Dell XPS 15 (9560, Version 2017) compatibility information

Krim404

186 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

This is my first time doing a hackintosh in many years. I have a 9560 with 4K, Toshiba 512 NVMe SSD. I have managed to use pandora's box to create a bootable USB stick and I am booting into clover and OS X Sierra installer fine.

I have also changed to 4k sectors using Linux and set the BIOS to ACHI instead of RAID.

However, no disks are available to install anything to (apart from the installation media).

I have copied the files from the 9560, 9550 github into the EFI\CLOVER folder on the USB stick and I can see EFI\Clover\kexts\10.12\HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_3.kext.

What am I supposed to do? Bit confused here.

I can see EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\Patched\SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml.

Am I supposed to replace it with my ID? \_SB.PCI0.RP09.PXSX

Or is it supposed to work out of the box?

Hello,

This is my second hackintosh so I'm quite inexperienced. I have got everything up and running for the most part, but I'm really struggling with the App Store. I followed the tutorial and edited the SMBIOS as mentioned. I removed the NetworkInterfaces.plist and also removed the networks from System Preferences. I thought the issue was that I use a USB ethernet adaptor and it shows as en1 so I removed the NullEthernet kext which was en0 and now my active connection shows as en0, but still no luck. I am using an AX88772 chipset adaptor. Any help would be really appreciated.

"Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.".

Are the new pascal (10XX series cards) drivers for macOS working?? Maybe now it works with the dedicated graphics card.

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/378/WebDriver-378.05.05.05f01.pkg

You should try guys!!

I am looking forward to hearing from this. I also have an XPS and I am indeed willing to test things out but I have to be sure core functions like GPU will be working, the rest is detail.

DSDT Origin for 9560 is attached, if anyone want to take a break at it =)

I got the Nvidia chip to respond with the new Nvidia Drivers, I can't swap between the Nvidia and the Intel, as it uses Nvidia Optimus Technology. 

I believe it have to be done using the DSDT ?

Optimus copies the frame buffer of the nvidia gpu to the Intel graphics frame buffer so there unless there is code in the driver that supports this (for which there's no reason for nvidia to do) we are out of luck.

Pardon my ignorance, but can we manually swap GPUs through the menu ?

Are we specifically talking about automaitc switchs, done by optimus to get the most optimal battery, etc ? Or simply changing it in the first place. 

Also, what wifi card did you guys get ? 

Also, is hackintosh's tutorial still up to date, everything should be flowing step by step ?

I where thinking here about a Linux project, Bumblebee.

it use the nvidia Optimus technology to swap between gfx cards. Its a long shoot but I'll check if I can successfully compile it.

https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/wiki/Install-and-usage

That repo hasn't been updated for years and works with X11 only.  Quartz is a totally different thing and would most likely require significant modifications.

There's more info here regarding graphics switching: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus

Will take a more detailed look into it when I get a chance.

If the new pascal drivers load and Sierra detects it couldn't this GPU be utilized in pro apps like FCPX, Premiere? I dont mind using the iGPU if the DGPU gets used in FCPX which would be my primary use of Sierra.

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Toshiba 1TB/4K UHD Touch/32GB

I've managed to get an almost perfect macOS Sierra 10.12.4 (clean) install working.

Not working:

• USB-C   -Any help on this would be appreciated. My Dell DA200 does not work.
  • SD Card Reader   -Don't think this will ever work?
  • HDMI Audio  -Probably because I'm using voodooHDA.
  • nVidia 1050   -Will probably never work. Doesn't matter I have windows & ubuntu on a triple boot.

Working:

• Sleep
  • Brightness
  • HDMI out
  • Webcam
  • Audio (Headphones & Speakers, but no jack-sensing as I'm using voodooHDA, only kext that works for me. Kexts that sense the headphone jack correctly don't give me any audio.)
  • Thunderbolt? (My Akitio Thunderbolt 2 eGPU with a nVidia 1060 works great.) 
  • WiFi (Killer WiFi has been swapped with the Dell/Broadcom card.)
  • Almost everything else.

