oddidty ... yosemite versus a OLD leopard .. HELP

noisy mouse

19 posts in this topic

Ok so i have been going round in circles trying to install Yosemite on a Asus p5n-e ... cant get it to see sata drive when at install screen etc ... so after days of trying mucking about and frustration i decided to dig up any old ide drive i had laying about ... now i havent used this drive in like forever and was way back ... so segate 80gig ide ... popped it in the pc selected it to boot just to see what format it was ie if it was like windows xp 98 etc etc ... my surprise it boots into osx leopard ... this drive has never been is this moborad before ... yet i have spent days trying to install yosemite ... AND heres the clintcher ... it sees sata harddrive attatched .. im like hmmm confused ...

So any help as to why i cant get yosemite install to see the  sata harddrive when OLD leopard does without me having to configure kexts etc ... sigh ... i am at breaking point ready to give it away as a lost cause ... bigger sighs

There is no setting in bios for ahci ... there is only jmicron sata controller enable or disable niether changes it seeing the sata drive ... Yosemite installer not seeing SATA period ... old leopard see's it with same setting in bios as the Yosemite install ...

Have tried .. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with legacy support ... i get usb and mouse support can get to installer no sata ... [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]  without legacy surrport ... no usb keyboard or mouse so not sure if can see sata ... tried pandroa , tried clover, with varying results from not getting to installer with panic and double panic , or just straight up blinking cursor top left with no further progress... i am confused because leopard see's it ... i know i need to focus on the yosemite install but i dont understand the difference ... is there anyway for me to find what kext leopard is using and using it in yosemite install ... and if so how do i insert it into the usb installer without breaking the install as i tried with usb legacy as in IOUSBFAMILY" kext and it breaks the install goes into panic ..

sorry if i sound confusing but its doing my head in ... I have 2 working hacks ... this one is yosemite the other is lion ... the lion one runs a server but the server software wont update on lion ... lion too old ... so trying to build a newer yosemite build for server ... but i keep going around in circles ... spending hours creating usb install that dont work sigh

ok wierd update ... so buggered of the leopard ide drive connected a basic 80 gig ide .. nope not seen ... only see's the installer usb (within appls install screen disk utlity) decided just for the heck of it put while still running a external usb harddrive ... ok im confused it see's it straight up no reboot ... so have installed onto usb external and have installed rebooted ... 2 step... via usb installer usb into installed usb external and it runs ... sigh ok future steps ... use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or similar to patch harddrive see if can get run ... any thoughts or is like something that is like how the F does that work ?

Your motherboard has MCP51 chipset which is too old for AHCI support so you can use this kext for IDE/SATA support - https://github.com/andyvand/AppleNForceATA- give it a try as this updated version should support 10.10. I'm not surprised that t*nymacx86 stuff doesn't include support for it.

The old 10.5 install probably worked since the old version of AppleNForceATA was usually included in 10.5 distros.

• Like 1

ok thanks :-) so if i boot my install using usb as connection , use kext utility ? to install the AppleNForceATA kext ?

will i then be able to desconnect it from the usb and connect via sata connection to start it up ? and i assume i need to run repair permissions afterwards , / prior to reboot ...

thanks for taking the time to help

Ok did that had to enable show all files then used kext wizard to install and repair permissions, used to rebuild the osx install installer (osx) see's sata harddrive ... Yeah ... ok i will prob have some more questions such as so far i have to use - x -f to get it to boot anywhere into osx .. but i will do search of forums before hassling you with requests ...

