Dell XPS 15 (9560, Version 2017) compatibility information

Krim404

186 posts in this topic

It turns out that my patch actually didn't work. Part of it was I didn't initially realize what I was looking for, and I've since been able to fix backlight fully with these. I also had to make an ambient light sensor device so that brightness would persist across reboots (still not 100% sure why making an ALS fixed backlighting). At least, I think these were all the files necessary--I generally don't like releasing things piecemeal since it works in the context of my whole system (which isn't done yet), but these things might be able to stand alone.

EDIT: Removed incomplete set of files. See post below.

• Like 1

It turns out that my patch actually didn't work. Part of it was I didn't initially realize what I was looking for, and I've since been able to fix backlight fully with these. I also had to make an ambient light sensor device so that brightness would persist across reboots (still not 100% sure why making an ALS fixed backlighting). At least, I think these were all the files necessary--I generally don't like releasing things piecemeal since it works in the context of my whole system (which isn't done yet), but these things might be able to stand alone.

Funnily enough, your kext doesn't work for me. I lose brightness control altogether! (The rest of the files work fine when I use my old AppleBacklightInjector.kext)

Oh, lol woops, sorry you need this SSDT, too, and should have VoodooPS2Controller. Otherwise, yeah, you wouldn't be able to use the buttons.  :blush:

Also, the BacklightInjector in the archive is the vanilla one. I managed to get everything to work correctly with just these files in the Clover folder.

....Aaaaand you need this in KextstoPatch:

<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>To implement correct brightness levels, change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx in AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan)</string>
				<key>Disabled</key>
				<false/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>RiV1VCUwNHgA</data>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>RiV1VHh4eHgA</data>
			</dict>

This is why I don't like to release stuff until I'm totally done...

Backlighting.zip

• Like 1

{censored}, and this, too, in the DSDT patches:

<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>Rename BRT6 to BRTX and pair with SSDT-BRT6, SSDT-PNLF, and VoodooPS2Controller to fix brightness keys (credit darkhandz, RehabMan)</string>
					<key>Disabled</key>
					<false/>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					FCBCUlQ2Ag==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					FCBCUlRYAg==
					</data>
				</dict>

...Maybe it's better to just wait until I'm done....

• Like 1

Oh, lol woops, sorry you need this SSDT, too, and should have VoodooPS2Controller. Otherwise, yeah, you wouldn't be able to use the buttons.  :blush:

Perfect! Works great now, and there's the full range of brightness!  :thumbsup_anim:

I did have to go in and edit your SSDT-Config.aml to enable the shutdown fix, otherwise it would just start itself backup after I pressed shutdown.

{censored}, and this, too, in the DSDT patches:

luckily, that patch is already in my config haha.

EDIT: Okay maybe not perfect, brightness setting still defaults to full on reboot, but I'm personally not that fussed (and is probably an issue with my config, I still don't have the Automatically adjust brightness tick box in sysprefs>displays ). I'm just glad I have the full range again!

EDIT 2: Got brightness saving working by using the FakeSMC.kext and SSDT-ALS0.aml from RehabMan over on the brightness thread.

Hey, some of that was my doing, too! :P

I don't have an issue with shutdown on mine. Do you have a usb device plugged in when you shut down? I've found that occasionally having a USB device plugged in will cause a weird restart on shutdown/instant wake on sleep, but going into the BIOS settings to rejigger the "USB Wake Support" setting (i.e. ensure it's disabled) tends to do the trick. I've had 0 GPU-induced sleep/shutdown problems, if that's the one we're actually talking about. (If it is, I can give you my "shutoff NVidia" SSDT.)

Oh yeah, I fixed USB hotplug, too (can hotplug as many times as you want). Dell added Linux compatibility, and broke dpassmor's stuff. Instead of SSDT-XE42 + the _E42 rename, you need this:

<dict>
                    <key>Comment</key>
                    <string>Rename XTBT to YTBT, XTBT call redirect to solve recursion issue for USB-C hotplug, pair with SSDT-YTBT (credit dpassmor)</string>
                    <key>Disabled</key>
                    <false/>
                    <key>Find</key>
                    <data>
                        pABYVEJUVEJTRUNQR04=
                    </data>
                    <key>Replace</key>
                    <data>
                        pABZVEJUVEJTRUNQR04=
                    </data>
                </dict>

In addition to the _RMV -> XRMV patch. And this attached SSDT (dpassmor's SSDT-TB should be fine for USB-C).

