Video card opinions

crunchly

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I've been using various nVidia cards in my hacks for some time, but I am ready for a new card after giving my GTX 660 to my son. I'm relatively familiar with the Geforce options, but would be interested in what AMD cards folks have and how happy they are. My budget is a little limited, but I can probably swing most AMD cards, as most look to be available either new or used/refurbished in my price range. Some cards I was looking at are the RX 480, R9 Fury/Fury X and R9 390/X, but I am not sold on any in particular.

I've tried to do some research and am familiar with some of the caveats of AMD (or Clover + AMD?) at the moment (helper card for boot video, possible edits to enable compute units...). If it helps, the card will go into a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH/3770k currently running 10.11.6, but will probably update to 10.12.x sometime soon.

If any kind folks here would mind providing the card they are running and whether it has been stable, performs well and whether they are generally happy with their choice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

crunchly

The Fury X is the most powerful currently available AMD card.  It works fine after modifying the AMDRadeonX4100 kext as described here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312701-macos-1012-amd-r9-nanofury-fiji/

and here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/313977-r9-nano/

The usual AMD restrictions apply.  Enable onboard graphics as primary and black screen until drivers load when booting.  If you need to observe the boot process, connect your monitor to the onboard graphics.

Ive always run Sapphire AMD cards, currently running twin 7970s in one rig and I got a RX480 in another. Just takes a few tweaks to make the RX work, just like the fury X. If you got the cash and don't mind fiddling around a bit, Fury X is a great card :) 

Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I am going to keep reading about the fixes for these card and probably pull the trigger soon. I actually feel more comfortable with the tweaks needed to get these to work with native drivers than to rely on Nvidia to continue to provide drivers for products they don't really support (on macos).

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...