Wacom MobileStudio Pro

alexway

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

the new Wacom MobileStudio Pro has just been release in two flavors (13.3 and 15.6"). Would love to know if the (close to) 16" model can run MacOS ?

Has someone tried it yet or planning to try ? Is there a way to know if it will work without buying and trying ? 

Wonder if anyone has managed to make OS X work well with Nvidia mobile Quadro. It seems it may be possible http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273621-guide-os-x-lion-on-thinkpad-w520/

Also would be interesting to assemble an installing guide like there is one for the Cintiq Companion 2.

Alex

• Like 1

Hey, alexway!

I was thinking them same, mate, it will be nice to put our hands on it and try, I think it's the only way to check if it's possible ^_^

I'm not planning to buy it, no thanks, those prices are completely insane in my opinion. And I'm a freelance artist and I think it will be a great machine but for the same i5/128GB model, I will need to pay 300€ more than I did when Companion 2 was launched (which I bought just because it was able to boot OSX, btw). And it doesn't come with cover, stand, cable/link.... So I'm keeping my CC2 until it dies I think... well, unless we check OSX is possible in this new device ;)

16" models come with these CPUs and Graphics:

DTH-W1620M:Intel Core i5-6267U (2.9GHz) 
DTH-W1620H:Intel Core i7-6567U (3.3 GHz)

DTH-W1620M:NVIDIA® Quadro® M600M 2GB GDDR5 
DTH-W1620H:NVIDIA® Quadro® M1000M 4GB GDDR5

13" models say only:

6th generation Intel® Core™ processors

Intel® Iris™ Graphics 550

They probably mount same CPU models I think. It these are supported (regarding Nvidia Quadro as you asked) I think it will be possible to install OSX.

Hey Bertolin, thanks for joining the discussion. I'm willing to try but will not buy it right away. I am a bit scared because last time I bought the Cintiq Companion 2 with the Broadwell and I never could make it work under OS X. Well I resold it quickly because of it.

You have a lot of experience with this, can you tell me what would be the necessary steps to check this ? What modification you think needs to be done compared to the Cintiq Companion 2 install steps ?

What do you think will work out of the box and what may need custom work ?

Regarding the MobileStudio 16" I must say that I'm really excited by the larger screen size. Too bad they did not went for 4:3 or at least 16:10 aspect ratio. Love the aspect ratio on my iPad Pro too bad the pencil is not has good as a wacom one in term of sensitivity. Wacom has indeed gone stingy on the accessories even for the new Cintiq Pro won't come with the ExpressKey (which sells for an additional $100) !

Still hesitating on the Cintiq Pro 16" vs the MobileStudio Pro 16 but if the MobileStudio Pro 16" runs OS X it's a no brainer. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Hey Bertolin, thanks for joining the discussion. I'm willing to try but will not buy it right away. I am a bit scared because last time I bought the Cintiq Companion 2 with the Broadwell and I never could make it work under OS X. Well I resold it quickly because of it.

You have a lot of experience with this, can you tell me what would be the necessary steps to check this ? What modification you think needs to be done compared to the Cintiq Companion 2 install steps ?

Regarding the MobileStudio 16" I must say that I'm really excited by the larger screen size. Too bad they did not went for 4:3 or at least 16:10 aspect ratio. Love the aspect ratio on my iPad Pro too bad the pencil is not has good as a wacom one in term of sensitivity. Wacom has indeed gone stingy on the accessories even for the new Cintiq Pro won't come with the ExpressKey (which sells for an additional $100) !

Still hesitating on the Cintiq Pro 16" vs the MobileStudio Pro 16 but if the MobileStudio Pro 16" runs OS X it's a no brainer. Thanks for your help.

If the device has both an integrated and discrete graphics card (Intel and an nVidia), it is unlikely you will get the nVidia card running (except in special cases where the Intel one can be switched off). Also keep in mind that if the touchscreen is USB then the only multitouch drivers out there (provided Wacom don't make their own) are proprietary and pretty costly (touchbase). If the touchscreen is I2C then its unlikely you'd get multitouch for the time being.

• Like 1

Hi, alexway! Glad to be part of this, mate :)

If you check my last post in mactabletman guide, you will see schwarzgrau was able to install El Capitan in a i7-5557U/Iris 6100 Companion 2 with almost everything working. We just need to change a couples of thing in my injector to make all usb ports works exactly as they did in Yosemite (but for now they are all working). He achieved CPU power management and found a proper ig-platform-id to inject so he has most important things working well.

