[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, alex.daoud said:

Just a followup on this issue. Turns out I was running a really old BIOS with known battery status issues. I upgraded to the latest BIOS and had some issues with the "could not allocate resources" issue but adding in "FixAlloc.efi" worked a treat! My battery now charges properly.

Glad you sorted it. In terms if stability with the 10.14.1 version my laptop has gotten much more stable with AptioMemoryFix. Seems to be far more reliable for me now. However this could also be due to me updating to clover 4722 and updating kexts. A tip for everyone if you want to make your life easier updating kexts use this https://bitbucket.org/profdrluigi/kextupdater/downloads/. Has anybody had an issue where the backlight flickers before it goes to sleep with the new update? Additionally if you want to avoid boot up errors with AptioMemoryFix remember to unplug you earphones from the computer before shutting down. Shutting down with them plugged in then unplugging them and turning on the computer again with them unplugged causes it to fail booting. A hard power off and power on fixes that for me. This Hackintosh is so close to being perfect for me. Just the trackpad scaling issues with the inability to right click, Fans spinning when seemingly idle and some minor quirks like HDCP problems in iTunes + QuickTime and flickering before sleep. Thanks again for the guide wmchris. 

3 hours ago, reece394 said:

Glad you sorted it. In terms if stability with the 10.14.1 version my laptop has gotten much more stable with AptioMemoryFix. Seems to be far more reliable for me now. However this could also be due to me updating to clover 4722 and updating kexts. A tip for everyone if you want to make your life easier updating kexts use this https://bitbucket.org/profdrluigi/kextupdater/downloads/. Has anybody had an issue where the backlight flickers before it goes to sleep with the new update? Additionally if you want to avoid boot up errors with AptioMemoryFix remember to unplug you earphones from the computer before shutting down. Shutting down with them plugged in then unplugging them and turning on the computer again with them unplugged causes it to fail booting. A hard power off and power on fixes that for me. This Hackintosh is so close to being perfect for me. Just the trackpad scaling issues with the inability to right click, Fans spinning when seemingly idle and some minor quirks like HDCP problems in iTunes + QuickTime and flickering before sleep. Thanks again for the guide wmchris. 

I have the backlight issue on AC only, doesn't appear to happen on battery.

With regards to scaling on VoodooI2C this is actually an unfortunate consequence of a longterm mistake made in the HID protocol back when it was first released. Certain scaling parameters were wrongly defined in the protocol and as a result many device manufacturers (even today) implement the scaling parameter wrongly. Hence the code in VoodooI2C that parses this scaling parameter works for some laptops and doesn't work for others. I haven't been able to find a reliable solution which detects when scaling is wrongly implemented. The scaling is actually not too bad on the XPS 15 itself but the reason we don't have right click yet is because implementing it in VoodooI2C would break left clicks on laptops that have broken scaling. If I don't figure out a solution soon I might create a separate dev branch which contains a right click implementation for people that are able to fiddle about with scaling values themselves.

3 hours ago, alex.daoud said:

I have the backlight issue on AC only, doesn't appear to happen on battery.

With regards to scaling on VoodooI2C this is actually an unfortunate consequence of a longterm mistake made in the HID protocol back when it was first released. Certain scaling parameters were wrongly defined in the protocol and as a result many device manufacturers (even today) implement the scaling parameter wrongly. Hence the code in VoodooI2C that parses this scaling parameter works for some laptops and doesn't work for others. I haven't been able to find a reliable solution which detects when scaling is wrongly implemented. The scaling is actually not too bad on the XPS 15 itself but the reason we don't have right click yet is because implementing it in VoodooI2C would break left clicks on laptops that have broken scaling. If I don't figure out a solution soon I might create a separate dev branch which contains a right click implementation for people that are able to fiddle about with scaling values themselves.

That would be awesome even as a temporary solution as at least then the trackpad would work properly until you find a solution for all laptops. But thanks for the explanation it is definitely interesting. 

2 hours ago, wmchris said:

may someone explain to me, why the right click should be considered as non working? It works fine for me with taps and physical clicks...

Well on my laptop with the same configuration as your github beyond updates to clover and kexts + cosmetic tweaks (Larger Boot Logo) it doesn't work for either. I have to use control click ATM. However one thing I am not doing is installing VoodooPS2Daemon (since it was depreciated) or VoodooPS2Controller to S/L/E if maybe that has something to do with it. I even read a guide on tonymacx86 for the 9560 which uses a similar trackpad and people are saying right click works even if erratically so maybe I did something wrong. Two finger scrolling is fine single click anywhere is fine even the other gestures no problem beyond two finger zooming.  

2 hours ago, wmchris said:

may someone explain to me, why the right click should be considered as non working? It works fine for me with taps and physical clicks...

