[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

recovery is easy: copy the required kexts in your clover - kext - other folder and it should boot again. you can do this from windows as well as from the OSX recovery mode.

if the usb is not recognized but can boot into clover from the usb drive, then its created the wrong way. can be a faulty or wrong download of the osx installer files, faulty usb drive (or wrong partition type!), or a tool on your computer which messes around with your files to make it unbootable.

But please dont continue asking questions here about boot media creation - it's indeed offtopic.

are you sure this is the issue on our machine, or is this just a guess based on a fix on another setup?

Because my friend test in his computer when etc ram lock then nvram doesn’t work.

When rtc ram lock disabled then nvram works well.

But I don’t find rtc ram lock in our bios but only rtc lock and bios lock.

And I test rtc lock to disable but still have no native nvram work.

So it maybe need more issue.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Because my friend test in his computer when etc ram lock then nvram doesn’t work.

When rtc ram lock disabled then nvram works well.

was his computer a dell xps 15?

afaik this option is only available on some mainboards, depends if there is a RTC+NVRAM combo chip installed.

Hi, I had a perfectly working 10.13.1 installation and it has suddenly started crashing on boot. I tried to boot verbose but it just flashes two lines real quick before rebooting instantly. This is what it shows (attached in image).

Any ideas?

post-1234911-0-64736900-1515001440_thumb.png

Hi, I had a perfectly working 10.13.1 installation and it has suddenly started crashing on boot. I tried to boot verbose but it just flashes two lines real quick before rebooting instantly. This is what it shows (attached in image).

Any ideas?

install corrupted, maybe by an update to 10.13.2?

had a similar issue, was able to fix it by clearing the kernel cache.

install corrupted, maybe by an update to 10.13.2?

had a similar issue, was able to fix it by clearing the kernel cache.

Ah ok, I hadn't updated to 10.13.2, kept delaying it, so I don't think its that.

How would I go about clearing the kernel cache if I can't get it to boot? I tried using my installer usb and it wouldn't even boot from that clover install either.

Ah ok, I hadn't updated to 10.13.2, kept delaying it, so I don't think its that.

How would I go about clearing the kernel cache if I can't get it to boot? I tried using my installer usb and it wouldn't even boot from that clover install either.

boot into recovery/installer, mount harddisk, remove cache... (unless you cant boot into the installer either, then you have to debug further into clover extensions like osxaptio)

boot into recovery/installer, mount harddisk, remove cache... (unless you cant boot into the installer either, then you have to debug further into clover extensions like osxaptio)

Yeah I can't boot into the installer either which is what has me confused. The same set of kexts was working perfectly fine for so long, nothing changed that I know of. Any suggestions as to what could have caused this, or what to look at? Biggest issue is I only have the two lines when I boot, so I don't really know what to debug since it was all working before.

Yeah I can't boot into the installer either which is what has me confused. The same set of kexts was working perfectly fine for so long, nothing changed that I know of. Any suggestions as to what could have caused this, or what to look at? Biggest issue is I only have the two lines when I boot, so I don't really know what to debug since it was all working before.

check slide parameter. only thing i can think of: you did plug in a device / changed something on your hardware, which resulted in a change of your memory mapping. but its only a very uneducated guess

Guys, please check new release for card reader, which is not working in High Sierra, but can work in 10.12.x. I need to know result for further construction. Thanks in advance 

does it also include power management to the card reader?

• Like 1

Big news for everybody - we have working NVRAM!

Here is link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280640

In this attachment you may find two .efi drivers - this are updated AptioFix drivers - v1 and v2. Both are fixed for working NVRAM on Skylake+ platforms. Choose which one you prefer more (normally, v2 with calculated slide should be preferable)

And say big thanks to vit9696 and Download-Fritz for this fix ;) They deserve it.

Big news for everybody - we have working NVRAM!

Here is link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280640

In this attachment you may find two .efi drivers - this are updated AptioFix drivers - v1 and v2. Both are fixed for working NVRAM on Skylake+ platforms. Choose which one you prefer more (normally, v2 with calculated slide should be preferable)

And say big thanks to vit9696 and Download-Fritz for this fix ;) They deserve it.

good news. More information is available here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/317802-efi-variable-store-on-aptio-v-haswell-e-and-up/?hl=+download#8208fritz=&page=10

just in case something goes wrong: does somebody know how to clean the nvram of the dell?

