[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2018 at 8:24 PM, alex.daoud said:
Since I have this laptop myself, I thought I would let you guys know: I have just pushed v2.1 of VoodooI2C which replaces our custom multitouch engine with fully fledged native gestures. This means that your I2C trackpad will work almost identically to a Magic Trackpad 2 (save for force touch of course). Keep in mind that v2.1 doesn't support Mojave yet but I will push a new release to support it when it goes gold.

Note also that, thanks to experimental USB support on VoodooI2C, v2.1 supports the USB touchscreen on the XPS. As a result, we now have proper gestures on the touchscreen without purchasing touchbase's drivers.

Please make sure to read the "Supported Gestures" page for important information when using native gestures.

this is awesome, can't thank you enough!!

On 9/20/2018 at 3:17 PM, phaberest said:

Amazing work man, this is definitely a revolution, well done!

I just installed it and it works like a charm! Feels absolutely native!ely going to keep it!

--- EDIT AFTER 1 DAY OF USE -- 
It still have issues with palm detection, but works flawlessly for the rest. I'm definit

how is the pinch to zoom in/out working for you? (or is it not supported?)

I get it to zoom in most of the time, zoom out is more finicky :)

not complaining though, since the rest of it is smoother than it has ever been

(and now i get what you meant with palm detection, i usually use docked with external peripherals, so didn't realize :D)

On 9/21/2018 at 7:48 AM, nabeelmoeen said:

not complaining though, since the rest of it is smoother than it has ever been

does the physical click work well for you? i still have the issue, that physical clicks are most of the time unreliable (which makes drag and drop pretty impossible for me).

Also the hidd process gets a high cpu load whenever i move the cursor (>50%), normal is 0,6% @alex.daoud

Edited by wmchris

4 hours ago, wmchris said:

does the physical click work well for you? i still have the issue, that physical clicks are most of the time unreliable (which makes drag and drop pretty impossible for me).

Also the hidd process gets a high cpu load whenever i move the cursor (>50%), normal is 0,6% @alex.daoud

Physical click issue sounds strange, does it do it regardless of configuration options in the sys prefs?

The CPU issue just came to light today - I'm not sure whats causing it as it isnt happening on my machine but I'll be looking into it.

37 minutes ago, alex.daoud said:

Physical click issue sounds strange, does it do it regardless of configuration options in the sys prefs?

The CPU issue just came to light today - I'm not sure whats causing it as it isnt happening on my machine but I'll be looking into it.

sysprefs doesnt change the click behaviour for me.

more detailed issue: physical clicks work about 30% of the time. The rest either the mouse button up or the mouse button down event is not registered in a timely manner. takes 1-3seconds to fix itself.

* physical clicks are not registered (nothing happens), this only happens after at least one successful click in the past few seconds

* a drag and drop / highlighting is not released and will continue even without any button pressed -> will be freed after a short amount of time after the actual button up event

* hammering the physical click will make it worse (counter-intuitive ;-) )

* taps work like intended, dont seem to interrupt the physical click "timer"

i have the issue on two different dell xps 15 models, so i doubt it has anything to do with faulty hardware (and it works well with voodoops2)

Edited by wmchris
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, wmchris said:

Will check and confirm. I don't use physical click generally though.

I have enabled the "three finger" drag and drop from the Accessibility system preference 

10 hours ago, wmchris said:

I have same problem with physical click on XPS15 and XiaomiPro15.6.

It just unreliable and i think it maybe 50% will catch my click and 50% will ignore my click.

Here are the system preference.

Physical Clink was the 3-rd option Unchecked and test and you will find the same phenomenon.

Thanks for alex's great drviers for I2C devices.

QQ20180923-044813@2x.png

Hello,

I have DELL XPS 15 95504K

I have to report a strange problem, If I connect the Dell Adapter DA200 , Ethernet works but then breaks after sleep.

I have tried with a HP usb-c adapter and it works even after sleep. I don't know why there is this difference.

Also, after disconnecting the usb-c adapters it happens that the pointer, using trackpad with VoodooI2C  jumps by himself, I was able to reproduce this issue and it  happens only after disconnecting USB-C. If I connect again the adapter the cursor works normally again.

I don't know the reason of this behaviour, since I followed the guide and patched ACPI for I2C.

I attach files for reporting.

Thank you in advance for help.

Archive.zip

Hi all, I'm wanting to hackintosh my 9550 4k with toshiba SSD. Im using a friends macbook air for now, and think I want to make the switch from Windows but i can't stand the new keyboards. Also linux just won't cut it anymore. I'm also hoping this might require a little bit less tinkering once it's set up than most Linux distros do.

SO, I noticed the main post hasn't been updated for a while according to the last edited date of nov 2017....

Is there an updated guide that i'm missing? Sorry if it's obvious and I missed it! 

Edited by Luc1d

1 hour ago, Luc1d said:

Hi all, I'm wanting to hackintosh my 9550 4k with toshiba SSD. Im using a friends macbook air for now, and think I want to make the switch from Windows but i can't stand the new keyboards. Also linux just won't cut it anymore. I'm also hoping this might require a little bit less tinkering once it's set up than most Linux distros do.

