MacOS Sierra on Proxmox 4.4

1 post in this topic

Hi all and thanks for this forum !

I have created a VMware VM using VMware Fusion 8 on my MacBook Pro (late 2013) and then I copied it over to Proxmox with encouraging but non functionning results.  Here is what I did, and how it failed.

1. Create VM (hdd 40G: disk1.vmdk) using the Mac OS X (Mavericks) recovery tools.

2. The VM boots without problem so I upgraded to Sierra and installed XCode.

3. I copied the disk to my Debian 8/Proxmox 4.3 machine but I couldn't start it.

4. After several attempts, I managed to get it to boot. 

4.1 The vmdk file must first be converted from growable to pre-allocated before being copied over. 

4.2 On the Proxmox host, I converted it from .vmdk to .qcow2 to support live migration on a cluster.

4.3 I installed a boot loader : enoch_rev2839_boot.

4.4 I played with the .conf file and the pve-q35.cfg file to suppress early errors in the boot process.

Unfortunately, it took 30 minutes approx. for the VM to boot on a quad core i5-2410M with 8GB RAM and it kept stuck at the end of the boot process.  This was on Proxmox 4.3.

I migrated the VM to a quad core i5-5250U with 16GB RAM running Proxmox 4.4.  Same .conf, same pve-q35.cfg, enoch_rev2839_boot.

Here, it starts booting the same way : it is the Darwin - Enoch boot screen, prompting me to choose from which partition to boot :

hd(0,2) (10.12) Macintosh HD

hd(0,3) (10.9) Macintosh HD

The first one is selected by default, so I just have to press enter.  It then displays a screen with 'Proxmox' and 'Press ESC for boot menu' during a few seconds before returning to the Darwin - Enoch boot screen.

In the mean time, I found it good to have both Proxmox nodes running the same version so I upgraded 4.3 to 4.4 on the host where the VM booted :-)  I then realised that the boot process under 4.4 was not working but it was too late...

Any help welcome as usual !

Here is my .conf (I cannot attach it).

args: -device ahci,id=ide -device isa-applesmc,osk="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal©AppleComputerInc" -smbios type=2 -readconfig /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-q35.cfg -machine q35 -kernel /etc/pve/qemu-server/enoch_rev2839_boot
bootdisk: ide0
cores: 4
cpu: Penryn
ide0: data:101/disk2.qcow2,size=40G
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 4096
name: OSX
net0: e1000-82545em=32:34:66:62:38:64
numa: 0
ostype: other
sockets: 1
tablet: 0