Notable improvements:

• 4K sector patch for my SSD so I do not rely on any kexts/patches and sleep/hibernate functions as it should.
  • Completely vanilla S/L/E & L/E. All kexts are injected from clover. This means it's relatively update proof.

In order to get the webcam working I took the kext from bozma88's 9360 thread and edited it for the webcam in my 9560 (VID7119 PID11157). I then also had to use the USBInjectAll kext with the correct SSDT-UIAC.aml.

I made the SSDT myself before realising there's already an uncompiled version in wmchris' repo.  :rolleyes:

In order to get headphones on VoodooHDA working correctly, I inject CodecCommander and VoodooHDA, but I also need to run a modified version of the script from wmchris' AppleHDA_sysCL folder in his repo (not using the kext, essentially).

I tried using an alternative kext for the trackpad but reverted to voodooPS2, YMMV.

Installation instructions:

These assume you have the knowledge to change the UEFI/BIOS settings, create installation media, use clover and mount the EFI partition etc. Unfortunately I don't have the time to write that out!

This isn't an in depth guide, just a guide to easily to use my files. For an in depth guide look at wmchris' 9550 thread but use my files where necessary.

Before you start, if you can, follow the steps for the 4k sector patch on wmchris' thread. You will lose ALL YOUR DATA.

1. Download the latest macOS from the App Store and create installation media on a USB
  2. Download the files attached to this post
  3. Extract the CLOVER folder to the EFI partition in /EFI/ on your USB
  4. For those of you with a non-touch HD screen delete the CoreDisplayFixup.kext from the CLOVER/kexts/other directory. You don't need it. (n.b I haven't tested this on another laptop so I don't know if this will work.)
  5. For those that couldn't do the 4k sector fix, extract the HackrNVMe.zip file and place the kext in the CLOVER/kexts/other directory. Place the SSDT-Hackr.aml in the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory. (n.b I haven't tested this on another laptop so I don't know if this will work, it worked for me before I applied the 4k sector patch. For more help on different NVMes refer to wmchris' thread.)
  6. Boot into clover on your USB, boot the installer, partition as you need and install macOS.
  7. Boot into clover on your USB, boot the partition you just installed and run through the setup. (You will probably not have WiFi or headphones working yet.)
  8. Extract the AudioFix.zip somewhere convenient. 
  9. Open terminal and navigate (cd) to the AudioFix folder.
  10. Run the script (./install.sh) (This should fix your headphones and WiFi after a reboot.)
  11. Copy the entire CLOVER directory from your USB's EFI partition to your laptop's EFI partition. (diskutil mount disk0s1 and diskutil mount disk1s1 to mount them usually).
  12. Restart and boot from clover on your laptop. You may need to add a boot option in the UEFI/BIOS.
  13. You should now have a working Mac install!

Personally I use a MacBook 13,3 SMBIOS, but I copied the iMac SMBIOS from wmchris' config for this config.plist.

Let me know if there's any bugs I compiled the tutorial quite quickly.

I have a successful ubuntu/macOS/Windows triple boot going after a lot of hard graft.

Credits to: RehabMan, wmchris, bozma88, anyone else who helped me earlier in this thread, and everyone else who had a hand in the files attached to the post!

Edit: 1 - Sorry I broke brightness using the wrong SSDT-PNLF.aml, reverted back to the one from the 9550 thread.

FYI, If anyone is suffering from the screen flickering bug in Windows, as far I can tell ubuntu and macOS do not suffer from this problem, so it probably is an Intel/Dell windows driver issue.

HackrNVMe.zip

AudioFix.zip

CLOVER.zip

• Like 5

I've managed to get an almost perfect macOS Sierra 10.12.4 (clean) install working.

