Dell Optiplex 360

Whosondephone

11 posts in this topic

Just wanted to share my Dell Optiplex 360 setup.  On a real mac I downloaded Install Yosemite from the app store.  Created a USB installer then Installed Clover.  I did it so many times I can't remember exactly what I did.  I may have followed other guides on this sight that extracted bass system.dmg  I may have had to added FakeSMC or other kexts in the installer folders or simply add them to the kext injection folders under Clover.  

Sound, network, QE works!  Just change your graphics setup.  I find that if you're using ATI/AMD cards do not use graphics injection.  If you're using Nvidia, use graphics injection in clover.  The options for for installing clover on the USB are a little different.  I Installed clover on the computer with these options:
post-636549-0-86736100-1480128334_thumb.jpg

It might work with 10.12.  Just move the kext in the EFI folder from 10.10 to 10.12.

Thanks go to to TheKing for Slow SATA DSDT fix, Rehabman for FakeSMC and Hardware sensors, Adlan and Nawcom for the Network, InsanelyMacaholic for sound, Clover team, and many more!  I hope I got the names correct.  I have not gotten the app store working, and do not intend to.

Edit: I attached a new edited Clover config.plist I removed some information specific to my machine.  And corrected some settings.  Unfortunately I can not confirm that this will work.  The version of clover that I used was r3949.

Clover & Kexts.zip

config.plist.zip

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have been trying for about a week to install either Yosemite or El Capitan on my 360. It has an E8500, 4GB RAM, and a GT610 1GB. 

If you have any information stored about your setup of this (assuming you still have the system?) I would greatly appreciate if you could share with me. 

The closest I have been able to get to a successful install is that I used Yosemite Zone (out of sheer desperation; I wasn't too keen on using a distro...) and was able to install to my disk, boot into OSX after a restart, and let Zone do its thing for a bit. I then restarted once prompted, and now I can't get back into my install. I keep getting a "can't find root device" error, or something along those lines.

If you are willing to give me a hand, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Lets try to get Yosemite zone working first.  One of the reason's for can't find root device message is that your DSDT isn't properly patched.  I would recommend grabbing my DSDT.aml from the "Clover and Kexts.zip".  It is located at: EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched.  Copy that to the root of your install disk, using an external enclosure.  Type "/DSDT.aml PCIRootUID=4 -f" without quotes at chameleon boot loader.  /DSDT.aml tells clover to load the DSDT.  PCIRootUID=4 changes the PCIRootUID from the default value of 0 to 4, typically needed for Dells.  -f tells chameleon to ignore the boot cache.  Have you tried booting in safe mode? "-x"

I'm willing to bet that the cache is causing the problem.  The system didn't have a cache on the fist boot.  I recall relying on -f to boot while straightening things out.

If you are using clover.  You have to enter the DSDT location in the ACPI menu.  PCIRootUID=4 can be entered in the arguments. I believe the boot flags, -f -v -x for example, can as well.  Otherwise you can select those options by pressing space bar on the selected volume.

I would like to know if you can create a vanilla Yosemite USB installer drive off your PPC iMac.  Then run the clover installer.  The instillation to the USB drive should be done as mentioned above.  Except don't install any Drivers64UEFI or RC Scripts.

So I actually got Vanilla El Capitan up and running on my system using the kexts you have linked and the screenshots from clover.  Its up and running fine, but I can't get ethernet to work. 

I had a windows disk for this computer, and tried to install SteamOS as well, and found out... My NIC is dead! But that's alright; I ordered an OS X compatible USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapter from Amazon, and it should be here in 2 days.

That was the first thing I checked: the BIOS settings for onboard devices. I have updated the bios, and switched the NIC off and back on again to no avail.

Good news is, I have an OSX compatible USB 2.0 to Ethernet Adapter coming in the mail from Amazon today.

ended up having to downgrade to Yosemite due to some SIP issues. Buuuut its running fine now. Not having any luck with sound though...

What I thought was "running fine" was while I had the USB still plugged in to boot... Once I took it out... no boot whatsoever. I made sure to copy the EFI clover folder to the EFI folder on the boot disk. Nothing.

Bootaf in MBR would be when installing clover on the drive, correct? I assume not the USB Stick.  

And I was using Clover 2.4 r4061. Maybe I should reinstall and try an older version.

They way I'm interpreting the wiki is:

boot0af: flags the previously selected partition as active. 
boot0ss: simply boots an HFS partition and sets no flag.  Boot0ss is useful if dual booting windows. 

Either should work whether on the USB install disk or "Macintosh HD".  Is is important that you DO NOT install for UEFI Booting Only, and DO NOT install in the ESP.  If your still stuck you may want to try that other bios block option.  I'm not sure what that is.  Of course make sure your set to boot of hard disk in the BIOS.

I wouldn't recommend copying the folders over.  I would recommend you copy over the config.plist, dsdt.aml, and the kexts into the appropriate places in your EFI folder.  I would recommend moving the kexts from 10.10 folder to the “other” folder.  You most likely know to install the SLE kexts with kext utility or other method. 

I must confess that there is a chance that my config.plist may be wrong.  I was not aware that the cashe was allowing the system to boot... I was removing patches and boot flags and successfully rebooting and assuming they were not necessary.  I did try to make sure it was correct before posting here but the possibility remains something could be off.  Another possible Issue is clover and clover configurator has gone through extensive updates since I have done this.  I'm noticing that the screen shot is  r3763.  Clover versions ranging from should work r3763-r3949.  My Intel DH55TC failed to boot Yosemite after updating clover at one point.  However it did boot clover itself not the OS X.

I'll get back you you on the sound but i believe the kext was compiled for Yosemite and may not work with El Capitan.

It was my understanding that clover does a wonderful job of disabling SIP.  I haven't even had to think about it in my 10.12.5 instillation.  I know SIP really sucks.