[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

I've reinstalled my MacOS in order to find out what I've done wrong that had broken the HiDPI and 10-bit colour.

I had my previous setup working on 10.12.3, then upgrade to 10.12.4 again and was able to fix the couple of issues I had with the external display:

1. For fixing the missing 10-bit colour issue: I set it through SwitchResX app
  2. HiDPI is working through the same ig-platform-id hack I used before (changing it to Iris Graphics 540: 0x19260004)
    • Note: I haven't installed the fix for intelbacklight yet

At this point everything I had before is working using "MacBookPro13,1" on 10.12.4.

[Note: the following is for MacBookPro13,3 only]

For "MacBookPro13,3", if anyone needs to test it, I had to do some extra steps:

(1) First I had to make MacOS detect the external display. I've done it following the instructions to activate the external display for iMac17,1:

In the config file, I've added a new entry for the MacBookPro13,3 on "AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy / ConfigMap", e.g.:

<key>Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C</key>
<string>none</string>

"Mac-A5C67F76ED83108C" is the Board-ID I had set for the MacBookPro13,3

(2) After this change, the external display was detected but the internal display somehow wasn't working. To fix it, I've applied the CoreDisplay path from:

(The patch solves another issue, but it made the internal display work again in my case).

** The only thing I need to test now is the latest fix for intelbacklight on 10.12.4

** I'm using MacBookPro13,1 currently, as it detects the external display at boot time (using MacBookPro13,3 I'd have to login first, then turn on my monitor)

I just tried the new SSDTs for fixing the intelbacklight and in my case, it was the changes to SSDT-IGPU.aml that was blocking HiDPI resolutions on my external monitor.

Keeping the previous version of this file allows me to use all the HiDPI resolutions.

I think the fix applied to this file makes sense, but I guess I'll have to keep the old one for now:

// Skylake/HD530
              //REVIEW: add more ids..., just guessing on the ID
 -            0x1912, 0, Package()
 +            0x191b, 0, Package()
              {
                  "AAPL,ig-platform-id", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x16, 0x19 },
                  "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },

As the diff shows, the ID 0x1912 (0x19120000 - HD Graphics 530 - Desktop GT2) was replaced by: 0x191b (0x191b0000 - HD Graphics 530 - Halo GT2).

Even keeping this file back, I still got the fix for the intelbacklight, so it seems that I didn't loose anything.

I just tried the new SSDTs for fixing the intelbacklight and in my case, it was the changes to SSDT-IGPU.aml that was blocking HiDPI resolutions on my external monitor.

Keeping the previous version of this file allows me to use all the HiDPI resolutions.

I think the fix applied to this file makes sense, but I guess I'll have to keep the old one for now:

// Skylake/HD530
              //REVIEW: add more ids..., just guessing on the ID
 -            0x1912, 0, Package()
 +            0x191b, 0, Package()
              {
                  "AAPL,ig-platform-id", Buffer() { 0x00, 0x00, 0x16, 0x19 },
                  "hda-gfx", Buffer() { "onboard-1" },

As the diff shows, the ID 0x1912 (0x19120000 - HD Graphics 530 - Desktop GT2) was replaced by: 0x191b (0x191b0000 - HD Graphics 530 - Halo GT2).

Even keeping this file back, I still got the fix for the intelbacklight, so it seems that I didn't loose anything.

strange, i'll revert that.

strange, i'll revert that.

Hi wmchris,

I think your change is correct, I don't know exactly what it does, but the original ig-platform-id in your config.plist is "0x191b0000", which matches the new change.

My setup is using a different platform-id (0x19260004), which probably is only useful for a few people, I guess.

Thanks!

New bios from dell 1.2.21:

XPS 15 9550 1.2.21 BIOS
Fixes & Enhancements
Fix:
1. SUT will show incorrect massage after run DG_Readinesstool_v2.0.ps1 on Enterprise OS
2. Clear TPM Option greyed out in BIOS
3. Enable Attempt Legacy Boot" cannot be enabled in BIOS
4. USB LAN and Audio of IE dock still working after disable Dell Docks and Ext. USB

Hi.

CoreDisplayFixup is now open source! After various tests and now it's time to make its first debut!  ^_^

=======

BTW. As for the annoying AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy, you may try NvidiaGraphicsFixup, or just this KextToPatch (do the same thing as it):

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal (c) lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696
Find: BA05000000
Replace: BA00000000
Edited by PMheart
  • Like 6

Tutorial Update: NVMe corruption fix

After 2 weeks of usage i'm pretty sure the 4k sector patch fixes the NVMe corruption. I've used my dell with enabled darkwake and sleep 3 and everything works fine. So i changed the tutorial and added a tiny tutorial how to switch to 4k sector mode. Of course this does not work with every SSD - especially not with many Samsung models.

https://github.com/wmchris/DellXPS15-9550-OSX/blob/master/4k_sector.md

Be aware: this will delete all your data!