They mean that "hardware" right click doesn't work - pressing in the bottom right of the trackpad (when the option is enabled in syspref) should give a right click.

11 minutes ago, alex.daoud said:

They mean that "hardware" right click doesn't work - pressing in the bottom right of the trackpad (when the option is enabled in syspref) should give a right click.

Hmm even in Trackpad - Secondary Click when I set it to click in bottom right corner it doesn't work for me either so haven't got a clue why it isn't. Otherwise works awesome thanks again for your awesome work alex.daoud it is greatly appreciated!

26 minutes ago, reece394 said:

Hmm even in Trackpad - Secondary Click when I set it to click in bottom right corner it doesn't work for me either so haven't got a clue why it isn't. Otherwise works awesome thanks again for your awesome work alex.daoud it is greatly appreciated!

That's what I mean. I should work but it doesn't at the moment.

I want to report that yesterday I successfully installed macOS 10.14.1 from 10.14 GIT. I performed a clean install, using CLOVER 4741. I want to confirm that you can use this branch, I managed to boot into the system without any issue. After that I updated almost all the kexts (except nullethernet) and everything working as expected. 

On 11/6/2018 at 11:16 AM, wmchris said:

hynix is incompatible with 4k, but is installable with the supplied patches. Still your error has nothing to do with the SSD, your memory is fragmented. If you cant get it to work with the supplied files and tutorials, chances are slim to impossible to get it in a running state. Try calculating the slide value, if this doesnt work either then OSX is not suitable for your device.

actually it can be converted to 4K, I was able to do that (lost my windows partition because didn't realise the pre-4K image could not be restored on the reformatted disk).

On 11/12/2018 at 12:53 AM, Mr.C said:

I want to report that yesterday I successfully installed macOS 10.14.1 from 10.14 GIT. I performed a clean install, using CLOVER 4741. I want to confirm that you can use this branch, I managed to boot into the system without any issue. After that I updated almost all the kexts (except nullethernet) and everything working as expected. 

hey, how's the trackpad working for you?

I just did a fresh install as well (10.14)  and my multi touch other than scrolling no longer work.

I am unable to get Pinch-to-zoom working AND I no longer see an option to enable 'three finger drag' in accessibility Trackpad options (both were working on 10.13)

(I have disabled all other three finger gestures in the Trackpad settings)

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 10.24.20 pm.png

Edited by nabeelmoeen

8 hours ago, nabeelmoeen said:

I just did a fresh install as well (10.14)  and my multi touch other than scrolling no longer work.

I am unable to get Pinch-to-zoom working AND I no longer see an option to enable 'three finger drag' in accessibility Trackpad options (both were working on 10.13)

I have no problem at all. It is like a real trackpad, every gestures work without issue (even pinch-to-zoom).

Never used 3 finger drag

10 hours ago, nabeelmoeen said:

(I have disabled all other three finger gestures in the Trackpad settings)

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 10.24.20 pm.png

Make sure you install AppleBacklightInjector.kext into Library/Extensions. Maybe that will fix it. I had that issue and that fixed it.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, reece394 said:

Make sure you install AppleBacklightInjector.kext into Library/Extensions. Maybe that will fix it. I had that issue and that fixed it.

OMG.. THANK YOU !!!.. that fixed it!!

just out of curiosity, I tried to search through the installation guide and known problems, but didn't find this mentioned. Can you share where this issue was referenced?

1 hour ago, nabeelmoeen said:

OMG.. THANK YOU !!!.. that fixed it!!

just out of curiosity, I tried to search through the installation guide and known problems, but didn't find this mentioned. Can you share where this issue was referenced?

Literally in Tutorial_10.14.md Post install section:

Open a terminal and goto the GIT folder.

sudo cp -r ./10.14/Post-Install/LE-Kexts/* /Library/Extensions/  
sudo ./10.14/Post-Install/Additional\ Steps/VoodooPS2Daemon/_install.command

Edited by Mr.C
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/29/2018 at 3:34 AM, zichenkkkk said:

I used the above for my Precision 5510.  Headphone audio is distorted.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix?  Also  Bluetooth is installed but not working.  

Thanks!

chris

7 hours ago, chrisgazpacho said:

I used the above for my Precision 5510.  Headphone audio is distorted.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix?  Also  Bluetooth is installed but not working.   

Thanks

chris

use the corresponding repository to this thread and follow the tutorial, then audio and bt will work. xxxzc repo is considered unstable by himself, while soulomoons repo is based on an old version of mine.

Edited by wmchris

4 hours ago, wmchris said:

use the corresponding repository to this thread and follow the tutorial, then audio and bt will work. xxxzc repo is considered unstable by himself, while soulomoons repo is based on an old version of mine.

Thanks for the fast response!  New to all of this so learning more and more everyday.  My build is based off of soulomoons repository.  