Thanks for trusting my skills, mate, but I don't have a lot of experience LOL. I just tested and read a lot of stuff and now I'm starting to understand how and why I did that or what. So when I realized some improvements to mactabletman guide could be done, I wrote mine to install macOS Sierra in order to give back to the community, help others, etc. I hope some of you will find it useful :)

MobileStudio comes with Skylake CPUs, and Skylake is early supported so it needs some search, but I think it could be supported in Pike's script. For what I know Skylake Intel Graphics 550 is supported only if config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x19268086 (and FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext) (credits: RehabMan). So it seems it could be a good hack. It probably needs similar things to be done/patched/replaced than Companion 2.

If the device has both an integrated and discrete graphics card (Intel and an nVidia), it is unlikely you will get the nVidia card running (except in special cases where the Intel one can be switched off). Also keep in mind that if the touchscreen is USB then the only multitouch drivers out there (provided Wacom don't make their own) are proprietary and pretty costly (touchbase). If the touchscreen is I2C then its unlikely you'd get multitouch for the time being.

Glad to hear from you too, alex.dadoud! You're a coder so you surely know better what's possible than me, mate!

Touchscreen in Companion 2 was never a problem. In Yosemite is natively supported as a one click mouse even in the installer (no multitouch support). In El Capitan/Sierra it isn't (I guess because how OSX USB management has changed). But in any case, once you install Wacom drivers, you have full touch and pen support.

If I'm right you are developing an I2C driver, right? I read some thread here in tablet forum and you get some touch screen working, congrats, sir! I also read your driver may help to add support for rotation sensor, am I right? I can be a guinea pig for this if you want with my Haswell Companion 2 :)

• 1 month later...

Oh finally someone who talks about the Mobilestudio Pro! :)

I got one a week ago (13 inch, i7) and searched google from a to z to find a thread about a hackintosh version lol

Are there any news? Windows 10 is ok, but I prefer (like the past 16 years) OS X instead. And having the Mobilestudio Pro with OS X is a real dream. ;)

And by the way - back to the Cintiq Companion 2 and OS X - is there any palm rejection? I know the pen and touch seems to work, but I have no idea if the palm rejection works aswell. That is something I really like about the Mobilestudio Pro. Even if it takes a few seconds to switch between the two.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

nah I pretty much like the MobileStudio Pro as it is. Before I bought it, I looked around to see if there are any alternatives, but the hardware of the MobileStudio Pro is really great. I would love to see a teardown, but until now... no one did it. And to be honest, I have no idea how to open the tablet. I don't even understand how they managed to get all the hardware inside, since it's a unibody. I bought it with 8GB of ram, but hope for a upgrade solution like the Companion 2. 

Is the tablet not even considered to be a hackintosh computer? I mean this seems to be the only forum with only _one_ thread about getting macOS on it. And I found one video comment on youtube.

Is it so easy to get macOS on other platforms that no one asks? I never tried it before but watched like 400 videos about it lol

• Like 1

nah I pretty much like the MobileStudio Pro as it is. Before I bought it, I looked around to see if there are any alternatives, but the hardware of the MobileStudio Pro is really great. I would love to see a teardown, but until now... no one did it. And to be honest, I have no idea how to open the tablet. I don't even understand how they managed to get all the hardware inside, since it's a unibody. I bought it with 8GB of ram, but hope for a upgrade solution like the Companion 2. 

Is the tablet not even considered to be a hackintosh computer? I mean this seems to be the only forum with only _one_ thread about getting macOS on it. And I found one video comment on youtube.

Is it so easy to get macOS on other platforms that no one asks? I never tried it before but watched like 400 videos about it lol

Hi this is for wacom question, what is the usual distance to hover the pen above the surface that still detected?

• 5 months later...

Hey was trying to see if it would be possible to osSierra (10.2.6) on my 16" mobilestudio. Wanted to know if anyone has come across this error when trying to boot up from a fresh usb with clover (2.4.4200) and if there is any way to get around it, or are my hope and dreams of running OS on this beautiful machine dead.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0RqHcYBOK_oS0pXc01qc1lzejlScWdRRFpPUHNyQjE5QkE0

I've read that removing problematic kexts can help but it didn't solve the issue

P.S. my knowledge with creating a hackintosh is very minimal

• 1 year later...

I have a MSP 16 inch version. I find it rather sluggish in comparison to my workstation. On light 3D work it will do the job.
Don't expect it to be smooth on bigger scenes...the cpu is not that great. 16 is more than enough, big scenes that need that much ram, are not workable on the wacom.

If 3D is your main work, I would search for a better cpu based laptop + a XP-Pen Artist 15.6 Pro pen tablet monitor vs the all-in-one . Like the new 4core or 6cores. I use it mainly for drawing and touch ups.

Note: portable it's fine for sketches, when doing intensive work you need to plug in. I bought one of those laptop stance with ventilation to fight the heat throttling.