[GUIDE] Dell XPS 15 (9550) Mojave 10.14 / 10.15 Quick Installation

Krim404

1,806 posts in this topic

Hi, Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I read somewhere that changing the SMBIOS might help as it enables some extra power saving features. But when I tried changing it using Clover Configurator my installation didn't boot any more and I had to reinstall. I also read something about changing the SMBIOS to 13,3 requires a bit more than using the 'Magic Wand' on Clover Configurator. Could you possibly help me understand that or point me in the right direction please?

Also, if I change the SMBIOS and if it doesn't reboot, can I change something in the Clover Bootloader settings to get the system running back again? I am referring to the screen you get when you restart the computer and you have the list of operating systems to choose from.

Thanks again.

--

me :)

if you used the latest version of my repository a simple change using the latest clover configurator is enough. If you used an older version: take a look if you have the SSDT.aml in your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder. If it's there: delete it and everything should work.

BTW: i just checked the power consumption by simply switching to 13,3: nothing changes regarding idle power consumption. So it can only get you more performance, but not better battery life. Increasing the battery requires additional steps which i try at the moment on my 2nd. dell.

Micro Tutorial: how to reduce the power consumption in one easy step:

disable the SD Card Reader in the EFI.

Power consumption with enabled SD Card Reader: 3W in minimum on my machine

Power consumption with disabled SD Card Reader: 0.9W in minimum on my machine

this can be improved even more if you disable HWP and use more power efficient frequency vectors.

EDIT: some screenshots of my 2nd machine. Screen 1: disabled SD Card Reader, Screen 2: enabled SD Card Reader.

post-19619-0-88347800-1488899467_thumb.png

post-19619-0-31791700-1488899473_thumb.png

This is what my battery consumption looks like:

When using internet at full brightness, about 16-17 watts (using my mobile connected via USB for tethering)

When fully idle, mobile detached, all windows CLOSED/QUIT: 9-10watts

Using intel software its 2.5-4watts watts either way.

With that said, could you possibly tell me how to disable that SD card reader in EFI. Is cool if you can't. Thanks.

See screenshots

In the BIOS (hit F2 upon startup) there is an option under the power saving tab to turn it on/off.

• Like 1

@wmchris

I see you have added OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi to your repo - forget about it. Actually this is not second aptiofix, this is first one with changes that were merged into Clover upstream very long way ago. And it will give you zero benefits. I can tell you how to run real second aptiofix - but again you will get more pain than goods.

@wmchris

I see you have added OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi to your repo - forget about it. Actually this is not second aptiofix, this is first one with changes that were merged into Clover upstream very long way ago. And it will give you zero benefits. I can tell you how to run real second aptiofix - but again you will get more pain than goods.

i didnt look deep into it, i just fiddled around with FileVault2 and saved my progress so far for later use. At the moment i'm just unsure if AptioFix is the reason why hibernation (suspend to disk) doesnt work properly.

@wmchris

I see you have added OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi to your repo - forget about it. Actually this is not second aptiofix, this is first one with changes that were merged into Clover upstream very long way ago. And it will give you zero benefits. I can tell you how to run real second aptiofix - but again you will get more pain than goods.

How to use aptiov2?

Slide=32?

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

How to use aptiov2?

Slide=32?

Yes, with slide 32. This will allow aptiofix2 to put kernel into proper memory region. But this is dirty hack, and this will break "safe mode" for osx (you can try - safe mode will not work). I have spent days fighting with aptiofix2, with a lot of hacks and debugging. Only reasons to try fixing second aptiofix are FileVault and hibernation. For me none of them are needed - my data is too valuable to use FileVault (yes, i'm paranoid and don't believe in non-opensource encryption mechanisms. no way to recover data in case of any issues) and hibernation is not deal breaker.

My main goal fighting with AptioFix2 was NvRam functionality - and it was proven that problem exists not on that level. Even we still can't find proper reason why NvRam works so strangely on Skylake hardware generation. Yes - problem is mostly on gen6 intel hardware. So this is still under investigation.

Yes, with slide 32. This will allow aptiofix2 to put kernel into proper memory region. But this is dirty hack, and this will break "safe mode" for osx (you can try - safe mode will not work). I have spent days fighting with aptiofix2, with a lot of hacks and debugging. Only reasons to try fixing second aptiofix are FileVault and hibernation. For me none of them are needed - my data is too valuable to use FileVault (yes, i'm paranoid and don't believe in non-opensource encryption mechanisms. no way to recover data in case of any issues) and hibernation is not deal breaker.

My main goal fighting with AptioFix2 was NvRam functionality - and it was proven that problem exists not on that level. Even we still can't find proper reason why NvRam works so strangely on Skylake hardware generation. Yes - problem is mostly on gen6 intel hardware. So this is still under investigation.

but i test slide=32 with no use and it still error with optiov2

but i test slide=32 with no use and it still error with optiov2

can you give me output of memmap from uefi shell? Ther should be reason why it is not working on your laptop. Are you on latest Bios?

can you give me output of memmap from uefi shell? Ther should be reason why it is not working on your laptop. Are you on latest Bios?