• Like 1

good news. More information is available here: https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/317802-efi-variable-store-on-aptio-v-haswell-e-and-up/?hl=+download#8208fritz=&page=10

just in case something goes wrong: does somebody know how to clean the nvram of the dell?

Talking about NVRAM globally:

- don't try to work with NVRAM directly if you are not 150% sure what you are doing

- UEFI system are very sensitive to NVRAM content, and you can make hard-break to your board if you will do mistake (i did - and was recovering with hardware flasher over SOIC clip on my bios chip :) )

- NVRAM contains all permanent-changeable data. It contains internal board settings, UEFI user setting etc., as well as some OS/user settings. All this is separated by GUID. So having GUID + Variable name you can take some value (if such exists in NVRAM)

Now - about cleaning. First - don't try to clean whole NVRAM - you will for 100% break hardware.

Next - taling about Apple specific data in NVRAM - there are two options. First - you can use "sudo nvram -c" in system. This will wipe all data from NVRAM that are laying under Apple GUID (this is safe, you will not break anything) - this may be sometimes useful when you have issues with system.

Also, if your system is not booting - you can use F11 hotkey in Clover - in theory, should do same as "nvram -c", but I had no time and effort to check this in clover sources.

Except Apple GUID - macOS can also change some generic variables - like Boot* variables that are responsible for boot options in F12 menu (believe me - you will see this effect - after enabling hardware NVRAM your macOS will care about you and will add extra option "Mac OS X" pointing to default BOOT/bootx64.efi)

Outside of scope of Apple GUID and some few generic variable - don't touch anything without good knowledge - it is even more sensitive than glass on corner of table.

• Like 2

Guys, please check new release for card reader, which is not working in High Sierra, but can work in 10.12.x. I need to know result for further construction. Thanks in advance 

That would be awesome if it works - icing on the cake for me.   After using kext utility to install, do I need to make any edits to my plist?   I thought I remember reading that somewhere but couldn't find any example of what to enter.   Thanks very much.

Has anyone tried the new 10.13.2 updates for spectre and meltdown?

I currently have 10.12.5 and was thinking whether to update to 10.12.6 or 10.13.2

I was thinking to upgrade to high sierra anyway, but would like to get the patches for spectre and meltdown.

anyone brave enough to try the updates?

Has anyone tried the new 10.13.3 updates for spectre and meltdown?

I currently have 10.12.5 and was thinking whether to update to 10.12.6 or 10.13.2

I was thinking to upgrade to high sierra anyway, but would like to get the patches for spectre and meltdown.

anyone brave enough to try the updates?

the beta? nah. but the 10.13.2 security patch works w/o a problem.

I want to thank @wmchris and the others who contributed to this wonderful guide.

I was able to achieve 99% of a real MacOS computer, the only thing that is not working is the card reader. Even the TB3 works and powers my Samsung display via Displayport @4k 60hz (also it's hot-pluggable).

Benchmarked it just to see if there is any performance hit compared to a real Macbook and got scores better than the £2600+ MacBook Pro on Geekbench.

Updated today to 10.13.2 and worked flawlessly.

Managed to install Windows 10 alongside on the same NVME drive and I just got the perfect development machine.

Dell just issued a new BIOS 1.6.1 I think is the version which deals with the Intel issues but didn't try it yet.

hello all,

I had the distorted audio from the headphones port issue, so I tried to fix it by using voodoo HDA, but that just got rid of the headphone port audio completely. I am not sure how to reinstall the original AppleHDA audio. could anyone tell me the process of installing and enabling appleHDA on the 9550?

thanks

hello all,

I had the distorted audio from the headphones port issue, so I tried to fix it by using voodoo HDA, but that just got rid of the headphone port audio completely. I am not sure how to reinstall the original AppleHDA audio. could anyone tell me the process of installing and enabling appleHDA on the 9550?

thanks

see repository, there is even an installation file...

The "AppleHDA_sysCL" install file does not do anything for my audio, it just makes my audio devices completely disappear. I do not really know how to correctly reinstall the appleHDA. Can you direct me in the right direction?

thanks

open the install file with an text editor and check the commands. Also read the readme file and the tutorial.

AppleHDA patching is a pretty normal step in the hackintosh world. If you cant get it to work on your own with all the informations available on the internet, you will have major problems in the future and should overthink your decision to use a hackintosh...