HP Elite X2 1012

blankmac

81 posts in this topic

Just a little teaser video demonstrating the HP Elite X2 running El Capitan.  Still working on the guide...I should have it up in a few days.  The only things that aren't working are the SD Card (of course, lol) and Thunderbolt 3 (forgot the rear camera doesn't work either, but the front does).  Sierra does install, but the not working list gets longer I'm afraid.

Here's a disassembly video for replacing the Wi-Fi and/or SSD.  Pretty simple to get apart, but take care when reassembling...They snap the screen back in willy nilly, but it's best to seat the left or right side first and allow the screen to bend slightly while seating the other side.  The long sides snap in without a problem, the short ends are a little tricky.  The screen is Gorilla Glass 4 and is ridiculously bendy..lol.

By all means, if something isn't clear, please let me know and I'll add the appropriate info!

Bios Settings

First ensure you have updated to bios version 1.19, there are some ACPI variable changes from previous versions that will not be compatible with all of the DSDT/SSDT mods I’ve made.

Security Tab

Turn TPM off.

Advanced Tab

• Boot Options – turn everything OFF except the following
    • CD-ROM Boot (probably doesn’t matter)
    • USB Storage Boot
    • Audio Alerts During Boot (probably doesn’t matter)
    • UEFI Boot
  • Secure Boot Configuration
    • Set to Legacy Support Disable and Secure Boot Disable
    • Uncheck everything else
  • System Options – leave everything checked except
    • Swap Fn and Ctrl (Keys)
    • Launch Hotkeys with Fn Keypress
  • Built-In Device Options
    • Set the video memory size to 64mb
    • You can leave everything checked, I disable NFC because it doesn’t apply to my system.  
  • Port Options
    • Check USB Ports and USB Charging Port Function (if desired)
    • I leave the media card reader checked but it doesn’t work in OS X.
  • Power Management Options
    • Check Runtime Power Management
    • Check Extended Idle Power States
    • Check Power Control
    • Uncheck everything else, particularly connected standby

Install USB Creation

You’ll need a USB stick 8GB or larger and a real Mac or a working Hackintosh.

First download El Capitan from Apple and ensure it is in your /Applications folder.

Also download the latest version of the Clover bootloader from sourceforge.

Format the USB stick with Disk Utility, OSX Extended journaled and GUID Partition Map with the name INSTALL

Use the following terminal command and enter your password to put the installer on the USB stick:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/INSTALL --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --no interaction

Install Clover to the USB with the follow options:

• Install for UEFI booting only
  • Install Clover in the ESP
  • All themes
  • Drivers64UEFI
    • EmuVariableUEFI-64
    • OsxAptioFix2Drv-64
  • Install RC scripts on target volume

After that’s done and the EFI partition is mounted, install  HFSPlus.efi and remove Vbox.  An easy way to accomplish this is with Clover Configurator’s Driver install pane.

Add the already patched ACPI files, config.plist, and kexts from the attached install zip.  Using ACPI files from someone else’s machine isn’t generally advised, but it will be ok to do for the installation.  However, we will be patching the files specific to your machine so you have the best experience possible running OS X.

To get the latest kexts needed for the HP Elite X2 

Dual Booting

If you’re keeping the stock drive, it is not likely that you’ll be able to install without wiping the drive unless your EFI partition is at least 200mb.  If it is, then you can shrink the Windows volume with Disk Managment, create a new partition in the free space and format it, doesn’t matter what file system, and proceed to the install.

If your EFI partition is less than 200mb (windows usually makes it 160mb) or you’re starting with a bare drive, you’ll need to install / reinstall windows so proceed to the install portion.

Installation

Plug in your newly created USB drive and start the Elite X2.  Once the HP boot logo appears, press the volume down button.  When the menu appears, select the boot menu and then your USB drive.  Once Clover has booted, select install mac os x.

