Broadcom Netxtreme 57xx with semthex kernel

Aint2Fat

31 posts in this topic

It doesnt work for me, the system freeze @ boot with these two rows right after "Jettisoning kernel linker."

"AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId="

"AppleBCM5751Ethernet: 1 1659 setPowerLevels - returning early, have a 5721. onoff=, fPciDeviceId="

I had this exact same problem on a Dimension 8400 after installing the nisa drivers today. A clean install of 10.4.8 was done with most things working (but no network). I then used these instructions to get a network card driver:

1. unpack AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

2. move AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/

3. open Terminal

4. sudo -s

5. chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

6. cd /System/Library/Extensions/

7. chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

8. reboot

After reboot I got the Jettising Kernel Linker error quoted above.

Then I followed another poster's advice and disabled the NIC in the BIOS and rebooted. Next I ran the Disk Utility and did a Repair Permissions. Shut down, re-enable NIC. Reboot. Done.

As soon as it booted I clicked the Safari icon and I'm instantly surfing Apple's home page!

Ok, last try diffrent approach!

1. Place "AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext" in "/System/Library/Extensions/"

2. Open console and type:

"Sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions"

"Sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions"

3. Delete "Extensions.kextcache" and "Extensions.mkext" from "/System/Library/"

4. Repair Disk Permissions with Disk Utility

5. Reboot

6. Enter Bios and change:

"SATA Operations" to "Combination"

"Integrated NIC" to "Off"

7. Boot OSX (important to boot osx with NIC off to initialize SATA corectly)

8. Repair Disk Permissions with Disk Utility

9. Reboot

10. Enter Bios and change:

"Integrated NIC" to "On"

11. Boot OSX, It should work now!!

If someone get their network going, following thes steps, please add a replay!

/Aint2Fat

works for me

Thanks alot!!

• 3 weeks later...

I too have a Dell Dimension 8400, with the Broadcom 5721 id 1677.

I had to change the SATA mode to combination before OSX would let me network. I also had to change my network settings from "automatic" to "manual with dhcp", and specify my own ip address. Then it all started working. My MAC address is all the zeros, and it crashes if I try to set it with ifconfig, but I've got internet, so it doesn't matter. I'm typing this in OSX now.

The only downer is that Windows will not boot unless I set the SATA mode back again. oh well.

The other thing I noticed is that with the SATA mode set to "combination" OSX is Sooooooo much faster.

• 1 year later...

Slightly old but I have tried to get this to work on my computer recently and after the first reboot from Aint2Fat's guide I have a kernel panic. "Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\""

With Combination on and nic off. And I have tried it with the nic on and the same thing happens. I have Dell Dimension 8400 with The Broadcom 5721 id 1677 and I have no idea what to do

Is there a better way of doing it or am I just screwed?