SSDT-YTBT.dsl.zip

• Like 2

Hmm, nope only things plugged into the laptop are the charger and headphones. 

I don't think it's the GPU one.

SHUT: Shutdown fix, disable _PTS code when Arg0==5 (shutdown)

Enabled this one. (which was enabled in the previous config I was using too)

I believe my dGPU is disabled already.

I'll give the hotplugging fix a shot, thanks :thumbsup_anim:  

EDIT: Had to change the If statement to the old LEqual in the SSDT-YTBT.dsl so it would compile when I used MaciASL, but seems to work great! System is still a bit iffy detecting the DA200 every now and again. but waiting a second and replugging it seems to do the trick, whereas before it wouldn't be recognised at all until a restart if I "Power off card" from the menu bar.  :D

You shouldn't click "power off card." Just ignore that, and unplug it (eject any USB storage devices first!). It's an artifact from having to fake the Thunderbolt controller as an ExpressCard. The delay is because Thunderbolt controllers take a full 2 seconds to power on/off or so (they're slow, and Apple just leaves them on. Dell doesn't--which is better for our batteries when nothing's in the Type-C port :D). But I've been able to hotplug 6-7 times so far, no problems.

You can't use your config.plist/set of ssdts for that. They conflict.

I'm going to post a whole write-up with my folder. I had to make some things from scratch because they didn't exist yet. The build's currently at 95% complete.

• Like 1

You can't use your config.plist/set of ssdts for that. They conflict.

Was this for me? lol

Yeah I know. considering I have no real clue what I'm doing, and am just hacking together files from different guides and places, I think I've done pretty well. xD

Will you be updating your guide or clover folder for the fixes you and KNNSpeed posted?

I think we'd be better off waiting for KNNSpeed.  ^_^

I have appleALC. When i use it with appleHDA and codeccommander, it does NOT restart audio after sleep. I have to use CodecCommander and applehda (PATCHED) without appleALC for it to resume with sound working after sleep/wake. This is cool with me, but appleHDA is iffy. It will load sometimes after reboot and sometimes it will not load. I want it to load all of the time. What could be the problem for this?

Audio restarts after sleep for me, I just checked. (If I'm using headphones I have to unplug and replug them.)

using appleALC and the other kexts injected via clover (native unpatched appleHDA) like KNNSpeed above. Have you run the audiofix? (either from my files, KNNSpeed's above or wmchris')

Hey guys,

We have our finger on the trigger and want to buy a 9560, how are we looking, if we buy it, is it possible to get it running Mac OS fully functioning? I seen KNNSpeed is doing a writeup soon. Is there anything I need to swap out or did you guys get the inbuilt wifi working? Thanks in advance :)

Not with the in-built Killer Wifi card, no. I swapped mine out for a DW1830 and added a third antenna (there's room in the hinge) for 1.3Gbps AC.

Things that don't work:

1.) Thunderbolt hot plug (USB-C works) <- working on it. It's really hard. I got it to work one time, and I can't figure out how, why, or replicate it.

2.) Hibernation/"Safe Sleep"

3.) This weird thing where, when you open the lid to wake from sleep, you have to push a button on the keyboard to bring up the display. Anyone know if new Macs do this?

Everything else works--I think even the fingerprint sensor would if there were any software that could actually use it.

I get about 8 hours of battery on mine.

• Like 1

Not with the in-built Killer Wifi card, no. I swapped mine out for a DW1830 and added a third antenna (there's room in the hinge) for 1.3Gbps AC.

Things that don't work:

1.) Thunderbolt hot plug (USB-C works) <- working on it. It's really hard. I got it to work one time, and I can't figure out how, why, or replicate it.