Thank you so much for your help my head doesnt hurt as much now :-)

ok well i get futher than i have previously ... but i am getting stuck at login screen ... spinning rainbow circle ... hangs ... went past install the setup account etc ... reboot as it does ... selected usb to boot selected yosemite on harddrive as boot ... -x -v -f plus as my vid card is a older nvidia card .. GraphicsEnabler=Yes  Npci=0x2000 nv_disbale=0

so now i am confused yet again as it went through the install rebooted and went through user setup ... why the hang at the login ? prob a newbie question but well im stuck and swallow pride ...

have pluged into my working yosemight complete different spec ... so i can do a repair permissions etc ... about to go retry ...

sigh nope no go all i can get to is a rainbow circle at login wont go past tried boot flags same as i installed with no working ... waiting on a mainboard and cpu from ebay same as this pc ... so will retry sometime next week ... as has done my head in yosemite on p5n ... possibly work with mavericks but dont have installesd for mavericks did have it but now no available on app store .... thanks for the input ... if you have any ideas i can try ... as i will be leaving the install unfinalised until i get new hardware ... why do i get rainbow circle no further ... ? i dont understand ... if it doesnt like hardware why wont it boot past that have minimal resources but bootable ? if it can do install rboot use usb to finalise install why does it hang with usb boot to osx ... thanks for the input yep my hardware is old ... but i love osx but cant afford to buy latest or close to latest hardware to run anything newer than what i have now

If you're getting it at login, you can try booting up the install media and doing a permissions repair from disk utility and see if that makes a difference. I've never run into something like this myself.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301738-spinning-beach-ball-after-typing-password-to-login/?do=findComment&comment=2259613

Let me know if that gets you past the login issue.

as for getting a copy of Mavericks - yeah you can't get earlier versions of OS X from the app store.

I'll PM you some more info about that.

Yep i had tried that saw the same post last night , even plugged it into my main osx machine and did repair install did a repair disk, something i saw on a post that icant find again was having dvd/cd being ide on the primary ide cotroller port... mine is on secondry but set dvd as master on that cable, disabled the primary idde controller so only using the secondry , maybe that my spinning beach ball issue , but dont understand why that wouldn't have caused similar issue for leopard ... havent tried yet as have to pull harddrives out as they over the controller conector ... i will give it more time lol glutton for punishment lol

ok long story short had a old mavericks system disk ( was running on this one) which i have added AppleNforceata to ... i can boot it but only if i first boot off usb ... and use command lines

GraphicsEnabler=Yes nv_disable=0 npci=0x2000 and i use so can see whats happening -v also use -f ... and i can boot into the operating system fine but for the life of me i cant get it to boot without firt the usb... it will boot by itself to select the boot disk as in select os screen if i choise mavericks it goes through its thing and then reboots ... i use the strings above same...

it goes through all the rolling screens of text ... then reboots ... so i dont get to see what its doing ... so atm i am stuck booting of the usb first then selecting Mavericks .. i will search more on this issue ... at least now i not getting the rainbow circle ... that went away after moving dvd to ide primary and set as master

ok Mavericks up and running no command lines needed preboot ... edited org.chamelionboot.plist ... spelling prob worng but i think you will know what i mean anyways ... slowly getting there ... now to get network card working , screensaver just goes to a blank screen move mouse and im back ... odd doesnt matter what screen saver i choice ... not a issue for what i am trying to setup ... so after a lot of mucking about ..... slowly getting it working the most frustrating part is ii can sort of say what worked and what didnt cause i tried so many things that its prob part this part that ... i Reckon the rainbow circle was ide port issue with dvd drive .... question ... i have a nvidia geforce 8400gs card pci-e ... i am usinging nv_disable=0 in chamelion plist ... i havent tried without or setting it to 1 ... will it break it or work better ... question 2 i have set -f in kernal flags ... wil this slow boot... question 3 default partition i am having issue tring to set this ... do i name the partition NAME or hd0,1 ... etc as im not sure of hd0,1 or is it hd0,2 etc ...

GraphicsEnabler=Yes nv_disable=0 npci=0x2000 and i use so can see whats happening -v also use -f ... and i can boot into the operating system fine but for the life of me i cant get it to boot without firt the usb... it will boot by itself to select the boot disk as in select os screen if i choise mavericks it goes through its thing and then reboots ... i use the strings above same...

What CPU are you using on the system you're trying to boot from? If you have a modded kernel on the USB install media then it's using that kernel over the one on your hard drive when you boot the hard drive via the USB, if that's the case. Or there's a setting in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file that differs from your com.chameleon.Boot.plist on your hard drive though I couldn't think of one that would cause a reboot like that. Figure out what's different between the two bootloader setups.