When you’re booted into the installer, open up Disk Utility:

• If your EFI partition made the cut and you’re keeping your Windows install
    • Select the empty partition you created with Disk Management and erase it.  Make sure you have OS X Extended (journaled) selected.  Call it whatever you would like.
  • If your EFI partition was too small to be used
    • Select your drive and erase / partition it however you would like but ensure:
      • GUID is selected
      • Use only OSX partition types (even for what will be your windows installation)  If you use exfat or fat anywhere, it will create a hybrid disk and Windows 10 will NOT install later (forcing you to start over)

After all that business is sorted out, quit Disk Utility and install OS X.

After it is complete, reboot, press the volume down key, select the boot menu, and select your USB drive again.  When Clover appears this time select your OS X installation.

Once you have booted and completed the set up (note: don’t log in with your Apple ID yet), install Clover to your hard drive using the same settings and files as before; however, this time instead of putting the kexts on the EFI partition, install them to your SSD using kext wizard (preferred) or another utility.  And this time add VoodooI2C to get your touchscreen functioning.   (Don’t be alarmed if it KPs on the first boot after installing.  I don’t know why this happens, but after that it will be fine.  Keep in mind this kext is in an Alpha stage.  But it is stable on the Elite other than this quirk)  Also, it is necessary to remove AppleIntelLpssI2C.kext and AppleIntelLpssI2CController.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/  For some reason, these will still load ahead of VoodooI2C even though they do nothing in OS X.

Reboot and install Windows if you need to.  Once that is complete, reboot once more (without your USB) and press the volume down button.  Select the Boot Menu, but this time select ‘boot from file’, then your EFI partition, EFI again, CLOVER, then CLOVERX64.efi. 

Once Clover is up, press the F4 key once, also press Fn+F4 once just in case, and then boot into your installation.  What you just did was extract your native ACPI files that we will use to patch your system for full functionality.  This is a needed step, continuing to use my ACPI files is likely to cause you problems that are hard to identify or rectify.

Now to solve the issue of boot order…The HP Elite is very stubborn about adding UEFI boot entries for some reason so the simplest solution is once you are in OSX, mount your EFI partition (using clover configurator, etc) and navigate to /EFI/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/

Now find the ‘bootmgfw.efi’ file and rename it to ‘bootmgfw-orig.efi’  The Elite will boot to Clover ever more, except after a major Windows update.  When it starts booting directly to Windows again, simply repeat the process.

ACPI Patching

Some things you’ll need to patch your ACPI files – 

Iasl - https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-iasl

MaciASL -  https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-MaciASL-patchmatic

Most of the patches used are compiled from here:

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

I will list them so you can use them directly from RehabMan’s repository except the few I had to build specifically for the Elite X2 or you can use the preassembled and attached files to patch with. 

First we start with disassembly.  Mount your EFI partition and navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin/

Copy the DSDT and all the SSDT files to a folder on your desktop.  Add refs.txt to the folder.

Open up the Terminal, navigate to the folder and type the following –

iasl -da -dl -fe refs.txt *.aml

Once it’s done processing, remove all the *.aml files and every SSDT that contains an ‘x’ in the name (those are dynamic and are loaded when needed).

You should be left with the following .dsl files – 

• DSDT.dsl
  • SSDT-0.dsl
  • SSDT-1.dsl
  • SSDT-2.dsl
  • SSDT-3.dsl
  • SSDT-4.dsl
  • SSDT-5.dsl
  • SSDT-6.dsl
  • SSDT-7.dsl
  • SSDT-8.dsl
  • SSDT-16.dsl
  • SSDT-17.dsl

The files in the patches .zip are named with the files they go with.  Just go down the list and open the DSDT / SSDTs in MaciASL, hit the patch button and copy/paste the corresponding patch into the box.  After it’s applied, select ‘save as’ and save the file as ACPI Machine Language Binary.  Once you are done with all of the files, copy them to /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and you are done!

