Get system log from 10.12+ much much easier(by just a simply click)

syscl

16 posts in this topic

Well, as of 10.12, Apple removed /var/log/system.log, which made developers' life much more inconvenient. Especially for further debugging. Though we can use log command to print out all the log from system, but hey, why should we use such a ridiculous way every time to see log?? That's why I started this project maclog for Sierra to make our life much easier. 

How to use?

• Download executable program from my GitHub: https://github.com/syscl/maclog
  • Double left click to execute maclog(P.S. for first time use: right click -> open)

That's it. No more command you need to type in.

If you enjoy this project don't hesitate to star it :)

If you have good idea please don't hesitate to let me know :)

Wish you all enjoy :)

Best wishes,

syscl

• Like 15

I think I'm the only one who loved the new logging system. It is more handy...

I reboot macOS frequently, I need to see if one of my patch work or not instantly.

I don't think the new logging system is good for debugging. If people want to log that way, that's OK. But, Apple should not hide the system.log for users in old school. About how to log, it's up to users.

By hiding the system.log, we will get bug free macOS now. Clever move Apple. Now no one can blame them(Apple) for error messages. Can you imagine if they removed the fuel indicator on a car because you complained weren't getting enough MPG as reported? Same on 10.12.2, Apple removed time remaining estimate for laptop users.

syscl

• Like 1

You are just exaggerating the whole thing. It is not a new move to "hide" (for me it is just consolidation!) logging system, see other *nix OS's...

For the beginners (most apple users) there is an App (console.app) for it. For other advanced users the manual pages shouldn't be scary (see `man log`).

For your workaround it is a nice and clean project, kudos.

You are just exaggerating the whole thing. It is not a new move to "hide" (for me it is just consolidation!) logging system, see other *nix OS's...

For the beginners (most apple users) there is an App (console.app) for it. For other advanced users the manual pages shouldn't be scary (see `man log`).

For your workaround it is a nice and clean project, kudos.

The problem is can you see kernel log from console.app directly(10.12+)? I admit new logging system provides great flexibility when users want detail/specific log information. But it's  just inconvenient when users who just want to see the log directly/instantly. 

syscl

I don't know how to use that new console app. I was and am still using terminal for it:

log show --predicate 'process == "kernel"' --style syslog --source --info

or

log show --predicate 'eventMessage CONTAINS "kernel"' --style syslog --source --info

Edit:

You could probably merge both of them. I didn't test it though:

log show --predicate 'process == "kernel" OR eventMessage CONTAINS "kernel"' --style syslog --source --info

I don't know how to use that new console app. I was and am still using terminal for it:

log show --predicate 'process == "kernel"' --style syslog --source --info

or

log show --predicate 'eventMessage CONTAINS "kernel"' --style syslog --source --info

New console app can no more see any of the system.log, even in System Report... -> Logs -> Kernel log.

Anyway thanks for the above two command lines, I will consider adding into my project.

syscl

Maybe the reason is user permissions. I don't know, I'm not using console app.

Happy to help you there.

If the reason is user permissions, why we can simply use log(without sudo) command to print out all the log? 

syscl

Well, as of 10.12, Apple removed /var/log/system.log, which made developers' life much more inconvenient. Especially for further debugging. Though we can use log command to print out all the log from system, but hey, why should we use such a ridiculous way every time to see log?? That's why I started this project maclog for Sierra to make our life much easier. 

How to use?

• Download executable program from my GitHub: https://github.com/syscl/maclog
  • Double left click to execute maclog(P.S. for first time use: right click -> open)

That's it. No more command you need to type in.

If you enjoy this project don't hesitate to star it :)

If you have good idea please don't hesitate to let me know :)

Wish you all enjoy :)

Best wishes,

syscl

My life is much easier! Thanks a bunch!

• 4 months later...