Help me Please, it's make me crazy...

NIkko485

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody !
First of all, my native language is French, sorry for mistakes...

My problem :

Several years ago, I've successfully installed Mac OSX 10.6 on my computer.
I'd got a lot of health trouble with a long time without using it.
Now my hard disk is dead and I can't remember how I've done...

I've tried to replace the graphic card (HD4870X2) with an old Nvidia to have the graphic interface (OK !) but no change in booting something

I've found nawcomBootCD and with that (and only that), I've installed Retail 10A432 successfully but it stuck at account creation (turning wheel for ever).
After RESET, I can acces to MacOS but the update to 10.6.8 failed to install. It can't find bundle for every thing (Safare, App Store, ...)..

I've tried the iAtkos S2 V2 and Hazard. Both install successfully but impossible to boot...

My computer details :
MB : iWill DJ800 (iWill no longer exist...)
Proc : 2xIntel Xeon 3.4GHz, Socket 604
Ram : 4GB (4x1GB)
Graphic : ATI Radeon HD4870x2 (2 GPUs on only one board)
Hard disk : 40GB Sata (for OSx, the others drives were SCSI but i won't use them any more)

Any suggestion ?
Thank's a lot in advance.
Best regards, John.

• 2 weeks later...

After RESET, I can acces to MacOS but the update to 10.6.8 failed to install. 

Explain what happens when you try updating to 10.6.8. Do you get a kernel panic near the end of the install or is it something before?

• Like 1

Hi !

First of all, thank you for your answser.

Things have changed since my post. I've managed make things work together.

I've come back here to inform the board, and I've seen your post.

I've other trouble, but first for your question :

I didn't have KP, but just errors in console "can't find bundle for Safari, App Store, ...

The PKG told me "Installation failed"...

But I think I've found the origin of that : the post boot mounter. With that, the installation got stuck at Account Creation and when I've reboot I think some thing in the system got corrupted and none PKG could install properly anymore.

I've got an idea so I've made a fresh install using iAtkos 10.6.3 (the minimum required by my music Software), made a little partition at the beginning of hard disk (named EFI), 2 larger partitions : 1 to install SL, 1 to clone it.

Once the installation completed, I've plug the hard disk on my MacBook and install a bootloader on my EFI named partition, with the legacy_kernel, clone the working system on the other partition (so I can make tests and restore in case of failure) and voila it's OK !

But still I can't install 10.6.8 combo update (and before reboot Legacy_kernel 10.6.8) cause after reboot it freeze at "PCI Configuration Begin". Even with the boot flags such as "NPCI=0X2000", "PCIRootUID=1"...

Anyway, I don't really need the update. 10.6.3 can do the work. If I really need the 10.6.8, I'll get on that seriously.

A friend of mine has gave me a Nvidia QUADRO FX370 wich has worked like a charm out of the box in dual screen mode !

My probleme is now the RAID Chip.

It's a Marvell MV88SX5041 also known as Adaptec 8110.

DPCI gives me as VID DID 11ab:5041. I've tried to modify the Info.plist in AppleAHCIPort.kext but no luck to see my Raid0 disk (BIOS Tells me OK but since it's a hack...).

If you can help me with that, I'll be glad for ever !

Thank you again !

John

Edit : Find a way to install 10.6.8 ! (One of my soft require it so...)

The fix : The PKG Legacy_kernel for 10.6.8 script seems to modify the com.apple.boot.plist on the working OSX partition.

Since i've a "EFI" partition, the com.appl.boot.plist in it hasn't been modified so the mach_kernel on the active partition is not compatible anymore.

Some Sudo command line later, everything is OK now (backup of original mach_kernel then rename legacy_kernel to mach_kernel)

Even with the boot flags such as "NPCI=0X2000", "PCIRootUID=1"...

Be sure and use lower case in the "npci" - npci=0x2000 as the kernel flags are case sensitive.

If that doesn't work and you're still interested in updating to 10.6.8 for accessing the App Store then you can try deleting the 10.6.8 versions of IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext and installing a copy of the 10.6.7 versions which I'll attach to this post. I would usually download the 10.6.8 Combo update from the Apple website manually and not via Software Update, let it install, and once it's finished it gives you a 5 second or so countdown before it reboots. if you run:

killall Installer

from Terminal before the countdown hits 0 you can replace the 10.6.8 ones with these ones and do whatever else you need to do before rebooting into 10.6.8.

I originally used this in my legacy_kernel 10.6.8 pkg as a similar "PCI begin" fix but I only had them installed if the pkg detected that you had an AMD processor, not for Intel.

It's a Marvell MV88SX5041 also known as Adaptec 8110

This definitely won't work with the AHCI driver and since MV88SX5041 is accessed on the motherboard through the PCI-X bus, you won't have luck finding a driver. Apple only used PCI-X in their ppc-based systems like their Power Macs so there's no x86 support for PCI-X in OS X and no third party driver either. Sorry :(

Edit : Find a way to install 10.6.8 ! (One of my soft require it so...)
The fix : The PKG Legacy_kernel for 10.6.8 script seems to modify the com.apple.boot.plist on the working OSX partition.
Since i've a "EFI" partition, the com.appl.boot.plist in it hasn't been modified so the mach_kernel on the active partition is not compatible anymore.
Some Sudo command line later, everything is OK now (backup of original mach_kernel then rename legacy_kernel to mach_kernel)

Yeah back when 10.6 was the latest OS X version we didn't use UEFI-style booting at all - EFI partitions didn't exist - we mainly used Chameleon or PC EFI (both BIOS bootloaders based on the same code). So the legacy kernel pkg I made would edit that bootloader's config. Glad to hear you got that working :) I'll still leave the kexts attached in case someone else might be looking for them.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.10.6.7.zip

IOPCIFamily.kext.10.6.7.zip

Thank you again for your help !

I've managed to get the 10.6.8 update working just now. The machine is currently made the spotlight indexation and when it's over I'll made a clone.

This definitely won't work with the AHCI driver and since MV88SX5041 is accessed on the motherboard through the PCI-X bus, you won't have luck finding a driver. Apple only used PCI-X in their ppc-based systems like their Power Macs so there's no x86 support for PCI-X in OS X and no third party driver either. Sorry :(

Don't be sorry I won'l blame you even if that statement make me sad...

But I've a SAS Card with standard SATA disk compatibility witch comes from a HP Proliant G3 ML150.
It's a HP Smart Array E200/128 BBWC. 
Do you think I've a chance to make it work ?