If you want to use the patches directly from RehabMan’s patch repository, these are the ones you need to apply

• DSDT
    • Rename _DSM methods to XDSM
    • HPET fix
    • IRQ fix
    • RTC fix
    • SMBUS fix
    • SkyLake LPC
    • OS Check Fix (Windows 8)
      • In the patch window, replace 2012 with 2015 in both places.  The HP Elite is a Windows 10 machine.
    • Rename GFX0 to IGPU
    • USB3_PRW 0x6D Skylake (instant wake)
      • This isn’t strictly necessary, but advisable
    • Brightness Fix
    • Shutdown Fix
    • HP Elite X2 battery  (added to Rehabman’s repo by me)
    • Next, you will need to develop your own patch or manually makes these changes
      • In RP15 remove ‘Store (PNLF, LNSL)
      • In the I2C0 device change XDSM back to _DSM
      • In the TPL0 device change XDSM back to _DSM
      • Insert the following line into the TPL0 device
        • Name (_ADR, Zero)
      • Change the HECI device to IMEI
  • SSDT 0, 1, 4-8, 17
    • Rename GFX0 to IGPU
  • SSDT 2, 3
    • Rename GFX0 to IGPU
  • SSDT 16
    • In the Definition Block add the following
      • External (_SB_.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, DeviceObj)
    • Rename GFX0 to IGPU
    • For the volume keys to function, in Method _Q30 ONLY
      • Search for VBPS, 0x02 and add the following after the if statement bracket
        • Notify (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x0430)
      • Search for VBPS, 0x03 and add the following after the if statement bracket
        • Notify (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, 0x042E)

FaceTime / iMessage

You’ll notice in the included config.plist under the SMBIOS section, I have some Xs in the Serial Number and MLB sections.  This is because you need to have one that is unique to your device while not being tied to an actual MacBook for iMessage, etc to function.  There are a couple of ways to accomplish this, you can use Clover Configurator (probably easiest) to generate a serial using the shake buttons or you can simply make up some numbers/letters to replace the Xs.  Once you have a serial you would like to try, go to  http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

Paste in your serial number, hit the robot dohicky, and click Lookup.

If you’re greeted with a machine description, then your serial number is valid and correctly formatted.  If not, pick another. 

When you have one that is correct, go to https://checkcoverage.apple.comand check the serial number again.  If you get the message that it is not valid, you are good to go and can use that serial number.  If you are greeted with the picture of a MacBook and warranty information – STOP, pick another serial and repeat the whole process.  This means that you have picked one that belongs to a physical MacBook that somebody owns.  Using the serial number won’t work and will likely get your Apple ID banned.

Now, you need to add an MLB to Rt Variables, all I have ever done is taken my serial number and added 5 hex digits to the end.  You also need to add a unique ROM to the same section.  I always use the MAC address of my wifi.

Once you have all of this set up and saved in your config.plist, reboot and enjoy!

VoodooI2C

The main project is located here - https://github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C

Compiled from the master, you will only have single touch functionality.

If you want all the gestures I demonstrated in the video, then either use the VoodooI2C kext I attached or build it with XCode from my fork here - https://github.com/blankmac/VoodooI2C/tree/FiveFingerGestures/VoodooI2C

Available Gestures

• Two Finger Scrolling
  • Three Finger Swipes (These are stock and don’t need configuring)
    • Left – Control+LeftArrow – Mission Contrrol move one desktop left
    • Right – Control+RightArrow – MC move one desktop right
    • Up – Control+UpArrow – Show Mission Control
    • Down – Show Application Window
  • Four Finger Swipes (Some need setup)
    • Left – Command+Q  Quit application
    • Down – Command+W Close Window (Or tab in a browser)
    • Right – F11 Show Desktop
    • Up – Control+F11 LaunchPad (must turn it on and set the shortcut in System Preferences)
  • Five Finger Swipes (Some need setup)
    • Left – Control+F9 Show notification center (must setup in System Preferences)
    • Down – Command+F11 Turn Dock hiding on/off (must setup in System Preferences)
    • Right – Command+Space Show Spotlight search
    • Up – Control+F10 In my system this launches an automator service which launches ‘KeyUp’, an onscreen keyboard app.  Highly recommended, but set this shortcut or any of the preceding to whatever you prefer, obviously.

I extrapolated the four and five finger gestures as the original project stops at three and was intended for a trackpad.  The developer of the gesture engine (@CoolStar on github) has said he may add additional ones.  As long as I own the Elite, I will continue to update and refine the touchscreen where and when possible.

