Want 10.4.8? Think you 'have' 10.4.8? It's out!

cmoski

233 posts in this topic

If you still have the old dvd version, don't delete it. I kept mine in the share and Azureus started at 30% after scraping. Why? It seems that 30% of the files are identically, so if you want to save time etc. just let the old release in the share when starting the torrent.

you don't need an oink invite if you go for demonoid.

If you still have the old dvd version, don't delete it. I kept mine in the share and Azureus started at 30% after scraping. Why? It seems that 30% of the files are identically, so if you want to save time etc. just let the old release in the share when starting the torrent.

Damm, I guess there is nothing to lose. I will give it a try too.

EDIT: Ok, that seems to have work, I got a little less than 30% by replacing the new ISO with the old, "force re-checking" and then restarting.

Edited:

Known Issues:

The GMA 900 kernel extensions do not function properly. When installing, select the GMA package, but after installation go into single user mode and remove the GMA 950 kexts. Then, fix the permissions on the GMA 900 package. After this, everything should function great!

Does that mean that after removing the 950 kexts, that QE/CI will work for the 900s?

Damm, I guess there is nothing to lose. I will give it a try too.

Thats what I thought, too :)

Anyway, my azureus hash is 09B91456DCFEF6DEF3E096A440DF0A2C8F507A11

(in azureus doubleclick torrent and look it up, paste it via click to clipboard)

The GMA 900 kernel extensions do not function properly. When installing, select the GMA package, but after installation go into single user mode and remove the GMA 950 kexts. Then, fix the permissions on the GMA 900 package. After this, everything should function great!

Just want to be clear on this. Please correct me if the steps I am listing are incorrect.

1. Install 10.4.8 with the GMA Package Selected.

2. Boot into single user (on boot F8 then -s)

3. Delete anything that says "AppleIntelGMA950" in System\Library\Extensions

4. Reboot?

5. Copy the GMA package off the DVD?

6. Repair permissions?

7. Reinstall the GMA package from your hard drive?

-----

Next question....

Do you still have to manually set your FSB speed for both the Mifki and Semethex (butchered spelling) kernels? Are either of these autodetecting FSB yet? For clarification if you do still have to set you FSB manually, how exactly do you do that?

-----

JaS, Mifki, Seme, and everyone else who has been working so hard on this, thank you again!

Should I be installing this for the Intel D945GNT board that uses the GMA 950 onboard graphics subsystem? Or is there another kext/package that I should use?

Should I be installing this for the Intel D945GNT board that uses the GMA 950 onboard graphics subsystem? Or is there another kext/package that I should use?

If you watch the photo in the first post from Jas, you'll see that there is an installation option specifically for GMA 950, so you should probably ignore the GMA 950 option. Good luck!

I see that many peers have started seeding the exact 30% portion that went very fast on the last torrent. I'm really affraid that this torrent too will be poisoned. WHY DIDN'T YOU USED RAR?? :((((

Torrents use hashchecking, so this should not be problem. If it were so easy to corrupt torrents, the RIAA and MPAA would be doing it constantly and the torrent system would not work at all.

I do not know what happened with the first JaS 10.4.8 seed, but I am still not convinced it was in fact corrupted by RatioMaster (or whatever) either. [sorry, Jas].

Hm,

Azureus is *very* picky if data is incorrect. It should compare the data one by one

and only if everything is exactly as it should, it will take the data. Also we don't know

if the "fast 30%" are the corrupted part and - just in case that it is corrupt - , then it

should have been corrupt in the new version, too. Imho the 30% has been seeded so

fast just because they were seeded first.

Also, just the bootsector from 10.4.4 has been taken in the new torrent. This is not 30%

of the disk :D

Of course the only way to find out would be to test it. I think if s.o. considers a

repack and reseed (maybe rar) this will take some time, so we should just go on

downloading until we know :(

I am announcing FULL SUCCESS (finally .. :( )with JaS latest release incl. the ppf-patch, as shared on demonoid (don't PM me for the link, just search there for JaS and you will find it!):

in custom install:

- installed with "Semthex Kernel" and "10.4.4 Loginwindow" activated

- first also checked "Mac OS 10.4.8 USB Update", but that hosed all of my USB after restart. So I installed again, this time without USB Update

--> went throught to GUI without any problems (as always I had to temporarily disable LAN in BIOS to avoid kernel crash, but I know that).

- "About this Mac" does not crash, but "More Info" (System Profiler)/ Hardware (1st entry) says "There was an error gathering this information"

- installed Omni's Titan.kext, rebooted - full resolution, QE/CI, just unbelievable ..

- pressed reboot - Laptop boots down, fans keep spinning, screen stays black no matter how long I wait, that's it. I need to press the power button briefly to have my Laptop restart. That's a bug of Titan.kext, because as soon as I deactivate Titan restart works again

- cleared Extension caches and tried Mifki's kernel with -v fsb=166 - boot halts. Disable one CPU Core, Mac OS x86 boots through. Restart, Titan causes my Laptop to sort of hang again. Re-Enable 2nd CPU Core in BIOS, boot Mac OS with Mifki's Kernel, this time it works. I reboot again, still works. OK

- switch back to Semthex kernel without any problem and successfully install all Updates via Software update, that's where I am right now. Alltogether pretty happy apart from the "Titan-preventing-restart-bug" and will wire JaS & Co. some bucks in a lil bit :D

Looks as if it´s time to refresh your sig!!!!!! :)

I am announcing FULL SUCCESS (finally .. :( )with JaS latest release incl. the ppf-patch, as shared on demonoid (don't PM me for the link, just search there for JaS and you will find it!):

in custom install:

- installed with "Semthex Kernel" and "10.4.4 Loginwindow" activated

- first also checked "Mac OS 10.4.8 USB Update", but that hosed all of my USB after restart. So I installed again, this time without USB Update

--> went throught to GUI without any problems (as always I had to temporarily disable LAN in BIOS to avoid kernel crash, but I know that).

- "About this Mac" does not crash, but "More Info" (System Profiler)/ Hardware (1st entry) says "There was an error gathering this information"

- installed Omni's Titan.kext, rebooted - full resolution, QE/CI, just unbelievable ..

- pressed reboot - Laptop boots down, fans keep spinning, screen stays black no matter how long I wait, that's it. I need to press the power button briefly to have my Laptop restart. That's a bug of Titan.kext, because as soon as I deactivate Titan restart works again

- cleared Extension caches and tried Mifki's kernel with -v fsb=166 - boot halts. Disable one CPU Core, Mac OS x86 boots through. Restart, Titan causes my Laptop to sort of hang again. Re-Enable 2nd CPU Core in BIOS, boot Mac OS with Mifki's Kernel, this time it works. I reboot again, still works. OK

- switch back to Semthex kernel without any problem and successfully install all Updates via Software update, that's where I am right now. Alltogether pretty happy apart from the "Titan-preventing-restart-bug" and will wire JaS & Co. some bucks in a lil bit :D