[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

read https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/Tutorial_10.12_Step7.md

its part of the tutorial.... -_-

I'm sorry for these nooby questions... I'm just very frustrated and Google isn't getting me anywhere! After installing Windows on a different partition, I can't boot to Clover without the flash drive anymore. I tried disabling windows boot manager and legacy boot but those did not work. It just boots straight to Windows. I have to boot the USB drive to get to clover. I've tried installing clover on OS X as well without success. Is there anything else I can do?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry for these nooby questions... I'm just very frustrated and Google isn't getting me anywhere! After installing Windows on a different partition, I can't boot to Clover without the flash drive anymore. I tried disabling windows boot manager and legacy boot but those did not work. It just boots straight to Windows. I have to boot the USB drive to get to clover. I've tried installing clover on OS X as well without success. Is there anything else I can do?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

You should boot from your osx install USB and mount EFI. Navigate to Windows/boot and rename bootmrg.efi to bootmrg-org.efi. this will put clover back in business

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You should boot from your osx install USB and mount EFI. Navigate to Windows/boot and rename bootmrg.efi to bootmrg-org.efi. this will put clover back in business

But this need to be repeated every each time after windows updates its files, changing boot eateries is just update-proof for both operating systems.

But this need to be repeated every each time after windows updates its files, changing boot eateries is just update-proof for both operating systems.

That make sense now. Never thought about it's I should read the tutorial once again.

Hi, i'm considering to install macOS on my 9550, could someone tell me how is the battery life compared to windows?

at the moment at 95%, maybe a lil bit more, maybe a lil bit less - depends on how you use windows and mac.

no need to continue. eGPU is not supported, because thunderbolt does not work.

Luckily, this is not correct when running Windows: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/xps-15-9550-not-able-to-reach-40gbps-over-tb3/paged/4/#post-1509

The Akitio Node is supporting the 9550 and 9560, both of which have 2 lanes and the bandwidth is enough to accelerate an external 1080p or higher res screen. Only the 4k internal screen will not be accelerated probably, since the bandwidth won't suffice.

And yes, the 2017 9560 is STILL limited. Dell f*d that up nicely, even with Kaby Lake.

Luckily, this is not correct when running Windows: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/xps-15-9550-not-able-to-reach-40gbps-over-tb3/paged/4/#post-1509

The Akitio Node is supporting the 9550 and 9560, both of which have 2 lanes and the bandwidth is enough to accelerate an external 1080p or higher res screen. Only the 4k internal screen will not be accelerated probably, since the bandwidth won't suffice.

And yes, the 2017 9560 is STILL limited. Dell f*d that up nicely, even with Kaby Lake.

obviously thunderbolt works from other operating systems, but it doesnt work from inside mac os. so unless someone writes a fix for TB there is no chance to make it run. and questions regarding "does this work from within windows" is a lil bit offtopic on a forum called "insanelymac" ;)

Any device released before launch of the new Macbook Pro won't work. Apple dropped backward compatibility with the thunderbolt chips manufactured before November 2016, - Source - 9to5mac.

Unless as wmchris said somebody wrote a patch/fix/kext for thunderbolt it won't work out of the box (Some of the users from other hackintosh forums reported that motherboards with 2xx chipsets and built-in thunderbolt chips & connectors works straight after  mac os installation without any patches/fixes or additional kext, also external thunderbolt adapters connected to motherboard has no issues with compatibility under Mac os).

If anybody of you have thunderbolt device for test it and share the ioreg/system information dumps, here is the github thread where @syscl & @dpassmor are working on patch/fix for usb-c/thunderbolt https://github.com/syscl/XPS9350-macOS/issues/33

@Gymnae you should be able to use two 4k display screen under windows, also according to Dave Lee's youtube video you should be able to use eGPU with external display without noticeable drops in performance.

The port itself still runs at 40Gbits/s - this is not affected by the number of PCI-e lanes. Thunderbolt acts as an interface for many different types of signal, PCI-e data being only one of them. A Single PCI-e lane runs at 8Gbit/s, so 4 lanes can provide upto 32Gbit/s, whilst 2 lanes can provide 16Gbit/s. DisplayPort data itself is provided on a different set of dedicated display lanes, and is capable of carrying up to 34Gbit/s worth of DisplayPort data - enough to power 2 4k displays at 60Hz. A Thunderbolt 3 port will happily supply a full 40Gbit/s using data from any number of sources, be it PCI-e, DisplayPort or USB, so long as the combined total stays below the maximum of 40Gbit/s that the port is able to handle.

For example, a Thunderbolt 3 port may supply 32Gbit/s of DisplayPort data, and an additional 8Gbit/s of PCI-e data, for a total of 40Gbit/s, or it could provide 16GBit/s of PCI-e bandwidth, 16Gbit/s of DisplayPort data - it doesn't really matter as long as the total bandwidth is kept under the limits for each set of lanes and the total limit (40Gbit/s) for the TB 3 port.

Whilst the 2 PCI-e lanes may be a limiting factor for eGPU usage in the future, it currently has little impact unless the internal display is being used, and will not affect how many displays the XPS 15 can handle

mac os for some reason its only capable of running 4k@30hz (both DP and HDMI checked) which was reported even by real macbook pro users. 4k display screens so far are not plug&play devices at the moment.

