Mac OSX Sierra can not be installed on your computer - Dell Latitude E6220 SandyBridge i5-2520M

Albertraviss

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys...been breaking my head over this. I am not totally a noob at this but from the days of El capitan I am having serious headaches. I am running Yosemite on Dell latitude E6220 with intel HD Graphics 3000 and i5-2520M. Almost everything works except the onboard wifi card. Recently I have been trying to install Sierra on this PC since there are lots of tutorials for this same PC. However my case is not a success story. I am getting an error 2 minutes into the installation that Mac OS X sierra can not be installed on my PC. Yet the specs are okay. In some post someone was advised to change the SMBios to one that Sierra supports, so I uses Macbook Pro 8.1 which should be fine but I get the same error. Please know that after finding issues booting with clover I decided to use Enoch the latest release and it boots up smoothly to the installation screen but that error is killing me. I have changed hard drives still the same thing.Someone suggested that you have to enlarge the EFI partition but my system is using chameleon so I do not think I have an EFI partition. I am not a lazy person , I have read a lot but looks like I have hit a dead end.Anyone with anything I could try is more than welcome. Cheers

Have you taken a look at the install log when you get the error? Usually if it's a model issue it'll let you know before going through with the install, but if it's after the install starts then I'm curious what the log says. Press Alt+L to view it while the installer is running.

I run Sierra on my E6420 which has specs essentially the same other than a different sandy bridge i5 CPU model. You're correct that MacBookPro8,1 will pass the Sierra model test as I use that as well, though the board-id info needs to get injected. Clover takes care of that for you and with Enoch it's done through smbios.plist but it sounds like that's probably not the issue either as you're getting the message after the install actually starts.

If you want to try Clover again, go for it and use this for its config.plist https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD3000_1366x768.plistand see if it makes any difference.

Have you taken a look at the install log when you get the error? Usually if it's a model issue it'll let you know before going through with the install, but if it's after the install starts then I'm curious what the log says. Press Alt+L to view it while the installer is running.

I run Sierra on my E6420 which has specs essentially the same other than a different sandy bridge i5 CPU model. You're correct that MacBookPro8,1 will pass the Sierra model test as I use that as well, though the board-id info needs to get injected. Clover takes care of that for you and with Enoch it's done through smbios.plist but it sounds like that's probably not the issue either as you're getting the message after the install actually starts.

If you want to try Clover again, go for it and use this for its config.plist https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD3000_1366x768.plistand see if it makes any difference.

Thanks a lot for sharing that information. I am gonna try and look at the log and see what it says. The reason I left clover is because it gives me an error 'no kext summary;can not perform kext scan' while booting from USB in legacy mode. I have read a bunch of great things about it so I ran to it first. The other problem is I have failed to get my PC to see clover EFI partiton for UEFI booting. The option is not there yet I tried to install clover to the EFI partition of my USB but it just doesnt show up in the UEFI boot options. Also tried to boot my currently running Yosmite in UEFI after installing clover but failed, yet windows 10 UEFI partition is seen. Maybe that problem would have been solved if I could boot the sierra USB installer off clover in UEFI mode.

I couldn't get my E6420 to boot OS X in UEFI mode either no matter what settings I changed in the InsydeH2O settings so I boot in legacy mode. It's a known issue with some InsydeH2O firmware so I just leave it be.

"no kext summary;can not perform kext scan" is usually linked to Clover having issues identifying memory type and such and injecting the correct info. It's surprising that you're getting that error. If you're still getting it, take a picture of it and post it.

The wireless card  have is not supported...Intel Centrino and I am on Bios A13. Let me give it another try and I will post the logs and information here. And btw I have a weird DW5550 device in device manager. In Yosemite it is seen as a network Device but I don't know what it is since even in windows it is in the other devices category. Thanks for trying to help guys.

Intel wireless cards are not supported, you'll have to replace your with a supported model. Plenty to choose from (DW1510, DW1520, Apple's BCM94360CD with mini-PCIe adapter, etc.). You can look here for a non-exhaustive list.

The DW5550 device is WWAN (3G) module. If you want to get this working under OS X/macOS, look here. Insert a full size SIM card in the dedicated slot under the battery and off you go. It's a bit obsolete nowadays with smartphones that can offer 3G/4G access through mobilme hotspots.

Thanks for that info Hervé...However whichever method I use to create the bootable OSX USB i still get Cannot install Sierra on your computer. I have looked at the log and I found something like "Packagekit: An error occured while extracting from the package BaseSystemResources.pkg". I wonder what could cause this since I have tried different USBs and different Sierra DMG images.

"Packagekit: An error occured while extracting from the package BaseSystemResources.pkg" When stuff like this happens with real Macs, it comes down to bad install media, a bad hard disk, or issues with memory.

You say you made install media correctly (I assume) many times and got the same error so let's assume it's not the install media itself that's causing it.

As for memory issues, the message you got with Clover "no kext summary;can not perform kext scan" (I assume without anything specific being traced back to kernel code) but not with Enoch makes me suspicious that it can be memory-related. Perhaps it's not a physical memory issue but rather the wrong info being injected by the bootloader for one of the sticks as that's the most common cause of that boot error in Clover. Since people run into these same Installer errors on real Macs when they have memory issues, it's worth taking a look at. Boot your install media via Enoch with the boot flag

Wait=Yes

and look and see what info is getting detected for your memory stick(s) and if they differ. Feel free to take a pic of it and see if anything odd stands out. 

If it's an issue writing to the disk, there's a way you can look at the system log after the Installer gives up. As long as you have the Installer Log window open when you hit that error and it asks you to restart, you can go to the menu bar -> Utilities -> Terminal. from there run

cat /var/log/system.log

and see if anything there stands out regarding the disk.

I have tried MacPawn and the method suggested above. Today I tried to install El Capitan to see if I end up getting the same error. but this time I get a kernel Panic I can't trace to any kext...Please see attached picture. Turns out I am stuck with Yosemite.

post-953612-0-24968300-1483773324_thumb.jpg

Yeah I am using Enoch. I somehow managed to install El Capitan with boot flags cpus=1 maxmen=4096 -f -v. Now I have been trying to use the same for Sierra but failed. I get "Failed to extract files from Essentials.pkg". I have tried two USB keys one with Enoch and one with clover Legacy. So I really think it is a RAM issue. I am going to trying getting it out and cleaning the slot. Thanks