I left the pmset hibernatemode mention in the tutorial, just to make sure. I also suggest using hibernatemode 0 either way, because the other hibernatemodes are not working at the moment.

Hello,my Toshiba XG3 was broken by change this to 4096 sector and now it was disappeared on my xps and i have called the dell to replace the ssd.

So sad with this.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

Hello,my Toshiba XG3 was broken by change this to 4096 sector and now it was disappeared on my xps and i have called the dell to replace the ssd.

So sad with this.

Are you sure that you did everything right, so we can definitely confirm that the thoshiba drives aren't compatible with 4k sector size?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58e12aaba2f44/20170402_173905.jpg?

I can confirm that Samsung 951 & 960 don't support 4k sector size. That's disappointing because I thought that every disk manufacturered after 2011 should support 512 and 4k.

Ps. For everyone that is interested in buying Dell USB dock 15 I can tell that it is fully working with real macbook pro and hacked dell xps 9530 & 9560 but still wasn't able to recover full functionality on 9550...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you sure that you did everything right, so we can definitely confirm that the thoshiba drives aren't compatible with 4k sector size?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58e12aaba2f44/20170402_173905.jpg?

Yes i did everything right.

First when it does it show 4096 success and in pe it also show 4096 sector.

But then i try to install macOS from pe and clover in pe but the xps cant boot into clover and always boot into ePSA so i guess maybe the boot order problem.so i go to bios to add the CloverX64.efi to boot order.Then i reboot the xps but also boot into ePSA.

Then i found when i power on the xps, the screen stuck on DELL logo and when i press F12 or F2 it show yellow words on right corner but cant into boot selection or bios setup.so i called the dell and it suggest me pull off my ssd and i found it ok after that.but when i installed the ssd again and it doesnt stuck on DELL logo but have a longer time in DELL logo and have no nvme devices in Windows MacOS or Ubuntu.my xg3 was totally disappeared.

I try to restore bios from u-disk or reset nvram from u-disk but these way cant solve this.so i can sure it was blocken my toshiba xg3.

Yes i did everything right.

First when it does it show 4096 success and in pe it also show 4096 sector.

But then i try to install macOS from pe and clover in pe but the xps cant boot into clover and always boot into ePSA so i guess maybe the boot order problem.so i go to bios to add the CloverX64.efi to boot order.Then i reboot the xps but also boot into ePSA.

Then i found when i power on the xps, the screen stuck on DELL logo and when i press F12 or F2 it show yellow words on right corner but cant into boot selection or bios setup.so i called the dell and it suggest me pull off my ssd and i found it ok after that.but when i installed the ssd again and it doesnt stuck on DELL logo but have a longer time in DELL logo and have no nvme devices in Windows MacOS or Ubuntu.my xg3 was totally disappeared.

I try to restore bios from u-disk or reset nvram from u-disk but these way cant solve this.so i can sure it was blocken my toshiba xg3.

Check your sata mode. If you restored bios to default config it may reset the configuration back to sata-raid (default on my xps) instead of sata-ahci if it changed this value you won't be able to boot-up windows and/or macos. I never encountered that the ssd wasn't visible at the bios, but still this may be worth a shot.

I know that on some motherboard (1xx & 2xx chipsets) if you have plugged in too many sata drives and m.2 nvme drive then motherboard shut the sata drives due to the problem with insufficient pci-e lines available, but that's not the case with your xps unless you have expanded your drive with additional sata drivers. 

edit. Also you can run the build-in dell diagnostic tools and check if it detect your drive.

Check your sata mode. If you restored bios to default config it may reset the configuration back to sata-raid (default on my xps) instead of sata-ahci if it changed this value you won't be able to boot-up windows and/or macos. I never encountered that the ssd wasn't visible at the bios, but still this may be worth a shot.

I know that on some motherboard (1xx & 2xx chipsets) if you have plugged in too many sata drives and m.2 nvme drive then motherboard shut the sata drives due to the problem with insufficient pci-e lines available, but that's not the case with your xps unless you have expanded your drive with additional sata drivers.

First i only have one nvme ssd no sata devices

Second this method change block to 4096 may lost all my date.

Now only bios show i have nvme ssd and have ssd series number on it , both ePSA ubuntu win mac cant detect any pcie or nvme devices so i cant change block size to 512 and the ssd was blocken.

@Deniryer5c0243ccc075ce6e25e7f5af4e5f6430.jpg

9ccba07db11d506a25a4c1199de0b863.jpg

Here are my ssd and then i changed to 4096 successfull and with no error.

b2706bc1b869c110e390f89854e62d37.jpg

Then it stuck on DELL logo and cant into boot order section and bios setup.

bfc87b3fa2396f0d7b54ac9e1d9de40e.jpg

The ePSA show no hdd-drive found.

