Dell XPS 15 (9560, Version 2017) compatibility information

Krim404

186 posts in this topic

I'm working on getting Sierra to run on the 9560.  FHD screen.  What doesn't work:

webcam

sound

What doesn't work well:

trackpad stops working after a random period of time

Wifi and BT works after swapping in a DW1560.  I've also upgraded the nvme drive to a samsung evo 960.  Dual booting requires pointing the bios to the cloverx64.efi file but works flawlessly now with clover.

I got my 9560 yesterday and I've been trying to follow the tutorial with no success. Can't even get it to boot to the installer, after selecting the installer in Clover all I get is 

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for \.IAbootFiles\boot.efi
Using reloc block: yes, hibernate Wake: no
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and then nothing.
Any idea what's wrong, I've been trawling the forums just trying to get past this with no success.

EDIT: oh and just FYI, I have the i7, 1TB (Toshiba SSD), 4k touch 32gb model

I got my 9560 yesterday and I've been trying to follow the tutorial with no success. Can't even get it to boot to the installer, after selecting the installer in Clover all I get is 

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for \.IAbootFiles\boot.efi
Using reloc block: yes, hibernate Wake: no
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and then nothing.

Any idea what's wrong, I've been trawling the forums just trying to get past this with no success.

EDIT: oh and just FYI, I have the i7, 1TB (Toshiba SSD), 4k touch 32gb model

Did you apply the nvme class code spoof?

Did you apply the nvme class code spoof?

I'm using all the files found in wmchris' tutorial.

I've tried merging the folder from the tutorial, and tried fully replacing the folder too.

I've also tried creating my own SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml using https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-hackrnvmefamily-co-existence-with-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/which when added to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched still results in the same hang up.

I've tried switching OsxAptioFixDrv to OsxAptioFix2Drv and the other "lowmem" one, with no success.

I've tried adding SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext too.

Using a clean clover install with just the config.plist from the tutorial still leaves me stuck at "+++++++++++++++++++++"

I'm using all the files found in wmchris' tutorial.

I've tried merging the folder from the tutorial, and tried fully replacing the folder too.

I've also tried creating my own SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml using https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-hackrnvmefamily-co-existence-with-ionvmefamily-using-class-code-spoof.210316/which when added to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched still results in the same hang up.

I've tried switching OsxAptioFixDrv to OsxAptioFix2Drv and the other "lowmem" one, with no success.

I've tried adding SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext too.

Using a clean clover install with just the config.plist from the tutorial still leaves me stuck at "+++++++++++++++++++++"

I've attached my EFI folder. 

Here's what I use to boot into the installer.  Make sure you've made all the necessary bios changes also.

EFI.zip

• Like 1

Here's what I use to boot into the installer.  Make sure you've made all the necessary bios changes also.

Great, thanks,

That's got me further but still not enough to boot the installer. I check the BIOS settings and everything looks right to me?

I've attached a picture of where it hangs (with it verbose) 

post-452355-0-68380000-1487294366_thumb.jpg

I have the same issue with my Dell, i Get the same.

I have seen it before, when working anther workstation, it where the nvidia card that "believed " that it where working and sending a display signal .

When I swapped the graphics card, then it worked.

I don't see a way in the bios to disable the nvidia card :/

I have the same issue with my Dell, i Get the same.

I have seen it before, when working anther workstation, it where the nvidia card that "believed " that it where working and sending a display signal .

When I swapped the graphics card, then it worked.

I don't see a way in the bios to disable the nvidia card :/

I don't think it's that because the config.plist I gave Jonny4911 does not use the discrete graphics and has the igpu platform-id set correctly. 

@Jonny4911 which guide did you follow to adjust the bios configs?

Got it working 4K baby =) 

I added this onto the config. 

<key>AddProperties</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<string>IntelGFX</string>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelPowerUp</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				MAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL,Gfx324</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				AQAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelPowerDown</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				PAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelPowerOff</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				EQAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelCycleDelay</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				+gAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelPowerOn</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				GQEAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>device-colors</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				AAIAAKCdnQAAAAAAAAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL,GfxYTile</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				AQAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
		</array>

• Like 3

Got it working 4K baby =) 

I added this onto the config. 