2.) Hibernation/"Safe Sleep"

3.) This weird thing where, when you open the lid to wake from sleep, you have to push a button on the keyboard to bring up the display. Anyone know if new Macs do this?

Everything else works--I think even the fingerprint sensor would if there were any software that could actually use it.

I get about 8 hours of battery on mine.

Everything? Even the GTX 1050? Sign me the hell up! I'm typing this from my new XPS 9560. Tried installing macOS 10.12.5 using wmchris's GitHub guide yesterday, but it reboots at some point of the installation and doesn't finish. The last lines of the installer log are these:

Jun  5 17:04:07 iMac osishelperd[569]: Running brtool...
Jun  5 17:04:09 iMac osishelperd[569]: brtool exited succes

At this point it just reboots.

Your recent posts gives me hope that an even better guide is on the way? Where should I look for such a guide?  :)

GTX 1050 works for CUDA as a secondary GPU only. Generally the discrete card is disabled for battery life reasons. Don't expect to be able to use the 1050 for gaming/as a primary GPU unless you plan on dual booting Windows.

Unfortunately, Optimus is not supported on hackintoshes due to architectural differences between Apple laptops, which have a physical, dedicated, and proprietary graphics-switching chip, and everyone else. Only laptops that use integrated Graphics for the display and a dedicated card for external monitors without any switching would have both working, since that would be like a computer with two separate graphics cards (this is not one of them). Could it be made to work? Conceivably, yes, if someone clever figures out how to fake the GMUX with ACPI hacks and a driver, but I will not be tackling that.

That stated, Thunderbolt eGPUs might work (I don't have one, but since Thunderbolt works on boot-plug and given WWDC announcements I would imagine they'd work).

Basically what I'm planning to do is upload my build with explanations of what everything does/what I had to do to get everything working. It will only be most applicable to those who have a 4k sector-compatible SSD (so not the Samsungs), since I don't want anyone trying this and then blaming me for data corruption.

Everything? Even the GTX 1050? Sign me the hell up! I'm typing this from my new XPS 9560. Tried installing macOS 10.12.5 using wmchris's GitHub guide yesterday, but it reboots at some point of the installation and doesn't finish. The last lines of the installer log are these:

Jun  5 17:04:07 iMac osishelperd[569]: Running brtool...
Jun  5 17:04:09 iMac osishelperd[569]: brtool exited succes
At this point it just reboots.

Your recent posts gives me hope that an even better guide is on the way? Where should I look for such a guide?  :)

You can either wait for KNNSpeed's upcoming guide, or follow my old guide in this thread a few pages back. It works pretty well, although I've made a number of changes since (and a couple of kexts might need updating for 10.12.5).

That stated, Thunderbolt eGPUs might work (I don't have one, but since Thunderbolt works on boot-plug and given WWDC announcements I would imagine they'd work).

Just to confirm, my thunderbolt 2 eGPU (via a thunderbolt 3 adaptor) works great on Mac with an external monitor (and nVidia web drivers + a couple of clover tweaks to enable them).

post-452355-0-69992800-1496783685_thumb.png

Hi!

Just an update:

Build is basically done, I'm just doing some fine-tuning/bugtests. Unfortunately some involve sleeping the laptop for a while, which invariably takes time.

Things that don't work:

1.) Thunderbolt Hotplug... Most of the time. As mentioned previously, it rarely works on wake-from-sleep after a night (still don't know why). And then disconnecting the device causes a crash because OS X can't deal with a disappearing Thunderbolt controller.

2.) Hibernation (I think? Sleepimage is all zeros. Maybe I'm not testing it right.)

3.) Optimus switching. Duh. GTX 1050 can be used as secondary if an application supports it (like CUDA), though. May need more testing for the latter point, but, man, enabling it kills battery CUDA-Z can't see it, but the SysPref can. No idea if it actually works.

4.) SD Card reader. Hopefully some wonderful person can finish up Serg/Sinetek's driver for Realtek PCI-E SD Card Reader, device id 10EC:525A. Even just read-only would be STELLAR!**

**With the _RMV to XRMV patch, you can't see the SD Card reader in System Profiler. I made a new patch that renames _RMV to XRMV for just RP15 (Type-C), so now the card reader DOES show up. That's the best we can do, and it will allow a proper card reader driver to work. 