889855c28dbd8df025bbb1d1e013671d.jpg

I have tried to update bios or reset nvram but with no use.

fc71e1bb6a1f09f3fb87e7ed2c40aff0.jpg

bf05be26b61d961dd707be940b788f7e.jpg

Now it sometimes show my nvme series numer in here sometime show none so i can be sure the ssd was broken.

1a75b1daed2715ac16505c09dd6ccd6a.jpg

b04ed7e9d2c27ae5d11795be796b7a41.jpg

And now it cant be detected by anyway and it disappeared anyway.

So sad about it and i have a urged paper to finished but the xps broken make me sad and my paper cant be done with this broken laptop.

• Like 1

First i only have one nvme ssd no sata devices

Second this method change block to 4096 may lost all my date.

Now only bios show i have nvme ssd and have ssd series number on it , both ePSA ubuntu win mac cant detect any pcie or nvme devices so i cant change block size to 512 and the ssd was blocken.

Last advice. If I recall correctly i wasn't able to install or run Ubuntu (lower than 16.04) and Win 10 without Intel rapid storage driver on the pendrive with installer because it could not detect my ssd (back then Samsung pm951) plus I had to change the sata-mode as I mentioned to ahci mode. Also if you some how could run the Windows from external hdd/sdd you could check if your ssd is detected by disk manager as raw partition then maybe you could reinstall the toshiba's firmware from dell's website.

It still may be irreverent if your ssd is in fact corrupted, then you can only replace it.

Last advice. If I recall correctly i wasn't able to install or run Ubuntu (lower than 16.04) and Win 10 without Intel rapid storage driver on the pendrive with installer because it could not detect my ssd (back then Samsung pm951) plus I had to change the sata-mode as I mentioned to ahci mode. Also if you some how could run the Windows from external hdd/sdd you could check if your ssd is detected by disk manager as raw partition then maybe you could reinstall the toshiba's firmware from dell's website.

It still may be irreverent if your ssd is in fact corrupted, then you can only replace it.

no any nvme devices canbe found in windows or ubuntu so it have no chance to update fimware.

I call the dell to replace the ssd but i dont know what ssd thy give.i dont want any samsung or any tlc ssd otherwise i will refuse to repalce until the ssd with my satisfaction.

I still dont know how can make this!

it looks very much like your SSD is corrupted, but i'm pretty sure it's not because of the 4k sector. it looks more like your SSD controller (not the SSD itself) was defective from the beginning and it got revealed after the low level format. it's impossible to break a SSD controller by low level formatting. normally this is a function to recover a failed drive ;-)

the toshiba are designed for 4k mode, the 512b one is the "compatible" old downgraded mode. Good news: even when you tell them it happened after switching to 4k: this is normal usage and this should be a warranty problem.

EDIT:

Dell published a firmware patch for Toshiba SSDs a while ago to prevent "disappearing SSD after a dirty restart". Did you install this? did you just power down from within ubuntu after you finished the 4k patch or did you shut it down normally?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/en/en/debsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=2N42W

this sound very much like your problem, but sadly there is no solution to it AFTER this happened, only before. I can only suggest unplugging the system, unplugging the battery, wait for 2 hours, try again. if it didn't work: repeat. But if it's really a bug in the SSD firmware i dont see big chances to revive it this way.

Edited by wmchris
  • Like 2

EDIT:

Dell published a firmware patch for Toshiba SSDs a while ago to prevent "disappearing SSD after a dirty restart". Did you install this? did you just power down from within ubuntu after you finished the 4k patch or did you shut it down normally?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/en/en/debsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=2N42W

Thanks for your reply.

Yes i flashed this firmware a weeks ago.

I changed the 4k sector and shutdown the ubuntu in normal way but when i cant boot into clover and always boot into ePSA i shut down the xps long press power button,but i used to do this and never found any problem.

The other problem is when i installed OCZ SSD mangerm on my windows it showed my my ssd has high changce to lose mu date but doesnt tell me way so i doesnt take care to it.

Now the ssd can be found in bios sometimes but cant be detected in anyother system or ePSA.

PS:When i cold power on xps i can see my ssd series number in bios.but when i open ePSA it show me no hdd-drive found and when i reboot into bios it shows none nvme drive until next cold power on.

I guess it maybe the firmware problem and not sure it is related to 4k sector because it have no problem half of years.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes i flashed this firmware a weeks ago.

I changed the 4k sector and shutdown the ubuntu in normal way but when i cant boot into clover and always boot into ePSA i shut down the xps long press power button,but i used to do this and never found any problem.