Remove nv_disable unless you plan on preventing the nvidia kexts from loading for whatever reason. That's its purpose - if you aren't trying to disable the loading of the kexts then you shouldn't have it set.

For 8400gs you should have

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

set in org.chameleon.Boot.plist to enable GraphicsEnabler. Let me know if there are display detection issues as I remember some 8400gs models having issues. If that's the case then you'll have to manually set the NVCAP value which needs to be correct in order to detect your card's connector setup and I can help with that if you end up having to do that.

As for the screensaver issue - it sounds like you don't have graphics acceleration working yet. You need to inject the correct info for your card as I specified above.

For getting your LAN card working you need to use nForceLAN.kext- I'll attach a copy that should work. Install into /System/Library/Extensions.

For the -f boot flag you don't need that, assuming you have your needed kexts included in the Mavericks kernelcache. Have this set in org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

and remove -f from the boot flags and you'll boot much faster. Anytime you install a new kext in /System/Library/Extensions with the correct ownership (root:wheel) you can run the command: 

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

to rebuild the kernel cache. If you are using some kext installer helper app then I'm sure it does all of this for you.

For default partitions the disk number starts with 0 and the partition number starts with 1. For example hd(1,1) is the first partition on your second disk. hd(0,2) is the second partition on your first disk. If you aren't sure which disk is hd(0) and which is hd(1) then you'll figure it out by changing this setting a few times.

nForceLAN.kext.zip

wow awesome reply ... i did get it booting from harddrive prior to reading this but about to go get the network sorted so thanks heaps hopefully this will solve the last of my issues ... :-) my display does slow refreshes when i load apps thinking something i havent configured correctly yet ... but with the above i should be able to sort it ... will let you know :-)

I looked into it and it looks like 8400gs uses NVDANV50Hal.kext and the last version of OS X that had that driver was 10.9. So if you want 8400gs support then you'll have to restart and install Mavericks instead. :(

• Like 1

ok got lan working :-) boots without me adding extra comands ... BUT for the life of me i cant get nvidia geforce 8400 pci-e card to run properly ... if i use nv_disable and run apples default nvdia kxts it will boot up  to desktop ... otherwise i either get the circle with slash and freeze or just a black screen .. tried nvidia web driver kext ... even pulled the nvidia card put in a older ati x1650 .. screen refresh rate is {censored} ... running in base video mode ... will keep at it ... Nawcom ... do you have or can direct me to a working 8400 kext for mavericks ? what i am setting this machine up for doesnt really require great graphics but is frustrating when trying to setup shares and i get screen refreshes every 1/2 second lol

I looked into it and it looks like 8400gs uses NVDANV50Hal.kext and the last version of OS X that had that driver was 10.9. So if you want 8400gs support then you'll have to restart and install Mavericks instead. :(

lol ok ... um if you have a look back up the list of posts you will see i am now trying mavericks ... :-) but what you have inputted has helped me heaps ... i have a running os ... its just now the fine tune ... :-) i downloaded the web nvidia driver / kext it killed it ... so rather than reinstall hooked up drive to this one ... went thru deleted the web kexts etc... had a bit of mucking about but got it back up... have pulled the ATI card as more trouble than worth to get it up than the nvidia card ... did some searching for kexts for mav on the 8400 ... found one looks promising about to go try it now oh p.s i cant get to login without nv_disbale it just goes black screen ... but maybe once install these kexts i can remove that :-)

You can try these kexts and install them into /System/Library/Extensions. They're going to replace the vanilla kexts there so back them up if you want to. If you google "8400gs 10.9" you'll find a pkg you can download from multiple sites. These are the kexts it installs and I have no idea if they work.

8400gs-10.9.zip

• Like 1

ok up and running had issues with it locking up after 1hr or so ... the memory i am running is 800 but i have found that if i clock it back to 533 it doesnt crash ... everything else is working ... :-) yea ...

thanks for the help ... would have been still pulling hair out ... :)