<key>AddProperties</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelPowerUp</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				MAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL,Gfx324</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				AQAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelPowerDown</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				PAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelPowerOff</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				EQAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelCycleDelay</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				+gAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL00,PanelPowerOn</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				GQEAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>device-colors</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				AAIAAKCdnQAAAAAAAAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Device</key>
				<key>Key</key>
				<string>AAPL,GfxYTile</string>
				<key>Value</key>
				<data>
				AQAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
		</array>

any chance you could upload your EFI folder? In many of the like 10 config.plist's I've tried I have all of these haha.

I'm guess it could be my BIOS settings, but I've followed all the guides on here for 9550/9360 etc. etc.

So AHCI, Legacy option Roms enabled, secure boot off, TPM off, CPU XD on, Virtualization on, VT for Direct I/O off

I attached the config , I used the same files that @freejack published in his EFI zip files. 

I found the same trackpad problem, but luckily, i had a touch screen! 

so I managed to install it with the touch screen as mouse. 

In Post-Install I followed @wmchris ´s 9550 tut. and with the voodoo kext files from that I'm now running it as normal trackpad. 

--- What´s missing ? 

Well, the intel GPU is branded unknown. so I dont get OpenGL support yet, 

and wifi, tho I have googled a lot, and someone says that they have made it work ? so will follow up on that. 

( I have netgear N300 as backup ) 

--- Wrongs. 

Well, I applied the 4K screen patch, and now I only get a "blinking" top left side line. 

so I'm looking to undo that patch in single user mode. 

config.plist.zip

• Like 1

Okay got everything installed now.
I followed @wmchris' tutorial for post installation too.

I'm not too sure what I was missing, as I didn't end up using your attached config.plist (although it was the first config that actually booted the installer) I think I had to add 0x12345678 FakeID.

Trackpad freezes all the time, I just don't use it for now. Edit: hasn't frozen for a while. Edit2: nvm lol, it died again.

Same problem with the intel GPU as @Andy^^
WiFi, I've got a card on order from china, so... that'll be a month!
Audio works with Voodoo 2.8.8. (I don't think i tested it with the vanilla apple injection etc., but oh well!)

Webcam doesn't work.

I applied the 4K patch, AND removed the 0x12345678 FakeID from the config.plist, haven't had any problems.

• Like 1

ok, Audio working, (Voodoo) GPU Intel working. 

I whole day backtracked the patches @wmchris had in his tut. 

and I crossed them with other forums.

now the machine feels fine, the fans are running, going up when hot, and down then quiet. 

Attaching the CLOVER folder from my mem stick, so it can be used on others. 

fixed also trackpad by the looks of it. 

I changed the FakeID IntelGFX must be 0x12345678 when installing, then when installed, I changed it back to 0x19168086 this gave me full support, 

and I applied the 4K patch from wmchris, tho it looks like my resolution is only 1920x1080 ? but then again, it does not look like it hehe... 

Battery measurements, and the way it talks to the display ( controls dimming when low bat ) 

looks like it works like a charm. 

Todo:

Wifi, still using Thumbdrive, tho I believe it´s this chipset Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 so more googling. 

CPU Checking, and maxing, testing different CPU ID´s to see the difference 

SMBIOS see how high I can go 

CLOVER.zip

• Like 2

Perfect, the FakeID IntelGFX to 0x19168086 did the trick for the graphics!

Don't worry about it being 1920x1080, it's HiDPI, so it's scaled and displaying at 4K. (That's what my *actual* retina MacBook does too)

As for SMBIOS, I've got a MacBookPro13,3 going haha

EDIT: Trackpad definitely not fixed here!

I don't think there are any drivers for the killer wifi card yet.  I swapped it out with a BCM94532Z which works well along with bluetooth.  Make sure you get one with the A-keyed slot.

Trackpad is very flakey and with all the reports I'm hearing, may not be a hardware issue but a problem with voodoops2controller.

