ES137x AC97 Driver (VMWare Audio) - Project

maxxuss

47 posts in this topic

Update: v0.1 (Oct 5th, 2005)!

Update: VMWare 5.5 build 16958 support (see FAQ)

Just released:

EDIT: Removed content violating DMCA

This is an alpha test-release (v0.1) of my Sound Blaster AudioPCI (ES1371) Driver for Darwin/x86 and Mac OS X/x86.

You can use it with VMWare to have full sound support.

Please note that this alpha release misses some features and also contains some untested features. However, it should run stable and does not cause any crashes.

Enjoy!

[edit by Hagar 17th oct 2006]

Afaik this driver is not in violation of copyright, here is a repost of what appears to be a working link to the original driver.

ac97_1371soundblaster_driver_10.4.3_and later

Edited by Hagar

I am currently working on a Ensoniq ES137x AC97 Sound Driver, which will give you full sound support in VMWare. It's not finished yet and the current version is not stable enough for community testing. But it will be released in the next days, hopefully. In the meantime, I'll keep you up-to-date here. For a start, here's a first screenshot:

VMWare-Audio-Screenshot-1st-success.png.xs.jpg

great news maxxuss , if you are working with vmware you should definitively try the new vmware build with the guest os set to darwin. It's like 20x faster than 5.0

check this thread here http://www.win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1347

I am currently working on a Ensoniq ES137x AC97 Sound Driver, which will give you full sound support in VMWare. It's not finished yet and the current version is not stable enough for community testing. But it will be released in the next days, hopefully. In the meantime, I'll keep you up-to-date here. For a start, here's a first screenshot:

Vmware OS X can now be Real Mac Life!!

v0.1 is out. See 1st posting above. Enjoy!

Thank you Maxxuss!

It works with Vmware 5.0 like charm.

I also tested it with 5.5 build 16958.

The Audio card recognized well in system profiler, but not in system preference.

Hence no output port and no volume control.

I am using Phisical hard disk for Vmware IDE:0.

Inside Vmware IDE:0, there are Maxxuss Network and Audio installed.

All works very well with Vmware 5.0.

And then I just ugrade Vmware to 5.5, then Audio card is still recognized but no volume control.

If I downgrade to 5.0 again, sound works again.

With 5.0, sound palys choppy in my Pentium 2.66G notebook.

It maybe silky with 5.5, because 5.5 performance is much better than 5.0.

Driver working fine here too.

There are issues that seem to relate to the performance of OSX under vmware causing stuttering but that is hardly the fault of the drivers (also have the same issue when using Windows XP in vmware).

Can anyone else confirm that the drivers don't work with vmware 5.5 before I do the upgrade?

Driver working fine here too.

There are issues that seem to relate to the performance of OSX under vmware causing stuttering but that is hardly the fault of the drivers (also have the same issue when using Windows XP in vmware).

Can anyone else confirm that the drivers don't work with vmware 5.5 before I do the upgrade?

yes the driver works in 5.0 but doesn't in 5.5, the kext is loaded i can see it in system profiler but the card isn't recognized in the audio pref, no input or output displayed

yes the driver works in 5.0 but doesn't in 5.5, the kext is loaded i can see it in system profiler but the card isn't recognized in the audio pref, no input or output displayed

Thanks for the info. I will install 5.5 and try to get it working...

Seems to work grat Maxxuss, (side note) since you have single handedly fixed Both the Network and sound, are you willing to take a Stab at a VMWARE Video Driver? even something like the Macvidia Group is foing rewriting the Frame buffer for the GPU type??

Once again Great job...

VMWare 5.5 build 16958 seems to have broken the AC97 codec emulation. I have released a temporary work-around. See EDIT: Removed content violating DMCA

Edited by Metrogirl

sometimes i wonder if you are a big apple engineer or even sj under cover ;P

i've tried the modified ac97 kext and it works but as you said with a big stuttering, the weird thing is that the stuttering seems related to the screen redraw because if you keep moving a window it goes better.

Good work tho, it's still better than nothing since is a bug in the vmware software and if they read the forum ,and i suspect they do because this rc1 is a giant jump in speed over 5.0 it will be fixed in their final ver.

this is really odd....

the installer won't work for me !!

[code]pierres-computer:/Volumes/MAXXUSS_SND_5_5 pierre$ sudo ./ainstall.sh
Password:
kextunload: unload kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext failed
mkdir: /System/Library/Extensions.bak: File exists
rm: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext: No such file or directory 

Done. You should better restart your system.

what can I do ?[/code]

Solved ! I wasn't using the right thing ... how stupid I am ! :(

in another hand.. do you got something to enhance the cursor smoothness ????

mine is choppy.. but OS X is smooth .. strange !

Edited by pierrandre

• 1 month later...

Rather new to osx86 and having trouble with my sound. I am running 10.4.3 in vmware 5.5. Tried the maxxuss patch and am unable to get a listing in system preferences. I have an nforce4 mobo with nforce audio. Tried the new patch added today and still no luck. Can anyone possibly help? Had the same problem as pierrandre with workaround fix, but now with new patch it seems to work, but doesn't ever register in system.

maxuss, any new updates on the sound stuttering on vmware 5.5??? been really dying to fully make use of my OS X to replace my windows thru VMWare..... i cant remove my windows cos i still need it to tie down with my uni's wireless networking systems and all the {censored}.....

• 4 weeks later...
Update: v0.1 (Oct 5th, 2005)!

Update: VMWare 5.5 build 16958 support (see FAQ)

Just released:

EDIT: Removed content violating DMCA

This is an alpha test-release (v0.1) of my Sound Blaster AudioPCI (ES1371) Driver for Darwin/x86 and Mac OS X/x86.

You can use it with VMWare to have full sound support.

Please note that this alpha release misses some features and also contains some untested features. However, it should run stable and does not cause any crashes.

Enjoy!

can this driver run in native osx86?

Edited by Metrogirl

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Maxxuss,

I just tryed to install this driver on 10.4.4 using a Sound Blaster 16 PCI (ESSCHIP) and I get this error. It used to function properly in 10.4.3 but no such luck on 10.4.4..

Any help would be appreciated.

marks-computer:~ mark$ sudo kextload -t AppleAC97Audio.kext  
kextload: extension AppleAC97Audio.kext appears to be valid
16IOAC97AudioCodec is not compatible with its superclass, 9IOService superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension AppleAC97Audio.kext
load failed for extension AppleAC97Audio.kext
(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using this driver on an MSI 915GM-FR board board because the built in sound does not work- comes out of the black line out for 5.1, with no volume control at all. This is using the onboard ICH6 / Azalia. Either selection.

I have an OEM Creative sound card and using it with the driver, the sound works great for anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes and then looses it, and gets garbled gradually getting worse until it just shuts off. Quitting the game, or stopping and starting iTunes again brings back the sound. The cycle repeats.

This is using 10.4.5 installed with that 1.0a based patched install DVD on top of a patched 8F1111a installed DVD.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

I have some generic Chinese 5.1 sound cards that even say "Mac OS X" on the box, and they work on Tiger in a PPC, but not on Intel. Perhaps swiping the .kext from the PPC system might work. If I can identify what it's using.