SO, I noticed the main post hasn't been updated for a while according to the last edited date of nov 2017....

Is there an updated guide that i'm missing? Sorry if it's obvious and I missed it!

its in the tutorial, literaly the first big sentence after the computer logo......

I'm experiencing weird crashes, it logs me out of my online accounts and the laptop freezes, logs me out entirely and I most of the times can't log back in(the only way is hard shutdown and reboot).
I'm not sure what can be causing it, tho.

When I was once finally able to log back in there was a window that stated something like "Unapproved Caller: SecurityAgent may only be invoked by Apple software". I googled it and tried to follow the steps of booting in single user and deleting every folder in /var/folders but it didn't solve the issue.

I'm going to update to 10.14 this weekend to see if the issue persists.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:48 AM, nabeelmoeen said:

how is the pinch to zoom in/out working for you? (or is it not supported?)

I get it to zoom in most of the time, zoom out is more finicky :)

I usually don't use the trackpad to zoom in/out, I'm a keyboard shortcuts fan :whistle:

I just tried it in Preview and it seems like it doesn't catch the gesture 100% of the times, but when it does it is smooth in the zoom in and a bit more "rude" while zooming out.

Edited by phaberest

4 hours ago, Gymnae said:

I'd wait with Mojave until the next .1 update, maybe even until .3 - that's a good measure with Apple. Always has been.

I'm at least waiting until I'll end the Linux experiment.

I usually wait a lot, but there is no support for USB connected monitors(displaylink) from 10.13.4+ and it seems like they solved the issue in 10.14. My dock is almost useless right now... :(

22 minutes ago, KamikazePlatypus said:

Does anyone have a list of kexts and drivers I should be using with the 9550?

In the first post you'll find a link to the github repo where you find clear instructions on how to install it and all the required kexts.

Hey Guys,

just wanted to quickly check here before I report a bug and troubleshoot with the developer.

I've switched to VoodooI2C v 2.1.4 today, and if I draw a circle with the mousepointer using the trackpad continuously I can see how it teleports in the last known direction of the circle - exactly every second, which makes it impossible to do a circle.

Same thing can be observed if you slowly scroll on this page. The scroll will be jumpy at every second.

I have added the DSDT files as per hvolkoff's initial discussion

Is anyone else seeing this on our machines? Are everyone else still using the SSDT-I2CX.aml and SSDT-XOSI.aml from the linked post or has the development of the kext changed so it's no longer needed?

4 hours ago, Lockzi said:

Hey Guys,

just wanted to quickly check here before I report a bug and troubleshoot with the developer.

I've switched to VoodooI2C v 2.1.4 today, and if I draw a circle with the mousepointer using the trackpad continuously I can see how it teleports in the last known direction of the circle - exactly every second, which makes it impossible to do a circle.

Is anyone else seeing this on our machines? Are everyone else still using the SSDT-I2CX.aml and SSDT-XOSI.aml from the linked post or has the development of the kext changed so it's no longer needed?

Hello, I'm  experiencing the same issue, but only after sleep. In my case the cursor jumps randomly, I can reproduce the issue moving the cursor or in a straight line or making circles.

I'm using VoodooI2C v2.1 with SSDT from the git repo and patched with  SSDT-I2CX.aml and SSDT-XOSI.aml from the same post.

I really don't know the cause, so now I'm going to update to the last version and I'll tell you

Edited by Tiberio Galbiati
fix

9 hours ago, Tiberio Galbiati said:

Hello, I'm  experiencing the same issue, but only after sleep. In my case the cursor jumps randomly, I can reproduce the issue moving the cursor or in a straight line or making circles.

I'm using VoodooI2C v2.1 with SSDT from the git repo and patched with  SSDT-I2CX.aml and SSDT-XOSI.aml from the same post.

I really don't know the cause, so now I'm going to update to the last version and I'll tell you

So then I am guessing it is something with our implementation.

I have not realized nor confirmed that it occurs after sleep. Interesting, will check it out.

It seems like it has something to do with the GPIO pins for trackpad interrupts? Maybe I should try rolling back the GPIO patches and use VoodooI2Cs polling method instead...

2 hours ago, Lockzi said:

So then I am guessing it is something with our implementation.

I have not realized nor confirmed that it occurs after sleep. Interesting, will check it out.

It seems like it has something to do with the GPIO pins for trackpad interrupts? Maybe I should try rolling back the GPIO patches and use VoodooI2Cs polling method instead...

APCIBatteryManager is known to clash with VoodooI2C and cause jittery movement. Try removing it if you have it and check if that improves things.

5 hours ago, alex.daoud said:

APCIBatteryManager is known to clash with VoodooI2C and cause jittery movement. Try removing it if you have it and check if that improves things.

Hello Alex,

I can confirm that I was using APCIBatteryManager.

After disabling it I still have the same issue, so it's not even after sleep.

Should I go through with the troubleshoot procedure you've listed on Github?