Highlights:

• All SSDT dsls are commented with descriptions of what's going on/why each one is necessary. 
  • All 8 EC temp sensors show up in HWMonitor (note: FakeSMC ACPISensors doesn't work the way it's supposed to, so I had to make them all show up as fans. All that really means is the unit is shown as "RPM" instead of "ºC", but in your head just read it as "ºC")
  • The USB part of the Type-C port is perfect, just bear in mind there is a natural delay between unplugging/plugging in the device (it's a hardware thing). Just wait 2 seconds between plugs and you should be fine. Alternatively, watch RP15 in IORegistryExplorer to see what's going on in the background when you unplug something.
  • All kexts are loaded through Clover, and SIP is enabled. Recovery HD works fine as far as I can tell.
  • Brightness saved between reboots, though note that "automatically adjust brightness" MUST be checked (there is no light sensor, so it won't actually automatically change).
  • Lid wake works properly, and I haven't had the "Disk not ejected properly" error in many sleeps now. Note that the USB ports turn OFF when sleeping, so you can't charge your phone that way.
  • If you sleep the laptop, it will stop powering USB devices. BUT, if you were to, for example, plug a phone in while the laptop is already asleep, the phone will charge. (Don't know if powernap will interrupt/break this yet.)
  • 32GB RAM, a touchscreen, and 100% AdobeRGB

Current Known Bugs:

• Audio disappears after long sleep (I think it's related to USB instant wake fix with GPRW--testing that today) Nope
  • Sometimes after long sleep power consumption jumps from 1.5W-1.6W IDLE (HWP) to 4.5W-5W idle. These numbers make me think the GTX 1050 might be to blame, but I'm not totally sure yet. Looks like that might've been it!
  • Sometimes the webcam stops working on wake after long sleep, despite showing up in the USB section of System profiler (camera section is empty). Haven't seen it happen in a while and I think it's related to the same thing as "Disk not ejected properly," so I might have fixed it.
  • Like 3

You're probably better off starting your own thread in the installation guides section when you do finish the build. Would save a lot of confusion for new people who come across it later instead of having to trawl through this thread.  :rolleyes:

Hi I received my DW1560 broadcom I would like to install it does anyone know how should I start with ?

Does anyone succeed to install developer preview ?

Thanks for your help

unscrew the bottom 8 screws with a T5 screwdriver. Under the tab at the bottom, unscrew those 2 screws with a philips head screwdriver. Pry it open starting from the back (theres 2 clips holding it together). Open, unscrew the screw holding the current card down. Remove the wires and remove card. Put in your new card. Put it back together. It should work after you use the fakepciid kext by rehabman and add the favo patch. 

As far as the High Sierra Developer Preview, I got it up and running 98%. It was a {censored}. I just can't get brightness working.

A huge thanks you ! Blayze !

Thanks for your time spent to write this for me.

It really help me !

Have a good day

Micha

A huge thanks you ! Blayze !

Thanks for your time spent to write this for me.

It really help me !

Have a good day

Micha

unscrew the bottom 8 screws with a T5 screwdriver. Under the tab at the bottom, unscrew those 2 screws with a philips head screwdriver. Pry it open starting from the back (theres 2 clips holding it together). Open, unscrew the screw holding the current card down. Remove the wires and remove card. Put in your new card. Put it back together. It should work after you use the fakepciid kext by rehabman and add the favo patch. 

As far as the High Sierra Developer Preview, I got it up and running 98%. It was a {censored}. I just can't get brightness working.

For what it's worth, on Sierra, proper brightness control requires SSDT-PNLF, SSDT-Config [optional, but has manual overrides for PNLF], AppleBacklightInjector (from RehabMan's ProBook repo), a patch in Clover config.plist, a fake ALS SSDT, and 5 SMC keys that have since been added to RehabMan's fork of kozlek's FakeSMC. Dell XPS laptops also require SSDT-BRT6 and a BRT6 -> BRTX rename patch in Clover.