[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Here are the steps you need to follow:

copy the original AppleBacklight.kext from /System/Library/Extensions to the folder "vanilla" and run the script. This will create an Injector Kext for your monitor.

Have you tried to use the supplied intelbacklightinjector.kext from here -> https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/tree/master/10.12/Post-Install/LE-Kexts

It worked for me without need to creating my own kext using script.

Remember to rebuild cache & repair permissions after every time you installed/uninstalled a kexts.

Here are the steps you need to follow:

Have you tried to use the supplied intelbacklightinjector.kext from here -> https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/tree/master/10.12/Post-Install/LE-Kexts

It worked for me without need to creating my own kext using script.

Remember to rebuild cache & repair permissions after every time you installed/uninstalled a kexts.

The issue was that I had to copy the SSDT-PNFL and Config amls to CLOVER/ACPI/patched. Now everything is working. Thank you

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It does not work. I have deleted Intel backlight.kext. but now the slider in display has disappeared. I am running the script from the PatchAppleBacklight_v2. Then I install the patched AppleBacklightInjector from the patched folder then I also copied the SSTD-Config.aml to CLOVER/ACPI/patched.Am I missing a step

use only the injector, not the other generated file. you simply forgot SSDT-PNLF

• Like 1

Updated to 10.12.4 and I can no longer use my HDMI or adjust brightness in system preferences.

no support for questions asked multiple times in this thread with working solutions -_- read before asking.

If you've questions or something doesn't work: first check if you've done all steps of this tutorial! If yes: please read the whole thread (doesn't matter how long it is) before asking to prevent multiple questions. Additionally do a search in google and this forum.

That is already sorted out. Check first post/github repo for updates and also if someone have a problem that wasn't mentioned anywhere or its completely new it would be good if share some more details about it (especially if it's something new / recently discovered) e.g. Disabled Hdmi output is commonly known as problem which is mostly associated with 13.3 SMBIOS and solution for that is also at the github repo.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

A little update, I'm experiencing interferences between bluetooth and wifi.

When I use wifi, the RSSI of my magic mouse drops to -90dBm, while with wifi off (connected to it through my smartphone using USB tethering) it raises to a more acceptable -70dBm.

I have the broadcom chipped Dell 1830.

A little update, I'm experiencing interferences between bluetooth and wifi.

When I use wifi, the RSSI of my magic mouse drops to -90dBm, while with wifi off (connected to it through my smartphone using USB tethering) it raises to a more acceptable -70dBm.

I have the broadcom chipped Dell 1830.

bluetooth and wifi always interfere. i doubt this is different on windows :/

Thanks for keepit up your great service to the community :)

12.4 is runnig great here. The only thin I miss is the full and finer range of brightness steps from rehabman's Intelbacklight.kext, which is currently not compatible. The minimum brightness is too bright still.

Did some people switch to the 4k SSD layout and notice performance changes?

Alright I'm on disk utility but my internal isn't showing up. It's the 1tb HDD + 32gb ssd hybrid drive. Was there something I missed?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Alright I'm on disk utility but my internal isn't showing up. It's the 1tb HDD + 32gb ssd hybrid drive. Was there something I missed?

Sorry I just missed this "Don't forget to set mode to "AHCI" in the sub-menu "SATA Operation" of "System Configuration". It's mandatory."

Thanks for keepit up your great service to the community :)

12.4 is runnig great here. The only thin I miss is the full and finer range of brightness steps from rehabman's Intelbacklight.kext, which is currently not compatible. The minimum brightness is too bright still.

Did some people switch to the 4k SSD layout and notice performance changes?

no difference in performance, but it should be a tiny lil bit faster on benchmarks.

Yes. I am dual booting with Windows 10 previews

I'm referring to the Windows 10 recovery USB you can make with your service tag, with all the Dell software. When I tried to boot from it, it just gave me two options, To recover the laptop, or to shut down. I'm just worried it would get rid of clover or something like that. I can take a screenshot later

I'm referring to the Windows 10 recovery USB you can make with your service tag, with all the Dell software. When I tried to boot from it, it just gave me two options, To recover the laptop, or to shut down. I'm just worried it would get rid of clover or something like that. I can take a screenshot later

Unless you have partitioned your disk before, it will delete everything. I really think this thread is not the right place to ask for that. It is possible to have Sierra and then install everything else. I have had Sierra, windows, and Linux on this laptop before

Unless you have partitioned your disk before, it will delete everything. I really think this thread is not the right place to ask for that. It is possible to have Sierra and then install everything else. I have had Sierra, windows, and Linux on this laptop before

Noo I don't mean a full backup of my old system, it's just the Dell copy of Windows with all the Dell software

Noo I don't mean a full backup of my old system, it's just the Dell copy of Windows with all the Dell software

I don't know what you are trying to do. But if it just a copy boot it up . Nothing will happen if you don't install anything.

When you are installing OS X it is a lot easier to wipe your disk and format using the installer's Disk Utility. You can easily make 2 partitions to leave space for Windows, and you'll delete the 2nd partition later and recreate it when installing Windows again.

You can't use the Dell recovery software to dual boot because it will wipe the drive - you will need to download the ISO from Microsoft (free) and create a bootable USB (rufus). But... Microsoft activation is stored on Microsoft's servers for Windows 10. So you just click "I don't have a key number" during install, and Windows will automatically activate using your machine's hardware profile once you connect to the Internet. You don't have to worry about buying Windows separately.

Note: the new "Creators Update" is not compatible with "bootcamp" macs and I also had issues on my XPS 15. Use the "1607" version of Windows and then upgrade it once you are done. Also, once Windows is reinstalled, just go back into your bios and disable the Windows Boot Manager option in your Boot options to get back to normal.

I have an problem when I shutdown the Laptop after sleep it restarts. When I do an shutdown without sleep before then it is working and the laptop stays off. I also noticed when the laptop is going to sleep and it wakes again then I get an message that for example an USB Stick was not properly ejected and it didn't ger re-mounted.

When you are installing OS X it is a lot easier to wipe your disk and format using the installer's Disk Utility. You can easily make 2 partitions to leave space for Windows, and you'll delete the 2nd partition later and recreate it when installing Windows again.

You can't use the Dell recovery software to dual boot because it will wipe the drive - you will need to download the ISO from Microsoft (free) and create a bootable USB (rufus). But... Microsoft activation is stored on Microsoft's servers for Windows 10. So you just click "I don't have a key number" during install, and Windows will automatically activate using your machine's hardware profile once you connect to the Internet. You don't have to worry about buying Windows separately.

Note: the new "Creators Update" is not compatible with "bootcamp" macs and I also had issues on my XPS 15. Use the "1607" version of Windows and then upgrade it once you are done. Also, once Windows is reinstalled, just go back into your bios and disable the Windows Boot Manager option in your Boot options to get back to normal.

Alright, awesome. Thank you!

I'm sorry for these nooby questions... I'm just very frustrated and Google isn't getting me anywhere! After installing Windows on a different partition, I can't boot to Clover without the flash drive anymore. I tried disabling windows boot manager and legacy boot but those did not work. It just boots straight to Windows. I have to boot the USB drive to get to clover. I've tried installing clover on OS X as well without success. Is there anything else I can do?