Non working Nvidia video card thread

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

james2mart

james2mart

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired Developers
  • 344 posts
Running titan. Loads up on a monitor attached externally from my laptop (black screen on my laptop) but what worries me is that I have no QE/CI. This is very disappointing. Anyone might know why? Could it be wrong FBOFFSET or does that have nothing to do with it? It detects my card correctly - nVidia GeForce Go 7300.

EDIT: I'm running a 8.1 kernel. Prolly newer than alot of peoples :)

mathdude1284

mathdude1284

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Is your card name listed in System Profiler? If so, then the kexts aren't loaded properly. Titan.kext identifies your card properly but once the actual drivers load it should change the card name to "display, b" or something liek that.

ampTK

ampTK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
For those of you that LoginWindow doesn't load, try adding the card's ID to NVDANV40Hal.kext (or the one your card uses) and NVDAResman.kext. Maybe doing it to the NVDAResman.kext is enough but I didn't try that independently.

Postmastagen

Postmastagen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Music/Audio Production<br />Video Production and Post-Production<br />Graphic De...

For those of you that LoginWindow doesn't load, try adding the card's ID to NVDANV40Hal.kext (or the one your card uses) and NVDAResman.kext. Maybe doing it to the NVDAResman.kext is enough but I didn't try that independently.

Intel P4 3.0 HT
1 GB Ram
ASUS nVidia GeForce 6800 (V9999) 0x0041

I tried that added 0x004110de&amp;0xffffffff to the list on both kext and did chmod/own and it still freezes when loading. Did I add it wrong or is it just not going to work? Anyone else get the asus v9999 working?

Digital Dark Age

Digital Dark Age

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Great Work Andazp!

I have the exact same card as you. Dell 6800 0x00c1 0x00a2. I added the ID's to both NVDANV40Hal.kext and to NVDAResman.kext but for some reason I get the kernel panic screen. Any help would be much appreciated!

ampTK

ampTK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
Digital Dark Age, I hope this clears how to add the ID:

remember to fix ownership and permissions if you edited it outside terminal, but it wouldn't hurt doing it anyway.

From NVDAResman.kext:
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x011010de&amp;0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&amp;0xfff8ffff 0x00c110de&amp;0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&amp (...) </string>

On NVDANV40Hal.kex it should be nstead:
0x00c110de&amp;0xfff0ffff

xtraa

xtraa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

6600GT on a P4P800, when the loginwindow.app starts the screen refresh changes and the monitor gets a signal, but the screen just says blank.

From what I can tell the system is actually running, just not displaying anything... :poster_oops:

This is on the very latest JaS 10.4.8 with the 10.4.4 Loginwindow due to crashing About This Mac... may try the 10.4.8 loginwindow if that would make a difference.

Same thing here on AMD with geforce 6600GT. the VGA output works, the DVI stays black. also inserted my
displays EDID and all device IDs fine... no matter if I take the old or the new loginwindow btw.

Strange... maybe it is because it's PCI-E?

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

On NVDANV40Hal.kex it should be nstead:
0x00c110de&amp;0xfff0ffff

are you sure that shouldn't be 0xfff8ffff ???

Korrupted

Korrupted

Wandering Samurai

• Retired
  • 1,623 posts
  • Interests:Mac<br />Laptops

Is your card name listed in System Profiler? If so, then the kexts aren't loaded properly. Titan.kext identifies your card properly but once the actual drivers load it should change the card name to "display, b" or something liek that.

Incorrect. The new Titan shows your card name properly.

Wallstreet

Wallstreet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I talked to np_ and others...I've done just about everything I could - the evga GeForce 7950GT KO WILL NOT WORK with Titan. Apparently Apple's drivers don't like the card. So, I'll probably return it and downgrade. :thumbsdown_anim:

Korrupted

Korrupted

Wandering Samurai

• Retired
  • 1,623 posts
  • Interests:Mac<br />Laptops
Did you try the new Natit release? Give that a try before returning the card. If you do decide on a downgrade, I'd aim for a 7900 GS, or a 7800 of some sort, since you seem to be looking for medium-high to high end cards.

Wallstreet

Wallstreet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Did you try the new Natit release? Give that a try before returning the card. If you do decide on a downgrade, I'd aim for a 7900 GS, or a 7800 of some sort, since you seem to be looking for medium-high to high end cards.

Yes, I tried Natit. No go there either. I'll likely end up with a 7900GS. No one's conclusively stated whether 512MB cards have worked or not.

0&1

0&1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

tested new mifki kernel on my dell m 1210 , succeded
but titan.kext came to black-white checked screen.
macvidia didn't work just got hanged in black screen.

haven't yet tested semthex kernel.
probablely would get same result as the above.

finally, got QE&CI with older IOPCIFamilly.kext.

HeroinHero

HeroinHero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
hmm i tried your suggestion andazp.. and now ive gotten the black screen that others have gotten.. out of the frying pan and into the freezer i guess, but at least its progress.. thanks man..

Wallstreet

Wallstreet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
I picked up a PNY 7900GS/256MB - Works like a charm with Natit. I guess the eVGA 7950GT KO just doesn't like Titan/Natit.

enb14

enb14

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
So we need to confirm if cards with 512MB doesn't works, guys if you had any card like Wallstreet's and have it working please post here.

HeroinHero

HeroinHero

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
i have a 7600 GS with 512mb that doesnt work.. actually its registered as 256mb by darwin and shown as that in system profiler too..

ArcticFox

ArcticFox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I have a 7600GS 512mb, it boots to the grey screen with the spinning circle then goes to a black screen, only way i can get back into osx is to uninstall natit.

icyderguru

icyderguru

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
MSI 7900 GTO 512MB

I either get a "Turn off your system" or Blackscreen

mathdude1284

mathdude1284

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
When you guys say loginwindow hangs, do you get NVDA::start(display) then a "NVDA::start(display)<1> failed"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy