Keep Bluetooth devices paired once between Mac/Windows

Denicio

29 posts in this topic

Any way for this to function using 2 different bluetooth adapters?

On win10 I use the internal bluetooth adapter and on Sierra I use an external. 

Tried to simply put the reg keys in the proper adapter key in the registry, yet that didn't do it. Seems as though there could be a hash being made using the adapter's mac address or similar, so not sure if it's possible...yet if anybody recommends a functional workaround, I would CERTAINLY appreciate that. 

Thanks in advance! 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Figure I will share what I figured out. Using the https://github.com/OpenIntelWireless/IntelBluetoothFirmware I am able to use my motherboard's (asus tuf gaming z390m-pro wifi) internal bluetooth module (intel wireless 9560) in both OS's. As of this post I am running 10.15.5 and Windows 10.

Here's a step by step of the procedure that worked for me: 

1. First pair the devices on windows (this creates a bluetooth entry in the windows registry for the device)
2. Download and extract PsExec from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx
3. Place contents in c:\portable\pstools
4. Restart in MacOS and pair the devices
5. For MacOS High Sierra and onwards, from Terminal run: sudo defaults read /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetoothd.plist LinkKeys
6. copy the output and save in a way you are able to access this information in windows (email perhaps?)
7. Reboot into Windows
8. Open a command prompt as admin and run: c:\portable\pstools\psexec -s -i regedit
9. Once the Windows registry opens navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BTHPORT\Parameters\Keys
10. Locate the bluetooth controller using its hardware ID, click on it (I had multiple bc I previously was using a dongle)
11. Each devices's hardware ID should be in that subfolder, and it should match the data from com.apple.bluetoothd.plist
12. right click to modify the key
13. Using the corresponding data from com.apple.bluetoothd.plist change the key in the windows registry. As noted  mac and windows both store the key in pairs, but the order of the pairs are reversed. The actual key will have 16 pairs, but say the mac key is 0x3459wsa94kd940, then in the windows registry you enter 40 d9 4k a9 ws 59 34 (ignore the 0x).
14. Close the registry and pair the device. The device should now pair in both environments.