I downloaded 10.14 of the repository.  I tried to use the audio folder and follow the VerbStub install but I'm still getting the same issues with the headphone jack.  Here's what I'm getting when running the install.sh

Thanks!!

Chris

Terminal Saved Output

Edited by chrisgazpacho

On 11/20/2018 at 12:51 PM, dcarozza6 said:

If I already partitioned my drive for just MacOS and got that up and running, can I simply create a new partition to install Windows 10 on, or do I need to create those partitions before MacOS is installed?

* BACKUP YOUR EFI FOLDER FIRST! * BACKUP YOUR EFI FOLDER FIRST! * Cannot stress this enough..

It's best to use disk utility in the OSX installer FIRST THING upon initializing a disk. This allows you to format half as apple filesystem (APFS or HFS) and leave the other half of the disk in a non-allocated state. It can still be done though...

You need to add a PARTITION to the drive. Not volume, container, or otherwise. Use Disk Utility in OSX, select the drive, click partition and the + to add one. Select FAT for the file system and size as desired. Next boot into windows installer through clover and use the microsoft installer/disk management within to select the new FAT partition which will then be formatted again, in NTFS. Proceed with the installation as normal.

When you install windows, it will create a microsoft recovery partition, an EFI partition, a windows partition, and something else. WINDOWS WILL OVERWRITE YOUR EXISTING EFI PARTITION!!!! After installation completes, you'll need to use your USB/Clover/OSX USB to boot directly into clover, then OSX, and once again reinstall clover. After it's been reinstalled as prescribed, replace the entire clover folder in the ESP/EFI with YOUR BACKUP from before!

Good luck.

Edited by kennylauer

On 11/19/2018 at 6:35 PM, chrisgazpacho said:

Thanks for the fast response!  New to all of this so learning more and more everyday.  My build is based off of soulomoons repository.  

I downloaded 10.14 of the repository.  I tried to use the audio folder and follow the VerbStub install but I'm still getting the same issues with the headphone jack.  Here's what I'm getting when running the install.sh

Thanks!!

Chris

Terminal Saved Output

Wmchris -

Ok, I tried following the Audio post install folder of this repository along with my initial build base off of soulmoons repository and now I don't have any audio at all.  Should I start from scratch with your repository?  I'd rather not if possible but my main purpose of this machine is mixing audio and without headphones I can't work.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

On 11/24/2018 at 10:20 PM, chrisgazpacho said:

Wmchris -

Ok, I tried following the Audio post install folder of this repository along with my initial build base off of soulmoons repository and now I don't have any audio at all.  Should I start from scratch with your repository?  I'd rather not if possible but my main purpose of this machine is mixing audio and without headphones I can't work.  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

tbh i dont use the audio out on my machine, but as far as i know the output works without any flaw with verbstub. I changed the config of the audio system a while ago to make it possible to choose between multiple fixes, so the individual fixes will not work on repositories based on my old setup.

Obviously this thread is only for this repository, if you need help with another repo, please ask in the corresponding thread / bugtracker / github / whatever. Also if you're dependent on your machine for work purpose, you should consider buying a legit mac. This setup will break, and murphys law will make sure to catch you at the worst time possible.

Edited by wmchris

Hello everyone, I just installed 10.14.1 at my 1920x1080 9550 with BIOS 1.9

Thanks wmchrisMost features works fine, but there's a little bug with Caps Lock.

"Use the Caps Lock key to switch to and from ABC" is Mac's default setting. It means short press switches input method, long press enables Caps Lock mode.

1375383136_2018-12-0212_14_53.png.9aac7959d50caf3a9f4ecd5530a4b231.png

But now the Caps Lock key can't change input method, it just work like normal "Caps Lock" with or without that checkbox enabled.

The only different is: when I press it twice rapidly, the input method will change, and switch back to ABC immediately. You will not notice this happen unless staring at the input method icon in the top status bar. 

I used Mac some years, and like the feature very much, even using an AutoHotkey script to simulate it at windows. 

Is it really a bug, or just some config I missed? Please help me.

On 12/2/2018 at 6:05 AM, ganoatri said:

Hello everyone, I just installed 10.14.1 at my 1920x1080 9550 with BIOS 1.9

Thanks wmchrisMost features works fine, but there's a little bug with Caps Lock.

"Use the Caps Lock key to switch to and from ABC" is Mac's default setting. It means short press switches input method, long press enables Caps Lock mode.

Is it really a bug, or just some config I missed? Please help me.

to be honest, i didnt know this feature at all. It is not impossible to be a bug, but as the key is interpreted correctly, i think it is a misconfiguration on your machine. Maybe you should ask other hackintosh (doesnt matter which laptop as long as they use voodooPS2Controller) if the same behaviour occurs.