[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Hey All, was wondering if someone could help me/give me advice.

I just bought a Dell XPS 15 9550 I5 with a HGST 1 TB SSD. So, I tried using both pandora and u n I beast, and none worked. I replaced the contents within the clover folder, changed the following settings in BIOS:

Remove VTI-D, Disable secure boot, Enable legacy boot, Turned on AHCI in Sata operation. I didn't edit the config.plist file, as per the instruction it says do not change the identifier for i5. 

I was wondering if anyone could possibly provide any tips? When I try to boot from USB Storage it says unable to boot from USB. 

Edit: Under the boot menu, I only see my USB drive in the legacy boot option, not EFI. If someone can help me get a full working install I'd be even willing to donate $5-10 as a thank you! I haven't been on this community for a while but I've heard great things. Miss my old El Capitan desktop haha

EDIT2: I’m an idiot, added it as a boot option and it worked in Uefi. My issue now is the screenshot. Can anyone help please? Thank you very much all!

uKjyhtn.jpg

Also, I have a 64GB USB 3.0 USB - should be okay just thought I'd mention

Thanks all for taking the time to read this! 

Edited by mosh1243

6 hours ago, mosh1243 said:

Hey All, was wondering if someone could help me/give me advice.

I just bought a Dell XPS 15 9550 I5 with a HGST 1 TB SSD. So, I tried using both pandora and u n I beast, and none worked. I replaced the contents within the clover folder, changed the following settings in BIOS:

Remove VTI-D, Disable secure boot, Enable legacy boot, Turned on AHCI in Sata operation. I didn't edit the config.plist file, as per the instruction it says do not change the identifier for i5. 

I was wondering if anyone could possibly provide any tips? When I try to boot from USB Storage it says unable to boot from USB. 

Edit: Under the boot menu, I only see my USB drive in the legacy boot option, not EFI. If someone can help me get a full working install I'd be even willing to donate $5-10 as a thank you! I haven't been on this community for a while but I've heard great things. Miss my old El Capitan desktop haha

EDIT2: I’m an idiot, added it as a boot option and it worked in Uefi. My issue now is the screenshot. Can anyone help please? Thank you very much all!

Also, I have a 64GB USB 3.0 USB - should be okay just thought I'd mention

Thanks all for taking the time to read this! 

You have to calc your exact slide parameter because of the memory fragmentation. Use the tutorial provided by @wmchris

So I decided to give hackintosh another shot on this machine, and booting using a 10.13 High Sierra USB the NVMe Patch for Hynix drive does not seem to be working - I cannot see the hard drive.

NOTE: I have not reformatted my drive for 4K sector size 

I tried to creating a Sierra (10.12.6) bootable USB using the 10.12 branch but experienced the same issue. the only Clover configuration that recognizes the Hynix NVMe in the Mac OS Installer is the one using 10.12-BIOS-1.21 branch on wmcrhis' GitHub.

I am currently running BIOS v1.7. 

any pointers on what may be the issue here?

Hey guys,

For some reason I've gotten everything but Thunderbolt/USB C to work - would love if someone could provide any advice. I have USB InjectAll, and when I go to thunderbolt in system info it doesn't show up. I just need to use it to output to a second display

Hi!

I need a little help too. My headphone output sounds weird no matter what. I am on HS 10.13.6. and I tried these:

1. VoodooHDA

Speaker OK (maybe a little quiet) but no sound through jack. Tried v2.8.8 and 2.9 too with the same result

2.VerbStub

Speaker quality isn`t great but works, headphone jack has sound distortion

3. AppleHDA

same as VerbStub except speaker quality is better

Currently using AppleHDA by SysCL and trough headphone jack the sound distortion still exist. What should I do? I removed the previous versions each time when I tried the other solution. I installed them with the .sh method and manually too (copied the commands from the scripts) therefore when I uninstalled I removed the modified files. Maybe the uninstallation wasn`t successful? Can somebody help?

Thank You!

On 7/17/2018 at 7:56 PM, mosh1243 said:

Hey guys,

For some reason I've gotten everything but Thunderbolt/USB C to work - would love if someone could provide any advice. I have USB InjectAll, and when I go to thunderbolt in system info it doesn't show up. I just need to use it to output to a second display

you are a fan of "asking first, then read" or? Most of your questions were answered inside the tutorial while other occured because you ignored some part of the tutorial or didnt follow the steps at all. Your question was answered before, so i will not answer it for you. See:

On 12/31/2016 at 9:37 AM, wmchris said:

If you've questions or something doesn't work: first check if you've done all steps of this tutorial! If yes: please read the whole thread (doesn't matter how long it is) before asking to prevent multiple questions. Additionally do a search in google and this forum.

EDIT: his posts got deleted by a moderator? (i think)

On 7/18/2018 at 1:29 PM, Mr.C said:

Maybe the uninstallation wasn`t successful? Can somebody help?

Thank You!

it sounds a lot like your uninstallation of one was incomplete. did you uninstall voodoo with the supplied uninstaller?

On 7/17/2018 at 4:31 PM, nabeelmoeen said:

is it possible you didnt apply the "in the tutorial mentioned" sk-hynix patch?

Edited by wmchris

On 7/20/2018 at 1:55 AM, wmchris said:

is it possible you didnt apply the "in the tutorial mentioned" sk-hynix patch?