You can look into this page.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284656-clover-general-discussion/?p=2371827

and here is my memmap form uefishell use "memmap > mem.txt"

I have tried all this data "32 270 288 392 436 437 442 445 2047 9711"but still can't boot into the osx and saying "Error allocating xxxx pages at xxxxx".

men.txt.zip

slide means number * page size. this is shift from memory start to place for kernel. On real macs this is floating value - to not place kernel in same region twice for security reasons. But this options allows to choose some exact place. Try something around 32 (few numbers less, few numbers more). And i will check your memmap later when i will have some spare time to see what is the difference in your memory allocation.

• Like 1

Yes on the M2 SSD is only Windows installed and on the HDD only OS X. I have used OS X Sierra 10.12.3 instrad of 10.12.2 maybe this is the problem?

Is there a HFSPlus.efi file in your EFI\CLOVER\drivers64UEFI path?It will miss when you Update the Clover。

I am getting a problem with garbled screen . I created an EFI bootable drive with BDU , macOS_10.12.3_(16D32) on 16gb flash disk. I used the suggested BIOS settings and tried changing a few options here and there according to @wmchris post but it didn't work.

Config : 9560 , i5 7300HQ , FHD , 1TB HDD with 32gb m2 cache drive.

Is there a SMBIOS change that i should make?

post-2008892-0-79668800-1489295749_thumb.jpg

post-2008892-0-57285400-1489295753_thumb.jpg

post-2008892-0-22877100-1489295759_thumb.jpg

post-2008892-0-27104300-1489295764_thumb.jpg

I am getting a problem with garbled screen . I created an EFI bootable drive with BDU , macOS_10.12.3_(16D32) on 16gb flash disk. I used the suggested BIOS settings and tried changing a few options here and there according to @wmchris post but it didn't work.

Config : 9560 , i5 7300HQ , FHD , 1TB HDD with 32gb m2 cache drive.

Is there a SMBIOS change that i should make?

the supplied files are for 9550, its possible the 9560 requires more in detail tweaking of the SSDTs.

the supplied files are for 9550, its possible the 9560 requires more in detail tweaking of the SSDTs.

I managed to find a solution and the flash successfully boots to a setup . Before going ahead i want to confirm if i should go ahead with the default SMBIOS configuration in clover ? It mentions macbook air 

I managed to find a solution and the flash successfully boots to a setup . Before going ahead i want to confirm if i should go ahead with the default SMBIOS configuration in clover ? It mentions macbook air 

you can change smbios after installation, so as long as it boots up, everything is fine. Please share your experience how you got it booting.

Hello to everybody!

Did somebody fix "wake problem" for our HD530 intel video card?  :(

I have one more problem as well with USB-C: hot plugging is working, but only two times inserting and later system not response to further inserting any devices to USB-C. 

Can somebody help to solve this problem?

Hello to everybody!

Did somebody fix "wake problem" for our HD530 intel video card?  :(

I have one more problem as well with USB-C: hot plugging is working, but only two times inserting and later system not response to further inserting any devices to USB-C. 

what wake problem?

USB-C is sadly the way it's working right now.

What sort of USB-C device are you using, and what version of Sierra are you running?

what wake problem?

USB-C is sadly the way it's working right now.

Wake problem: HD530 is not wake up (black screen) after sleep. This issue started after HD530 glitch fix.

USB-C is working but unfortunately after unplug and plug again any device, the port is stoping recognise it ( IO register explorer is showing me no any reaction from system after plugging device to port second or more time RP15 - no devices with plugged it). 

I am using now BIOS version 1.12.19, can this problem come from BIOS?

I am using Sierra 10.12.3

• Like 1

Wake problem: HD530 is not wake up (black screen) after sleep. This issue started after HD530 glitch fix.

USB-C is working but unfortunately after unplug and plug again any device, the port is stoping recognise it ( IO register explorer is showing me no any reaction from system after plugging device to port second or more time RP15 - no devices with plugged it). 

I am using now BIOS version 1.12.19, can this problem come from BIOS?

I am using Sierra 10.12.3

wake problem is most likely because you didnt change the hibernate mode. if it's not: dunno. I never heard of a problem like this before as long as you followed the tutorial.

USB-C is - as i said - normal if you use for ex. a mobile phone. works flawless with self powered devices and generic USB3 devices which just got a C-Type connector.

Reason:

Dell disables the whole interface on disconnect and reenables it on plugging in. Original Mac behaviour is permanent on, so it doesnt support reappearing USB Host controllers. The supplied files from my repo just tells the port to be enabled by default, so it allows hotplugging after power-up. Sometimes this works multiple times, sometimes not.