The other problem is when i installed OCZ SSD mangerm on my windows it showed my my ssd has high changce to lose mu date but doesnt tell me way so i doesnt take care to it.

Now the ssd can be found in bios sometimes but cant be detected in anyother system or ePSA.

PS:When i cold power on xps i can see my ssd series number in bios.but when i open ePSA it show me no hdd-drive found and when i reboot into bios it shows none nvme drive until next cold power on.

I guess it maybe the firmware problem and not sure it is related to 4k sector because it have no problem half of years.

the ssd manager told you your ssd is likely to lose your data (if lose mu date is correctly interpreted ;)) without any reason why? thats strange. just send the SSD to dell, get a replacement and everything should be fine. you have a high chance to receive either a toshba or a hynix.

• Like 2

Hi.

CoreDisplayFixup is now open source! After various tests and now it's time to make its first debut!  ^_^

=======

BTW. As for the annoying AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy, you may try NvidiaGraphicsFixup, or just this KextToPatch (do the same thing as it):

[EDIT]: The patch was updated - attach the ret status to 0 for security.

Name: com.apple.driver.AppleGraphicsDevicePolicy
Comment: Disable board-id check to prevent no signal (c) lvs1974, Pike R. Alpha, vit9696, modifications by PMheart
Find: BA05000000
Replace: 33D2909090
MatchOS: 10.9.3,10.9.4,10.9.5,10.10.x,10.11.x,10.12.x

@PMheart.hi..your patch for Disable board-id check to prevent no signal has no success for desktop. i just tested it....is it for laptop?

the ssd manager told you your ssd is likely to lose your data (if lose mu date is correctly interpreted ;)) without any reason why? thats strange. just send the SSD to dell, get a replacement and everything should be fine. you have a high chance to receive either a toshba or a hynix.

Thshiba or hynix i will accept but if samsung or some tlc ssd i will refuse.

4K Sector on Toshiba XG3 512G

still looks like a controller problem, not from the 4k format. Especially because the device is not supplying the information from the self test anymore. Maybe there is a bug in some toshiba firmwares? I have 2 toshibas here and both work fine in 4k.

EDIT: syscl mentioned you were abe to revert to 512b and gained full function again? if yes: can you please PM me all details you've got of your device so we can identify whats different between yours and mine? Maybe this is a production problem. Also would you mind publishing your steps for undoing the 4k format in the non recognizable state of the drive?

EDIT2: ePSA (the testing utility of dell) is not 4k compatible. Dell did a horribly job here. ^^ so it will never ever give a positive result, albeit the drive is working flawless.

Edited by wmchris
  • Like 1

still looks like a controller problem, not from the 4k format. Especially because the device is not supplying the information from the self test anymore. Maybe there is a bug in some toshiba firmwares? I have 2 toshibas here and both work fine in 4k.

EDIT: syscl mentioned you were abe to revert to 512b and gained full function again? if yes: can you please PM me all details you've got of your device so we can identify whats different between yours and mine? Maybe this is a production problem. Also would you mind publishing your steps for undoing the 4k format in the non recognizable state of the drive?

Not me,my friend xps13 has hynix ssd also have same problem when chang to 4K sector.

I think it maybe dell bios bug when i chang to 512 it can be passed in ePSA with no problem.

Not me,my friend xps13 has hynix ssd also have same problem when chang to 4K sector.

I think it maybe dell bios bug when i chang to 512 it can be passed in ePSA with no problem.

which EFI version are you using? is it possible CN uses different version than the rest of the world?

which EFI version are you using? is it possible CN uses different version than the rest of the world?

No it is the same bios and i am sure the bios cant support 4k sector perfectly.Not only toshiba but also hynix not only xps15 but also xps13 have same problem when changed to 4k sector.such as stuck on DELL logo or power on the xps but cant detect any harddrive but when change to 512 it will be fine and can pass the ePSA.

No it is the same bios and i am sure the bios cant support 4k sector perfectly.Not only toshiba but also hynix not only xps15 but also xps13 have same problem when changed to 4k sector.such as stuck on DELL logo or power on the xps but cant detect any harddrive but when change to 512 it will be fine and can pass the ePSA.

Could you check that your ssd is 4k compatible under Windows 10 running powershell command - fsutil fsinfo sectorInfo x: - I found the nvme-cli buggy. It doesn't show that my ocz ssd can be reformatted to 4k when Windows 10 show the opposite result.

9636671409635ff783df9f7d5d73222b.jpg

Disk F is fully 4k compatible (OCZ vector 460) and C can be formated only as 512 (Samsung 960 Evo)

I can assure you that Dell bios is capable of running disks formated as 4k as well as 512.

Maybe you and wmchris have same ssd but manufactured in different time.

Kingston once in one of their ssd series after they realised the first part of their disk they changed the controller in the second wave without telling anyone until some users found this out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1