I did, but i'm not sure why it doesn't work on either the 10.13 and 10.12 set of files from GitHub.

Like I said, only the 10.12-1.2-BIOS branch files detect the SDD with the hynix patch.

maybe this weekend I spend some time comparing the files to try and determine the differences to get an idea of what might work :)

On 7/19/2018 at 5:55 PM, wmchris said:

it sounds a lot like your uninstallation of one was incomplete. did you uninstall voodoo with the supplied uninstaller?

On 7/17/2018 at 4:31 PM, nabeelmoeen said:

There is no uninstaller provided in this repo (at least I cant find any) but I did this:

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDADisabler.kext
sudo rm -r /Applications/VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.app
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
sudo rm -r /System/Library/PreferencePanes/VoodooHDA.prefPane

3 hours ago, Mr.C said:

There is no uninstaller provided in this repo (at least I cant find any) but I did this:

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDADisabler.kext
sudo rm -r /Applications/VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.app
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
sudo rm -r /System/Library/PreferencePanes/VoodooHDA.prefPane

the voodoo package includes an uninstaller for itself.

16 hours ago, wmchris said:

the voodoo package includes an uninstaller for itself.

Probably I missed it, doesn't matter now, I managed it. 

Purged all the audio related files and kexts and installed the verbstub version. Now everything works fine, audio quality is good :)

thanks for the help! ;)

• Thanks 1

One thing that I've noticed in my setup, it that after updating from 10.13 to 10.14, there is some difference in performance. The system is more laggy now. Using Adobe Lightroom, for example, is painful, and it's a lot slower and laggier than High Sierra. At first I thought it would be something related to the fact that this is still a Beta, but at this stage (4th public beta), I don't think it is. But I have no clue about what is causing this issue (CPU is not necessarily high when this slowness happens).

Another issue that I've noticed is that in Finder, images thumbnails are not being rendered, most of the time Finder will show the generic image icon (PNG, JPEG, etc) instead of the image thumbnail. This is very annoying when working with photos.

Edited by golimpio

I've been testing the new version of WhatEverGreen kext on 10.14, and it has been working fine for a couple of days. I've removed CoreDisplayFixUp and IntelGraphicsFixup kexts, as they are now part of WhatEverGreen kext. Also, I've updated to the latest Lilu kext, which is needed by WhatEverGreen.

WhatEverGreen Support Topic:

On 7/18/2018 at 12:31 AM, nabeelmoeen said:

So I decided to give hackintosh another shot on this machine, and booting using a 10.13 High Sierra USB the NVMe Patch for Hynix drive does not seem to be working - I cannot see the hard drive.

NOTE: I have not reformatted my drive for 4K sector size 

I tried to creating a Sierra (10.12.6) bootable USB using the 10.12 branch but experienced the same issue. the only Clover configuration that recognizes the Hynix NVMe in the Mac OS Installer is the one using 10.12-BIOS-1.21 branch on wmcrhis' GitHub.

basically, due to an accident that wiped out my Windows partition I decided to bite the bullet and finally format my Hynix SSD to 4K. that seemed to have done the trick for High Sierra installer which detected and was able to install to the disk.

I can confirm, the Hynix Piker Alpha patch did not work for me with the 10.13.6 installer.

Edited by nabeelmoeen
(got the 4K display working)

Dear @wmchris

I just wanted to say thank you very much for this post. I'm sure countless hours went into this. I should've listened to the title - and as I'm not very experienced (ran one PC mackintosh build before) and asked a friend/learned more. Still, your instructions were incredibly thorough and I'm now running High Sierra with very few issues. Pairing Mac OS with this beautiful small-bezel display is quite honestly the dream machine. I'm sorry for the bother earlier, I did try to follow all the instructions but got caught up with specific things along the way which gave me issues. Regardless, thank you for facilitating this incredible build.

14 hours ago, mosh1243 said:

I did try to follow all the instructions but got caught up with specific things along the way which gave me issues. Regardless, thank you for facilitating this incredible build.

you asked, before even trying to read the instructions. all of your "specific things" were handled in the tutorial. in the future: please read the tutorial, this thread and do a google search before posting here (as i said in the tutorial at the very top). without the help of the moderators, this thread would be filled with your posts with redundant questions and other people would completly loose the overview. oh and btw: i dont support software from tony, it's not allowed to write about these on insanelymac and working around the bad-word-filter by adding s p a c e s is no way to behave and should tell you, that you're doing something wrong.

Now back to topic:

On 7/26/2018 at 9:46 PM, ferchizzle said:

I did a fresh install w no problem except that my bluetooth keeps randomly dropping off.

this issue was there from the beginning, but only occurs after sleep. it feels like its getting worse with the newer versions of OSX. can someone confirm?

Edited by wmchris

On 10.14, USB-C gives me display output, but will not connect to USB. I did notice that when the dongle is plugged in, System Information shows that there is a USB 3.1 bus, but nothing is on it. If anybody has any tips or can point me in the right direction, that would be nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

does anybody can get 1000baseT speed (1GB) with the DA200 adapter?

doing ipconfig in terminal I gat:

en2: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=4<VLAN_MTU>
    nd6 options=201<PERFORMNUD,DAD>
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)

can't get rid of autoselect in SP -> advanced -> hardware -> speed of the USB 10/100/1000 LAN

thanks, regards!

E