Not working:

• Thunderbolt/USB-C   -Any help on this would be appreciated. My Dell DA200 does not work.
  • nVidia 1050   -Will probably never work. Doesn't matter I have windows & ubuntu on a triple boot.

Working:

• Sleep
  • Brightness
  • HDMI out
  • Webcam
  • Audio (Headphones & Speakers, but no jack-sensing as I'm using voodooHDA, only kext that works for me. Kexts that sense the headphone jack correctly don't give me any audio.)

Notable improvements:

• 4K sector patch for my SSD so I do not rely on any kexts/patches and sleep/hibernate functions as it should.
  • Completely vanilla S/L/E & L/E. All kexts are injected from clover. This means it's relatively update proof.

In order to get the webcam working I took the kext from bozma88's 9360 thread and edited it for the webcam in my 9560 (VID7119 PID11157). I then also had to use the USBInjectAll kext with the correct SSDT-UIAC.aml.

I made the SSDT myself before realising there's already an uncompiled version in wmchris' repo.  :rolleyes:

In order to get headphones on VoodooHDA working correctly, I inject CodecCommander and VoodooHDA, but I also need to run a modified version of the script from wmchris' AppleHDA_sysCL folder in his repo (not using the kext, essentially).

I tried using an alternative kext for the trackpad but reverted to voodooPS2, YMMV.

These assume you have the knowledge to change the UEFI/BIOS settings, create installation media, use clover and mount the EFI partition etc. Unfortunately I don't have the time to write that out!

This isn't an in depth guide, just a guide to easily to use my files. For an in depth guide look at wmchris' 9550 thread but use my files where necessary.

Before you start, if you can, follow the steps for the 4k sector patch on wmchris' thread. You will lose ALL YOUR DATA.

1. Download the latest macOS from the App Store and create installation media on a USB
  4. For those of you with a non-touch HD screen delete the CoreDisplayFixup.kext from the CLOVER/kexts/other directory. You don't need it. (n.b I haven't tested this on another laptop so I don't know if this will work.)
  5. For those that couldn't do the 4k sector fix, extract the HackrNVMe.zip file and place the kext in the CLOVER/kexts/other directory. Place the SSDT-Hackr.aml in the /CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory. (n.b I haven't tested this on another laptop so I don't know if this will work, it worked for me before I applied the 4k sector patch. For more help on different NVMes refer to wmchris' thread.)
  6. Boot into clover on your USB, boot the installer, partition as you need and install macOS.
  7. Boot into clover on your USB, boot the partition you just installed and run through the setup. (You will probably not have WiFi or headphones working yet.)
  10. Run the script (./install.sh) (This should fix your headphones and WiFi after a reboot.)
  11. Copy the entire CLOVER directory from your USB's EFI partition to your laptop's EFI partition. (diskutil mount disk0s1 and diskutil mount disk1s1 to mount them usually).
  12. Restart and boot from clover on your laptop. You may need to add a boot option in the UEFI/BIOS.

Personally I use a MacBook 13,3 SMBIOS, but I copied the iMac SMBIOS from wmchris' config for this config.plist.

I have a successful ubuntu/macOS/Windows triple boot going after a lot of hard graft.

Credits to: RehabMan, wmchris, bozma88, anyone else who helped me earlier in this thread, and everyone else who had a hand in the files attached to the post!

Edit: 1 - Sorry I broke brightness using the wrong SSDT-PNLF.aml, reverted back to the one from the 9550 thread.

FYI, If anyone is suffering from the screen flickering bug in Windows, as far I can tell ubuntu and macOS do not suffer from this problem, so it probably is an Intel/Dell windows driver issue.

Jonny,

Fist of all THANK YOU. I had my 9560 running Sierra 12.2 but various things didn't work (Webcam, Brightness etc.) 

Your instructions were spot on and I'm now running a much more complete 12.4! 

However still having the trackpad issue. Will just stop responding randomly and never come back without a reboot. Are you experiencing this?