CLOVER-INSTALLUSB.zip

HPElite-DSDT-SSDT-Patches.zip

PostInstallKexts.zip

refs.txt

• Like 5

big Thanks for the teaser :)

what are your Elite X2 specs?

My X2 was delivered three days ago.. missing keyboard, wrong power supply.. ;-( so I'm waiting for the replacement unit :(

So I will join as soon as my unit arrives.

wifi is a Broadcom bcm94352z card?

big Thanks for the teaser :)

what are your Elite X2 specs?

My X2 was delivered three days ago.. missing keyboard, wrong power supply.. ;-( so I'm waiting for the replacement unit :(

So I will join as soon as my unit arrives.

wifi is a Broadcom bcm94352z card?

I have the Core M5 unit with VPro.  It originally came with a 256GB HD but I replaced it with a 1TB SanDisk Drive.  I'm probably going to get a 1TB Samsung EVO NVMe drive in the next month or so.

That really sucks that your order was messed up!  Hopefully they won't take to long getting you a replacement.

The stock wi-fi is an Intel model so it needs to be replaced.  I used the Dell DW1560. It's probably best to buy it direct from Dell as the first one I bought on Ebay was counterfeit and had issues.  :-/

Just about done with the initial draft of the guide and will probably have it up later....

Hi blankmac,

today I received the replacement unit - everything looks great about it *thumbs up* it's the m5 without vPro (L5H20EA)

How did you proceed with replacing the ssd? I mean, isn't the pre-installed win10pro "bound" to the harddrive? I remember reading something right from the start when win10 was released.

Or can I somehow clone the small ssd to my SanDisk X400 1TB without loosing windows? My goal is the same as yours, dualboot osx and windows.

Thanks in advance.

Already updated from bios 1.18 to to 1.19 and will prepare my osx-usb drive next.

Hi blankmac,

today I received the replacement unit - everything looks great about it *thumbs up* it's the m5 without vPro (L5H20EA)

How did you proceed with replacing the ssd? I mean, isn't the pre-installed win10pro "bound" to the harddrive? I remember reading something right from the start when win10 was released.

Or can I somehow clone the small ssd to my SanDisk X400 1TB without loosing windows? My goal is the same as yours, dualboot osx and windows.

Thanks in advance.

Already updated from bios 1.18 to to 1.19 and will prepare my osx-usb drive next.

No need to clone it.  Windows 10 is bound to the device itself not the SSD, it will automatically be activated no matter what drive you put in there.  

Don't forget you have to replace the Intel Wifi card as well for working wifi.

No need to clone it. Windows 10 is bound to the device itself not the SSD, it will automatically be activated no matter what drive you put in there.

Don't forget you have to replace the Intel Wifi card as well for working wifi.

even though the system gets activated the first time with the pre installed drive?!

nice to know, I read that one has to call Microsoft after switching harddrives.

the Dell wifi card is already on my desk;-)

Tonight, I will prepare everything for the osx installation tomorrow - and play around with the stock OS in the meantime to check out the tablet (did not have a chance the first time because of the wrong power supply/cord).

-- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

even though the system gets activated the first time with the pre installed drive?!

nice to know, I read that one has to call Microsoft after switching harddrives.

the Dell wifi card is already on my desk;-)

Tonight, I will prepare everything for the osx installation tomorrow - and play around with the stock OS in the meantime to check out the tablet (did not have a chance the first time because of the wrong power supply/cord).

You won't need to call Microsoft, promise.

Win10 isn't bad at all IMO, and certainly much more touch friendly than OSX.  The OS X gestures make it usable by reducing the need to interact with the small system UI elements.  Just be careful of the ribbon cables when cracking it open and as I said before, be careful when reassembling.  If I had just tried to snap everything back together like they do in the video, I'm quite sure I would have broken a tab on the screen.

I checked again, the BIOS has a pre-coded win10pro key. all good, thanks :)

But damn, my suction tool has not arrived in time - it took me a lot of time to get the display separated.

