Problem with external display

Joni_78

5 posts in this topic

I have El Capitan installed on my laptop (Clover). Today I hooked it into external monitor with Display port and I can see the OSX login background on external display without the login options, internal monitor is black and I can't login and change the display options.

So now OS X displays login on the internal monitor, but it is black and login background is on the external monitor, just the background. I think that I somehow made it use only external monitor, but it is configured as 2nd display, so no login is displayed on it.

I have tried to reboot several times, without the external display connected and I can see the apple logo on internal monitor, but just before the login screen internal monitor turns off. How can I reset the display options?

You need to provide more info. Laptop model, what graphics card you're using. This just means your laptop's display isn't being recognized by the graphics driver you're using. A graphics driver isn't needed to see the Apple logo at boot time so seeing that doesn't mean anything. No one can help you without hardware specifics.

Ignoring whatever graphics card your laptop is using, what you describe reminds me of what many Sony laptops deal with.

You need to provide more info. Laptop model, what graphics card you're using. This just means your laptop's display isn't being recognized by the graphics driver you're using. A graphics driver isn't needed to see the Apple logo at boot time so seeing that doesn't mean anything. No one can help you without hardware specifics.

Ignoring whatever graphics card your laptop is using, what you describe reminds me of what many Sony laptops deal with.

Sorry, I was in a hurry writing this I have HP EliteBook with HD4000. I meant, this is a stable laptop, I have been using El Capitan with it for a year or so. Today I hooked it into new external monitor (Dell U3417W), laptop was turned off lid closed on a dock. After I plugged the external monitor I turned the laptop on (lid closed). I saw the login background on the external monitor but the actual login was on the internal monitor even though the lid was closed, so I could not log in. I then opened the lid and internal monitor stayed black. I unplugged the external monitor and rebooted, and I can see the apple logo when laptop boots, but just before the login screen should appear, the internal screen turns off.

So OS X is still thinking there is external monitor even though there isn't and shuts down the internal monitor every time I boot. Is there any way to reset the display settings without doing a reinstall?

Take a look at your clover config.plist and let me know what you have set for ig-platform-id, or let me know if this is being injected via DSDT.aml. The fact that it's decided not to read your laptop's display now even with the other display unplugged is sort of odd. If you can't find it there - run from Terminal:

ioreg -l | grep ig-platform-id 

to figure out its current value.

You can try switching its value to: "0x01660002" via Clover config.plist In Configuration->Graphics or change it through Clover Configurator - that's just for getting the one LVDS display on your laptop going by itself and should ignore the external monitor connected through DP (I assume). 

Let me know if you get to that point. From there you can try and figure out the correct value to get both displays working as this sounds odd

Is there any way to reset the display settings without doing a reinstall?

There are some specific settings stored in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist but I don't think it's related to this. You can delete it or rename it to something else and let OS X recreate it to see if it helps

EDIT:

Today I hooked it into new external monitor (Dell U3417W), laptop was turned off lid closed on a dock.

Looks like I missed that part - on a dock? That might have changed things. If this is the same case as what I'm reading on a  t*nymac thread (google "Elitebook 8470p black screen after using external monitors") that's also about an Elitebook hooked up to a dock and running into the same issue, then just try increasing your brightness on your laptop via the brightness key. It seemed this other person who ran into the same situation had the brightness taken down to 0 as a side effect of hooking it up to the dock or something.

Hopefully this is what you're dealing with and you don't have to change anything at all regarding Clover, etc. that I crossed out above.
  • Like 1

Take a look at your clover config.plist and let me know what you have set for ig-platform-id, or let me know if this is being injected via DSDT.aml. The fact that it's decided not to read your laptop's display now even with the other display unplugged is sort of odd. If you can't find it there - run from Terminal:

ioreg -l | grep ig-platform-id 

to figure out its current value.

You can try switching its value to: "0x01660002" via Clover config.plist In Configuration->Graphics or change it through Clover Configurator - that's just for getting the one LVDS display on your laptop going by itself and should ignore the external monitor connected through DP (I assume). 

Let me know if you get to that point. From there you can try and figure out the correct value to get both displays working as this sounds odd

There are some specific settings stored in /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist but I don't think it's related to this. You can delete it or rename it to something else and let OS X recreate it to see if it helps

EDIT:

Looks like I missed that part - on a dock? That might have changed things. If this is the same case as what I'm reading on a  t*nymac thread (google "Elitebook 8470p black screen after using external monitors") that's also about an Elitebook hooked up to a dock and running into the same issue, then just try increasing your brightness on your laptop via the brightness key. It seemed this other person who ran into the same situation had the brightness taken down to 0 as a side effect of hooking it up to the dock or something.

Hopefully this is what you're dealing with and you don't have to change anything at all regarding Clover, etc. that I crossed out above.

That solved it, I did try brightness but it turned out the brightness keys didn't work at that time. All working now, thank you :)