[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, phaberest said:

It was an upgrade, but the only kexts I have in S/L/E are the ones of VoodooPS2Controller and the audio (backup and modified - about that it was weird to see that I didn't have to patch it again, audio worked OTB)

I leave you here the list of kexts, can you spot something I may have missed

audio is patched in a new way, so this could indeed interfere. but you didnt supply any debug information - just "the repo is not working". Please try a clean reinstall with the files from the repository - if this boots, then you can import your time machine backup (and hope it will not recover the reason why it didnt work in the first place)

Oh and make sure you use the MBP13,3 SMBIOS.

Edited by wmchris
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, wmchris said:

only a bios update ;-). The .25 update was the main reason why we had this issue at first. before that noone needed any slide calculations to run OSX.

if it works, it works. but you can have problems with nvram and sometimes crashes on boot - but so far noone opened an issue when its running.

I was reading into that and I am glad for the most part we don't need slide values anymore. I am on BIOS 1.8.0 and it works good for me for the most part although sometimes when powering on it might take a while/ sometimes bluetooth fails to load or keyboard fails to load. Shutting down and booting into it again fixes it for me anyway. An odd quirk. 

6 hours ago, wmchris said:

Please try a clean reinstall with the files from the repository - if this boots, then you can import your time machine backup (and hope it will not recover the reason why it didnt work in the first place)

Thanks Chris, I'll go for a clean install this weekend and let you know!

I too am having a problem with the newer 10.14 Github package, my upgraded 10.14 install works with the older one though. It looks like I'm getting a panic but I've no idea how to debug this, does anybody have any ideas what might be the cause?

IMG_20181004_213615.jpg

20 minutes ago, Rajveer86 said:

I too am having a problem with the newer 10.14 Github package, my upgraded 10.14 install works with the older one though. It looks like I'm getting a panic but I've no idea how to debug this, does anybody have any ideas what might be the cause?

see one line above the kernel panic - lilu is unable to apply the patch to the x86PlatformPlugin. Is it possible you have an old lilu.kext running?

32 minutes ago, Rajveer86 said:

It looks like I'm getting a panic but I've no idea how to debug this, does anybody have any ideas what might be the cause? 

It is exactly the same issue I am having when I try to boot from the new CLOVER folder.

I'm afraid there might be a problem with direct updates from 10.13, I'm going to a clean reinstall.

11 minutes ago, phaberest said:

It is exactly the same issue I am having when I try to boot from the new CLOVER folder.

I'm afraid there might be a problem with direct updates from 10.13, I'm going to a clean reinstall.

would be strange, i did the normal upgrade path on all machines. Please try to debug it, so we can fix it.

Just to make sure: you were able to boot into the installer, but you're not able to boot in the installed os?

EDIT:

@phaberest why do you still have the X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext in your /L/E?

Edited by wmchris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wmchris said:

see one line above the kernel panic - lilu is unable to apply the patch to the x86PlatformPlugin. Is it possible you have an old lilu.kext running?

I've had a recent one for a while now - before I upgraded to 10.14 I manually updated a number of kexts (specifically the ones from this post) so I had a newer version than from the 10.13 Github package, then I installed 10.14 and everything worked well. I'm currently trying to boot with the new 10.14 Github package which has an even newer Lilu.kext, the only thing that's different is my config.plist has a few custom Clover settings (my own slide, default volume and my own SMBIOS settings).

EDIT:

1 hour ago, wmchris said:

EDIT:

@phaberest why do you still have the X86PlatformPluginInjector.kext in your /L/E?

Oh wait, I also have it there, should I remove it?

EDIT 2:

Ok I removed it and it boots up now with the new package, brilliant! Thank you so much! I totally can't remember how that kext got there though, but you've saved me a lot of effort!

Just for my own curiosity and learning, why did we have to remove it? It looks like it injects unknown CPU information in to MacOS or something, so is 10.14 compatible with our CPUs by default?