Already changed the ssd but I'm looking at a bit of a cable problem for the wifi card.. one cable seems to be too short to rearrange because the DW1560 has different spots to put them in place (if I connect them according to black / white )  :(

Intel card:

1 / black

2 / white

Dell card:

J1 / black

J0 / white

If I connect them correctly, the white spot cable is lying right beneath the touchpanel, not properly arranged around the original bracket.

how did you do that?

changed the spots in compare to the original?

for anyone not familiar with the device, the wifi cables come from the right side (according to the thumbnails attached)

Alright.. been arguing with myself for quite some time.. finally snapped the display back.. let's check how it goes..

post-854781-0-83030400-1482008843_thumb.jpg

post-854781-0-28882000-1482008850_thumb.jpg

I checked again, the BIOS has a pre-coded win10pro key. all good, thanks :)

But damn, my suction tool has not arrived in time - it took me a lot of time to get the display separated.

Already changed the ssd but I'm looking at a bit of a cable problem for the wifi card.. one cable seems to be too short to rearrange because the DW1560 has different spots to put them in place (if I connect them according to black / white )  :(

Intel card:

1 / black

2 / white

Dell card:

J1 / black

J0 / white

If I connect them correctly, the white spot cable is lying right beneath the touchpanel, not properly arranged around the original bracket.

how did you do that?

changed the spots in compare to the original?

for anyone not familiar with the device, the wifi cables come from the right side (according to the thumbnails attached)

Alright.. been arguing with myself for quite some time.. finally snapped the display back.. let's check how it goes..

It can be done either way, quite honestly, but you do have to pull the cable out of the slots where it's routed to get everything to reach.  Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I have mine reversed.

**Edit - yeah, I just checked and mine are opposite - black to white, white to black.

G'day,

ssd prepared, partitioned 50/50 for OSX/Windows, installed El Capitan, installed Clover to Macintosh HD, applied the PostInstall kexts, removed AppleIntelLpssI2C*.kext's, extracted ACPI, installed Windows again and changed win bootloader.

But now I'm stuck..

I will list them so you can use them directly from RehabMan’s repository except the few I had to build specifically for the Elite X2 or you can use the preassembled and attached files to patch with. 

First we start with disassembly.  Mount your EFI partition and navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin/

Copy the DSDT and all the SSDT files to a folder on your desktop.  Add refs.txt to the folder from the patching .zip.

Open up the Terminal, navigate to the folder and type the following –

iasl -da -dl -fe refs.txt *.aml

I cannot find the refs.txt file you are referring to ("patching .zip") - where do I get that? It's not on your files or any other link provided.

Thanks again for your support!

G'day,

ssd prepared, partitioned 50/50 for OSX/Windows, installed El Capitan, installed Clover to Macintosh HD, applied the PostInstall kexts, removed AppleIntelLpssI2C*.kext's, extracted ACPI, installed Windows again and changed win bootloader.

But now I'm stuck..

I cannot find the refs.txt file you are referring to ("patching .zip") - where do I get that? It's not on your files or any other link provided.

Thanks again for your support!

Sorry!  Attached to the first post.  Thanks for being the test monkey!.  Let me know if there is anything else that was/is confusing.

• Like 1

No need to be sorry. You basically installed everything yourself on my X2 - I'm just the young padawan learning from the master :)

My last hackintosh was about three years ago, based on desktop hardware; time flies and so do the tools. If I find the time I will definitely dive into the background of everything you brought to the table with your files - don't like to do things that I don't completely understand.

Well, it looks good so far. Everything patched and working.

I might reconnect the wifi cables if I find the time, just to be sure.

And I will definitely try to change the boot behavior; renaming the /EFI/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi fast forwards me to clover on startup, without using the volume down button, thats good - the bad thing is, the windows entry disappears from the clover boot menu as well. After all, OSX is my main OS since 2008.

Thank you again for your help in making this possible - even my wife thinks it's cool :D

edit:

if you need someone to test your ideas, count on me ;-)

• Like 1

No need to be sorry. You basically installed everything yourself on my X2 - I'm just the young padawan learning from the master :)

My last hackintosh was about three years ago, based on desktop hardware; time flies and so do the tools. If I find the time I will definitely dive into the background of everything you brought to the table with your files - don't like to do things that I don't completely understand.

