A _different_ web drivers black screen on boot issue?

Lord Kamina

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone... I'm finishing up on a new build (due to my old motherboard dying on me)

I've got an i7-3770, Asrock Z77 OC Formula and a GTX980.

I can't boot with the 980. It was working just fine with the old motherboard (an MSI p67a). Now, if I use nv_disable, it boots ok (without acceleration obviously) and if i use NvidiaWeb, I get a black screen (with no errors, and there is actually a signal being sent to the display;  it's just blank), and the machine doesn't finish booting up (I know because I can't VNC into it).

All this is to say that no, it is NOT the AGDP issue. I'm using iMac13,2 SMBIOS.

Today this happened and I left it like that a while to see if it ever finished up booting (seeing as I'd read about people experiencing long boot-times on a black screen) but after a while I had to turn it off because, I {censored} you not, there was smoke and the smell of burnt plastic. I have no idea _what_ burnt, the only symptom I've seen so far is the BIOS doesn't recognize HDs plugged into the Marvell SATA3 controllers (but Windows sees the drives, so I don't think they actually died, or the ports, for that matter)

Needless to say, I haven't attempted to boot Sierra again.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...