Edited by Rajveer86
  • Like 1

The kext was from 10.13. it got replaced with another kext, which is not mandatory, too. 10.14 should be compatible with the cpu but some reported to have better battery life with the kext and they don’t do any harm... unless you try to patch the same file twice.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:05 PM, alex.daoud said:

I've updated VoodooI2C to v2.1.2. This includes support for Mojave, fixes the hidd CPU usage issue people here reported, and also improves click detection.

First time messing with VoodooI2C. I've tried educating myself as much I can but a quick question, if I may. Did you have to mess around with DSDT and patch it, or did you install through the two lines of code inside the terminal? I had a look with the use of IORegistryExplorer and everything seems to be there, but the annoying problem of clicks not registering at times is still there... So I am trying to figure out if the patch is working and it's just not making much of a difference or have I stuffed something up...

1 hour ago, NikoEl said:

First time messing with VoodooI2C. I've tried educating myself as much I can but a quick question, if I may. Did you have to mess around with DSDT and patch it, or did you install through the two lines of code inside the terminal? I had a look with the use of IORegistryExplorer and everything seems to be there, but the annoying problem of clicks not registering at times is still there... So I am trying to figure out if the patch is working and it's just not making much of a difference or have I stuffed something up...

Are you sure you're using v2.1.4 ? The clicking issue was fixed in that one. Patching shouldn't affect that.

7 hours ago, hackedWifi said:

Actually right click is not working with Mojave on my xps 9550. I am using the rehabMan Voodo.kext. Anyone else having this issue. Right click works fine with a bluetooth mouse, but not with the trackpad

https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C/issues/105#issuecomment-424909888

Sleep issues should be fixed in v2.1.4 . Right click with right corner and two fingers is broken for the moment due to scaling - same reason notification centre gesture is broken. A fix for this will come in a future release when we figure out the scaling issues.

Yeah it sucks that right click and 2 finger gestures are broken as otherwise the trackpad driver is flawless. I am still amazed how well it works.

After a few days on Mojave I can say that the CPU is rarely gets hotter than 45° C, that's amazing!

One weird thing is that on my first try to run 10.14 from the update, the time I had the kext interfering that was causing me issues and I ended up reinstalling, my monitors were working fine over USB (displaylink), now they're working with the workaround they found against an issue that is affecting the new macbook pro.

Can it be related to the DisplayFixUp?

I would wait for the release of the fix(displaylink is working on it), but I'm also curious 'cause this could be a fix for real macs as well

Edited by phaberest

Everything working flawless so far except you can't double tap to start selecting text (for copying and pasting something, for example).. you have to click then drag over text to select it. Any thoughts or fixes on this?

Edit: Nevermind this needs to be enabled in Accessibility>Mouse and Keyboard>Trackpad options

Edited by mr. baltazar
Found solution in system prefs

I've moved to VoodooI2C with no problem (v2.1.4). I can feel the tracking is smooth but scrolling is still choppy. Maybe because the 4k screen?

And another question: - I've never had this feature but - while I scrolling I don't have the inertia effect (bounces if I reach the end). Is it normal or am I missing something?

btw thanks @alex.daoud for this amazing work! :thumbsup_anim:

On 10/14/2018 at 8:54 AM, Mr.C said:

I've moved to VoodooI2C with no problem (v2.1.4). I can feel the tracking is smooth but scrolling is still choppy. Maybe because the 4k screen?

And another question: - I've never had this feature but - while I scrolling I don't have the inertia effect (bounces if I reach the end). Is it normal or am I missing something?

Not sure about choppy scrolling. I have the 4k 9550 and it works fine for me.

With regards to inertia scrolling, check the following setting: SysPrefs > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Scrolling.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, Mr.C said:

21 hours ago, alex.daoud said:

Not sure about choppy scrolling. I have the 4k 9550 and it works fine for me.

With regards to inertia scrolling, check the following setting: SysPrefs > Accessibility > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options > Scrolling.

Same here, I'm on 1080p with i7 and it's more than fluffy. just perfect.. Thanks again @wmchris You're new repo also solved my FCP X problems and streaming lags

47 minutes ago, shane87 said:

Same here, I'm on 1080p with i7 and it's more than fluffy. just perfect.. Thanks again @wmchris You're new repo also solved my FCP X problems and streaming lags

well.... the problem is in my side i guess.... when 14.1 come out I will do a clean install to solve my issue

Hey, first off, thanks for this guide. It's super helpful, and the discussion is also helping to solve some of my problems.

The only thing I can't seem to figure out is Step 3, installing Clover on my internal hard drive. My first problem was with "diskutil mount EFI". When I do this without the USB plugged in, it says "Unable to find disk for EFI". If I try it WITH the USB it says that the drive can't be mounted.

I know that other people who had this problem were using different tools from TonyMac and such, however, I have used all of the tools listed in the guide, as well as following each step carefully. I tried to just skip past this step, but when I try to install Clover onto my internal drive, I choose "Install Clover in ESP" and "Install RC-Scripts on Target Device." Everything installs successfully, and then I copy the contents of 10.14/Clover over, and restart, and it won't boot without the USB, and once I am in the USB, everything I just described is as if it never happened.

Does anyone have any ideas? It seems that I have to figure out the issue of mounting the EFI.

4 hours ago, dcarozza6 said:

Hey, first off, thanks for this guide. It's super helpful, and the discussion is also helping to solve some of my problems.

The only thing I can't seem to figure out is Step 3, installing Clover on my internal hard drive. My first problem was with "diskutil mount EFI". When I do this without the USB plugged in, it says "Unable to find disk for EFI". If I try it WITH the USB it says that the drive can't be mounted.

I know that other people who had this problem were using different tools from TonyMac and such, however, I have used all of the tools listed in the guide, as well as following each step carefully. I tried to just skip past this step, but when I try to install Clover onto my internal drive, I choose "Install Clover in ESP" and "Install RC-Scripts on Target Device." Everything installs successfully, and then I copy the contents of 10.14/Clover over, and restart, and it won't boot without the USB, and once I am in the USB, everything I just described is as if it never happened.

Does anyone have any ideas? It seems that I have to figure out the issue of mounting the EFI.

Try to mount it with CloverConfigurator. wmchris's repo contains it in /Additional/Tools/

6 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Try to mount it with CloverConfigurator. wmchris's repo contains it in /Additional/Tools/

Thanks for your response. So I tried doing that and mounted the EFI shown in my screenshot, however, I still continue to get the same error, even after copying over the contents of the Clover folder. I've also attached a screenshot of what the ESP drive looks like.

I managed to get iMessage and iCloud working, I would just like to be able to boot from the internal drive.

If it matters, I also have a second partition that I'd eventually install Windows on. I have attached what that looks like in Disk Utility.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 8.00.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 8.00.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 8.39.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 8.41.55 AM.png

Edited by dcarozza6

5 hours ago, dcarozza6 said:

Thanks for your response. So I tried doing that and mounted the EFI shown in my screenshot, however, I still continue to get the same error, even after copying over the contents of the Clover folder. I've also attached a screenshot of what the ESP drive looks like.

I managed to get iMessage and iCloud working, I would just like to be able to boot from the internal drive.

If it matters, I also have a second partition that I'd eventually install Windows on. I have attached what that looks like in Disk Utility.

hmmm... interesting. So after you choose ESP option, can you select your OS partition with the "Change Install location" button?

pic

You followed the tutorial correctly right? Especially this part:

"If you want to multiboot with Windows 10, then you'll have to create a second partition, too (also HFS! Dont use FAT or it will not boot! You have to reformat it when installing Windows)."

Edited by Mr.C
there wa a dumb question in it