Well, it looks good so far. Everything patched and working.

I might reconnect the wifi cables if I find the time, just to be sure.

And I will definitely try to change the boot behavior; renaming the /EFI/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi fast forwards me to clover on startup, without using the volume down button, thats good - the bad thing is, the windows entry disappears from the clover boot menu as well. After all, OSX is my main OS since 2008.

Thank you again for your help in making this possible - even my wife thinks it's cool :D

Hmmmm...Clover should pick up Windows by scanning. I've never had that happen so I'm not quite sure what the issue might be. Glad it's mostly working tho! It's the best of both worlds for sure. If you make any refinements or figure out anything else I've missed, post it back here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, I'll keep you posted.

After going back and forth with the windows .efi file it's now booting to clover and showing the windows partition correctly.

Now I'm really missing bluetooth connectivity, never thought I relied so much on it ;-)

Does anyone know of a nano usb dongle with bt 4.x support on OSX?!

blankmac, did you remember if the original combi card worked on OSX for the bluetooth part?!

Of course, I'll keep you posted.

After going back and forth with the windows .efi file it's now booting to clover and showing the windows partition correctly.

Now I'm really missing bluetooth connectivity, never thought I relied so much on it ;-)

Does anyone know of a nano usb dongle with bt 4.x support on OSX?!

blankmac, did you remember if the original combi card worked on OSX for the bluetooth part?!

Yes, of course it works! You need the Brcmpatchram2 and brcmfirmwarerepo kexts. They are linked in the guide as well as being included in the zip.

OMG, I bought the DW1560 as a 'wifi card' on Amazon; no mentioning of bt.

So I never checked in the preference pane.

My bad! sorry, works of course.

edit:

any news on the tb3 support with the new MBP arriving?!

OMG, I bought the DW1560 as a 'wifi card' on Amazon; no mentioning of bt.

So I never checked in the preference pane.

My bad! sorry, works of course.

edit:

any news on the tb3 support with the new MBP arriving?!

If it did work, it would only be with Sierra. I've booted Sierra but haven't delved too deeply into getting things working.

Ran into a weird problem:

Trying to play a movie from iTunes (which I bought yesterday) gives me an error complaining about the display "can only be played on displays that support HDCP".

I'm pretty sure it's not the displays fault but with the integration of OSX or the communication display to OS.

edit:

found some shiki stuff, will look into that..

Trying to play a movie from iTunes (which I bought yesterday) gives me an error complaining about the display "can only be played on displays that support HDCP".

I'm pretty sure it's not the displays fault but with the integration of OSX or the communication display to OS.

edit:

Hmm...I'll have to look into that. I don't ever rent/buy movies from iTunes so I haven't encountered the problem. I'm currently overseas, but when I get back home I'll do some testing.

Trying to play a movie from iTunes (which I bought yesterday) gives me an error complaining about the display "can only be played on displays that support HDCP".

edit:

Wow, just tried it and I have the same problem. I never knew this was an issue with hacks. I guess the only choice you have is to find a program to strip out the drm (there are many apparently). This pretty much confirms for me that it doesn't pay to buy music or movies from iTunes. If it's something I can't stream on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, I usually just buy the disc and rip it anyway. Then I can control the size, etc.

It's working without any problems in my win10 installation.

Maybe you can take a look at Shiki, it's on InsanelyMac as well. Unfortunately, I don't understand much of the code itself :-(

I guess there might be other scenarios where we're unable to use things as HDCP is an important thing in digital media nowadays.

It's working without any problems in my win10 installation.

Maybe you can take a look at Shiki, it's on InsanelyMac as well. Unfortunately, I don't understand much of the code itself :-(

I guess there might be other scenarios where we're unable to use things as HDCP is an important thing in digital media nowadays.

I'll just strip the DRM if for some reason I buy something from iTunes. Shiki is distributing a binary and not providing the source so there's really no telling what's in it. I'll pass on that.

• 2 weeks later...