2012) from Sweden. Everything is ok changing language and text from preferences panel, the only swedish texts still remain are in login menu (multiple accounts) and in boot + option key

Is there a way to change the boot rom/efi language, maybe flashing it? I've found this article in apple's support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518, where the latest boot rom MBP91.00D3.B0C is actually different from the one on my mac MBP91.00D3.B0E. In order to change boot rom i have to downgrade my os 10.12.2 to 10.9.5 (.pkg require)

Otherwise something here http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/103720/how-to-downgrade-efi-firmware-back-to-version-1-6 and  https://it.ifixit.com/Answers/View/337306/EFI+and+Firmware+update+from+4,1+to+5,1+for+Sierra+Upgrade+Solved

Any idea and help? :)

Hmm. Well if you don't want to downgrade and are brave enough to flash your computer with an unsupported OS, here is how you could remove the OS checking restriction:

1. Download the file from here: (or whatever one you want to flash)

2. Type following in the terminal.app:

cd ~/Downloads
mkdir efi_tmp && cd efi_tmp
xar -xf ../Mac2015002EFIUpdate.pkg

3. Now edit the file `Distribution` with your favourite text editor and remove the lines 649, 650 and 651 (you could search for "10.9.5") and save the file.

4. Now compress the file again with following:

xar -cf ../new.pkg *

You have now new.pkg in your Downloads. Try with it.

Edit: Don't hold me responsible if your machine explodes or won't boot again.

You should have restore partition which would be pressing command + R and turn on the computer. Keep the two keys depressed; the Apple logo and line starts to go then release. If you have nothing on the computer thats important do an erase and reinstall like it was first new. You do need a wireless connecting (not sure about wired) as it will access the latest build for re-installing. It will come up about what language so select the one you want. I am thinking about the multiple users may be causing the problem. If you have something important than back up. Hope this helps.

Lou Cioccio

Probably. Maybe try reinstalling the system again from scratch before flashing EFI.

I don't know what efi flashing are you mentioning, but the thing that works 100% is

- make installation USB;

- while rebooting reset PRAM;

- boot into installation USB and you will be asked what language would you like for your OS to be in (you'll have to reinstall OS btw).

Not 100% sure, but the same thing should apply using Recovery HD instead of installation USB.

P.S. Zapping PRAM is crucial for Mac to ask you to choose a language.

I don't know what efi flashing are you mentioning, but the thing that works 100% is

- make installation USB;

- while rebooting reset PRAM;

- boot into installation USB and you will be asked what language would you like for your OS to be in (you'll have to reinstall OS btw).

Not 100% sure, but the same thing should apply using Recovery HD instead of installation USB.

P.S. Zapping PRAM is crucial for Mac to ask you to choose a language.

With the way in the first post from in this thread you could set that variable in the PRAM without resetting anything ;)