• Like 1

Just yesterday I updated my XPS BIOS and now I can't control brightness. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

-Nick

If you've questions or something doesn't work: first check if you've done all steps of this tutorial! If yes: please read the whole thread (doesn't matter how long it is) before asking to prevent multiple questions. Additionally do a search in google and this forum.

After the first reboot you should see a new boot option inside clover, which is highlighted by default. Just press enter. If you only see one, then something went wrong.

Hey, I try to install Sierra on my xps 15 9550 I7 4k since 3 days. I did 15 keys with différents clover option.

But i don't understand why, after the first reboot  i dont have the OSX option in clover to continue install. I try to boot différents .efi in bios ,like cloverx.efi in USB , etc but never have the option on reboot. I search on forum and threads but i didn't see this problem.

Is it possible , it's he Clovers Options on USB key ? 

What clover option do you use (if you use) ? The replacement of CLOVER folder by archive replace all options or not ? 

Thanks ! 

Hey, I try to install Sierra on my xps 15 9550 I7 4k since 3 days. I did 15 keys with différents clover option.

But i don't understand why, after the first reboot  i dont have the OSX option in clover to continue install. I try to boot différents .efi in bios ,like cloverx.efi in USB , etc but never have the option on reboot. I search on forum and threads but i didn't see this problem.

Is it possible , it's he Clovers Options on USB key ? 

What clover option do you use (if you use) ? The replacement of CLOVER folder by archive replace all options or not ? 

Thanks ! 

You're changing the EFI with the Post-Install files on your USB drive after the installation?

Can you format your harddrive and install osx? Did you try recreating your installation medium?

your writing is hard to understand, so it seems like you've a problem with english. its possible you missunderstood some steps from the tutorial. I can only advice you to try again from scratch and use google translate whenever you're not sure.

Hey wmchris, sorry for my bad english and thank's for your reply. I have recreated several times already my installation support with different clover options.

Did you try recreating your installation medium?

Is it important to select options in clover (when i create my installation support) if then you replace every files in the EFI/CLOVER folder with the archive files  ? (Some options can it change the other partition of the installation media or only the EFI partition ?)

Can you format your harddrive and install osx?

Yes, there is no problem to boot on clover the first time,  format the OSX partition , and do the install. But at the end , when the XPS reboot,  i don't have the new option which is highlighted by default.

No i don't change EFI files , because i have no options to boot after the install on OSX (Only the installation option to restart a the beginning ). 

Thank's. 

I change my usb key and it's ok i have the menu on reboot. But on reboot i have this message : "macOS could not be installed on your computer. Unable to unmount volume for repair. " . 

I keep ma windows partition like this tutorial : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mavericks-windows-8-on-same-drive-without-erasing.133940/. Do you know it is the problem ? 

thanks

Why are you trying to repair your drive?

You have to erase (which will wipe all of the data on your target drive so do a data backup), partition it as HFS+ with GPT portion table and then attempt the installation.

If you want to keep your windows instalation without wiping it you will have to create a new partition formated as HFS+ along side windows (make sure that drive with the windows is partitioned as GPT otherwise you'll encounter problems hard to resolve) and on this new partition you have to install MacOS.

The best will be if you tell us what it is your native language (Mine is Polish, so you can pm me, English is 3th and it's Meh) because at this point it is really hard to understand what exactly you're trying to achieve.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

it is capable, i'm running it on 4k.

Tbh: i trust nvme-cli more than the windows tools. ;-)

THNSN5512GPU7 NVMe TOSHIBA 512GB:

Capacity:	512,11 GB (512.110.190.592 Byte)
  TRIM-Support:	Yes
  Model:	THNSN5512GPU7 NVMe TOSHIBA 512GB
  Version:	57DA4103
$ diskutil info / | grep Block
   Device Block Size:        4096 Bytes
   Allocation Block Size:    4096 Bytes

however - did the windows tools with my already patched one and looks fine:

Hello wmchris.

I Have replace a new THNSN5512GPU7 XG3 SSD from Dell and i want to know how about your xg3?

Is it still in 4ksector without any error?

And what about the ePSA?

Thanks.

My XG3 broke down last week (burned) after using ePSA. It's a warranty replacement. May be a coincidence, but its possible that ePSA is the culprit. So i would suggest not using it anymore.

Sadly i got a Samsung drive from Dell (which is much slower than the original Toshiba drive) and they dont accept to deliver me another toshiba drive or anything comparable, because "the samsung drive is in working condition" and "it will work on windows, and we only support windows" as well as "you have to live with it". Also Samsung doesnt support 4Kn sectors, because switching to 4Kn on the Samsung drives is "a company secret" - they really answered with this phrase on my request.

And yes. the Samsung drives are the slowest in the 9550 series. up to 50-70% slower than the hynix, toshiba or lite-on.

See attached images i created with my other original (but only 256gb) toshiba disk vs the new samsung (btw: test is capped at 2000, it's > than 2400)

post-19619-0-18518500-1494336280_thumb.png

post-19619-0-39871300-1494336287_thumb.png

• Like 1