I don't think there are any drivers for the killer wifi card yet.  I swapped it out with a BCM94532Z which works well along with bluetooth.  Make sure you get one with the A-keyed slot.

Trackpad is very flakey and with all the reports I'm hearing, may not be a hardware issue but a problem with voodoops2controller.

Question, does Sleep work for you ?

Hey @Jonny4911 test this one 

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-xps-13-9343-sierra.206399/

and use the track panel 

Sleepmode is buggy =/

Screen shuts down, but keyboard lights and all is on. 

Trackpad still freezes with this

Yep, sleep doesn't work very well for me either with kb lights and power light on, although I left it idle for a while and it went (i think) into sleep properly an went straight back to the desktop when i pressed the power button, but then If i tried to get it to sleep again it wouldn't.

Edit: Can confirm if the fans are running, the trackpad won't freeze (well it didn't freeze the whole time i had unigine heaven running, which was the simplest way i could think of producing some heat, also just wanted to see what the iGPU was like on mac)

Also checked with intel power gadget and it looks like the processor is turbo boosting fine  :thumbsup_anim:

Edit: Can confirm if the fans are running

So glad to see some new people join us. I have been working with FreeJack at another forum on this. I can confirm the fan and trackpad magic :lol: . It leads me to believe there's something either wrong with our ACPI table some where in our DSDT or voodoops2 as FreeJack has suggested. 

Also @Freejack has been testing without the battery from his last comment over there and apparently had uptime of 50+ minutes of trackpad. Not sure what the outcome was, is this still the case? edit: just read the other thread.

I just woke up a bit ago and ate breakfast but I have {censored} to do today  :(

Edit: Let me share some info... I'm no expert maybe some things here can be of use for you guys that started yesterday.

Lastest Clover (4012) now has initial support for Kaby Lake so our CPU shows up as it's supposed to and not xeon type. I changed something to get it to show Intel HD 630 but it's obviously using Skylake kext but aesthetics are nice. That goes in Devices -> AddProperties.

<dict>
	<key>Device</key>
	<key>Key</key>
	<string>model</string>
	<key>Value</key>
	<string>Intel HD Graphics 630</string>
</dict>

Quoted from my comment in another thread, you guys may want to enable this. My understanding is SMBIOS 9,1 would be the first of Apple's line up to take advantage of HWP and SpeedShift. Others will eventually follow. I read this IRCC on Piker's blog. May have no effect for on Macs as of now, but will in Windows if you guys are dual booting which I would expect since we apparently have the touchpad from hell.

I have however enabled Speed Shift from the BIOS and confirmed in Windows using this link, super easy and set at the BIOS level. You may have already done it but worth noting here for future owners. Nice and knowledgeable thread too.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-15-9560-owners-thread.800611/

Lastest Clover (4012) now has initial support for Kaby Lake so our CPU shows up as it's supposed to and not xeon type. I changed something to get it to show Intel HD 630 but it's obviously using Skylake kext but aesthetics are nice. That goes in Devices -> AddProperties.

Updated Clover and now About This Mac shows that I have an i7 which is nice! 

But I added that section in my config under the 'AddProperties' section with the rest of IntelGFX stuff I already had and it's still reported as "Intel Unknown 1536MB".  :(

Quoted from my comment in another thread, you guys may want to enable this. My understanding is SMBIOS 9,1 would be the first of Apple's line up to take advantage of HWP and SpeedShift. Others will eventually follow. I read this IRCC on Piker's blog. May have no effect for on Macs as of now, but will in Windows if you guys are dual booting which I would expect since we apparently have the touchpad from hell.

Yep, I am indeed dual booting, will probably need to forever since I do actually game on this, and also have an eGPU with a 1060 which doesn't work with Mac (and probably won't for the foreseeable future). Plus I have the fingerprint reader and I don't see that working on Mac either...

And I have already enabled SpeedShift  :thumbsup_anim:

It's got a touchpad from hell but I still like it more than the Retina MacBook Pro 2013 I'm coming from!