Apple: Form vs. Function

Swad

162 posts in this topic

Bioshock actually has been more reccomended to run on a 360, Bioshock isn't that terribly hard on computers, but you can set Bioshock to run on the 360 with vertical refresh and run at 30 fps, or set that off and Bioshock stays at a cool 60 fps. The UE3 was made for consoles practically.

Irregardless, if you have a decent enough PC you're still going to get better performace, no?

• 1 month later...
Bioshock is actually quite demanding. I had the chance to play on big screen with a BEAST of a PC and it was so much better than it was on the 360.

As it would, the PC can run at much higher resolutions then the 360. If you were running a 30" on its native resolution (sorry I cant remember it exactly) you would be getting a better then HD picture and chances are you would be able to run it a nice frame rate if you had a 8800 or something like that.

• 1 month later...

As far as I can see they have both form and function in their hardware. Think of Magsafe, multi touch trackpad, or the ipod touch wheel.

I cant think of any negatives to their hardware except: poor pricing sometimes, poor upgradability, and lack of ports.

and aesthetics are totally under valued by allot of people.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't care less what a desktop computer looks like- as far as I'm concerned, the tower part of the computer should evolve into something that's virtually never seen. Someday I want to install it inside a wall panel somewhere, plug in the ports, and interface it elsewhere. That'd be forward thinking, not designing a prettier box that sits out and takes up more space. As it is now, I put my boxes in the closet and run the cables through the walls- all I want on my desk are nice looking dual monitors, and a nice looking wireless keyboard and mouse. What does the hardware look like? To me it's a little like giving a {censored} what the engine of my car looks like. I just want it to perform. I'll only see it when I open the hood, and few other people will ever see it. It it was all shiny and chrome plated, sure, I guess that'd be cool, but frankly, unless it's also a better engine, it's looks won't do jack squat for me.

Now the OS- that's another story. OSX is truly the best looking operating system, and it's a joy to use. I admire Apple from that standpoint, they can sure design a great operating system, and I appreciate all the attention to detail in Leopard in particular. Being able to run OSX on non-Apple hardware is the absolute best of both worlds to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
PC gaming is dying, there's no denying that.

BUZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Wrong answer. You're most definitely making that up. Read the link below.

Just one link.

A quote from that article...

"Worldwide [PC online gaming] sales support that argument - they soared last year, to $11.3 billion from $9.3 billion in 2006, according to DFC Intelligence, a market research and consulting firm based in San Diego."

And if you were interested in the facts, you'd have done at least a cursory search. But it was easier just to lie, hoping nobody would call you on it, huh?

Tsk, tsk.

• 8 months later...
BUZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Wrong answer. You're most definitely making that up. Read the link below.

Just one link.

A quote from that article...

"Worldwide [PC online gaming] sales support that argument - they soared last year, to $11.3 billion from $9.3 billion in 2006, according to DFC Intelligence, a market research and consulting firm based in San Diego."

And if you were interested in the facts, you'd have done at least a cursory search. But it was easier just to lie, hoping nobody would call you on it, huh?

Tsk, tsk.

I doubt he's lying, that's a pretty serious accusation. More likely he's just misinformed.

As for the figures, your conclusion still likely holds true, but you have to remember to compare that growth in the PC market to the growth in the console market. One alone means jack.

but you have to remember to compare that growth in the PC market to the growth in the console market. One alone means jack.

+1

The console market is accelerating in growth

US PC Game Total Sales

2005 - $1.4 billion

US Console & Handheld Game Software Sales

2005 - $6.1 billion (190.5 million units)

and heres the link

http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=15831

• 5 months later...

At the recent Startup Lessons Learned conference, one of the speakers quoted Steve Jobs as having once said something like "Design is not just how something looks. Design is how something works." Apparently he was just echoing a meme in the design community:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp...is+how+it+works

There are all sorts of "pretty" products produced these days, but most of them don't actually work as well as they look. Apple manages to take good design all the way to the core of the product.