Jonny,

Fist of all THANK YOU. I had my 9560 running Sierra 12.2 but various things didn't work (Webcam, Brightness etc.) 

Your instructions were spot on and I'm now running a much more complete 12.4! 

However still having the trackpad issue. Will just stop responding randomly and never come back without a reboot. Are you experiencing this?

You can try a modified version of voodoops2 that I compiled here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/320016-dell-xps-15-9560-version-2017-compatibility-information/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2370524

Not working:

• Thunderbolt/USB-C   -Any help on this would be appreciated. My Dell DA200 does not work.

Working:

• Sleep
  • Brightness
  • HDMI out
  • Webcam

Notable improvements:

A HUGEEEEE THANK YOU for your work man ! You are the best !

Do you have any suggestions regarding the wifi for replacement ? 

I found this they were in the previous version of XPS :  https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=143&subid=560&refine=filter_wireless-devices

Thanks for your help

I found this they were in the previous version of XPS :  https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=143&subid=560&refine=filter_wireless-devices

Thanks for your help

I use the Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 Wireless-AC 867M WiFi Bluetooth 4.0 NGFF M.2 Card and it works great.

Thanks @Freejack so far so good! I also spoke a bit too soon above. Laptop went to sleep and the NVME drive disappeared, so had to start again :(

Anyone know the fix for this or do I just need to disable sleep? I have a Samsung drive so 4k patch doesn't work I believe

I use the Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 Wireless-AC 867M WiFi Bluetooth 4.0 NGFF M.2 Card and it works great.

Thanks @Freejack so far so good! I also spoke a bit too soon above. Laptop went to sleep and the NVME drive disappeared, so had to start again :(

Anyone know the fix for this or do I just need to disable sleep? I have a Samsung drive so 4k patch doesn't work I believe

I have the 960 evo and have no problems with sleep.  Can share the kext and aml with you if you have the same.

I have the 960 evo and have no problems with sleep.  Can share the kext and aml with you if you have the same.

I have the PM961 which is a 960 evo model right?

So would be great to try out your kext and AML, thank you!

Not working:

Working:

• Sleep
  • Brightness
  • HDMI out
  • Webcam

Notable improvements:

i got my thunderbolt/usb-c working by changing smbios to "MacBook9,1"

Turns out my thunderbolt does work, my eGPU with an Nvidia 1060 works great (using web drivers)!

My usb-c still doesn't work though, I'll try changing my SMBIOS later.

I have the PM961 which is a 960 evo model right?

So would be great to try out your kext and AML, thank you!

Have you made sure to disable hibernation like in the 9550 thread?

This is a must if you can't/haven't do(/ne) the 4k fix.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

I found this they were in the previous version of XPS :  https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=category&id=143&sul

If you look at my signature, you'll see I use a Dell Wireless DW1560  :)

post-452355-0-65376500-1494600895_thumb.png

Woaw, this is simply amazing. I am yet surprised that you didn't try out the gtx 1050 web drivers.

Another question with the 4k sector fix, I have the Samsung one, how do I know it's sector size ? Do I need this fix too ?

Woaw, this is simply amazing. I am yet surprised that you didn't try out the gtx 1050 web drivers.

Another question with the 4k sector fix, I have the Samsung one, how do I know it's sector size ? Do I need this fix too ?

Due to the way Optimus works on Windows, Mac is incompatible, the built-in 1050 will not work on macOS. 

I am not sure which Samsung you have, or if it is compatible with 4k sector fix. Follow the guide within the 9550 thread. 

what do I have to do to get AppleHDA to work? I have tried everything. I know I can use voodoohda but I'd rather use applehda. I can get it working using hdaenabler or cloverhda and applehda kext, but there is no sound coming out. The Clover layout-id I use is 13. I am on the 9560 version of XPS.  Can someone give me some simple steps to get this working on this notebook. In the past it was so much easier.