Asus Sabertooth X79 / i7-3960x DSDT/SSDT help needed (MacOS Sierra)

mitchellkza

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks, hope you are all well and hacking away as usual.

I really hope someone here could give me some guidance. I am a total noob at DSDT editing but I am very familiar with OSX86 installation as I have been doing this for 6 years now and never had issues where I needed a DSDT/SSDT as I was always not really worried about CPU Power Management and whether it worked or not.

I re-loaded my system starting now 2 weeks ago to try and get it up to spec with My Macbook so that working between desktop and macbook would be flawless, this meant moving from Lion to El-Capitan. I have over the last 2 weeks now done well over 60 or 70 installs with trying Yosemite, El-Capitan and Sierra. They all work perfectly except for power management.

This is when I started learning to edit a DSDT from this site and specifically this guide by Shilohh. Which really explained DSDT editing in great detail and through many attempts I managed to edit my DSDT and boot from it. His guide is however dated 2013 so I think I have some mismatches between some of his hacks and what needs to be changed for Sierra to properly understand it. I used in addition to this a guide by Shilohh on another forum for Native Power Management and another guide by Toleda also on Native Power Management. 

I actually have had Speedstep working for the past 3 days but it would never clock into it's Turbo States it would just max out at 3.3 Ghz and never reach 3.9 Ghz when put under stress. Yesterday I still had it working with my edited DSDT but then later in the day I discovered I actually still had NullCpuPowerManagement.kext loaded and once I removed it all speedstepping and CPU power management is gone.

I was running with a MacbookPro8,1 System Definition (Sandy Bridge) but was advised this morning by Toleda to rather use a iMac12,2 definition which I have done now but still no progress and now it appears all CPU power management is gone and I even generated a new SSDT with ssdtPRGen.sh this morning after I changed the System Definition. I have also tried generating the SSDT with his latest beta branch 21.1 also with 15.6 and I have, floating around somewhere in all my mish-mash a version 11.x which I will also try.

I have so much of a better understanding of editing a DSDT but it is still mostly Greek to me.

Could anyone perhaps look at my latest DSDT, SSDT and ioReg files for me. I know I am missing something small or I made some silly mistake and I know I can get power management working because it was working the past 3 days. 

My DSDT was edited using Shilohhs' guide mentioned above and I even went as far as going further and getting SBRG renamed to LPCB and then also re-opened it this morning and ran a generic Sandy-Bridge patch from MaciASL, which suggested numerous changes for device names which I did and still no change.

I have attached

- DSDT (before applying the Generic Sandy Bridge patch from MacIASL) - dsdt1.zip

- my latest DSDT (with Generic Sandy Bridge patch applied) - dsdt2.zip

- fresh SSDT generated today with ssdtPRGen 21.1 - System Definition MacPro12,2

- Latest ioreg

- EFI/CLOVER partition

I would truly appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks in advance

Mitchell

dsdt1.zip

dsdt2.zip

EFI.zip

mitchellk.ioreg.zip

SSDT.aml.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have the same build as you and have finally made the upgrade to Sierra last week from Mavericks.

I used my own Clover USB stick to install, but did not have the time or the memory on how to tweak all the Kexts etc. So when i stumbled on your EFI, I simply copied it to my SSD.

Everything works except USB 3, so i was mindblown! great work on getting it all going. Unfortunately I cannot get it to boot from the SSD. I will attempt to tweak it some more. Once I get it booting from the SSD, I will start learning about getting the Speedstep working and let you know on here if I have any luck.

In the meantime, all the best with your attempts and a BIG thank you, I have really been lucky to have used your settings, it has saved me a lot of time.

EDIT: I have it booting now :) 

I will work on the speedstepping from here on and keep you posted

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

upload ur original DSDT, without patches

Hi @maldon, thanks for helping, for some reason I never got an email with your offer of assistance so apologies for only replying now.

I did clean dump using Clover F4, all files from the ACPI > origin folder attached in zip.

ACPI-origin.zip

• Like 1

:)

attachicon.gifDSDT.mitchellkza.zip

test it, send me ioreg and kextstat after reboot

use darwin patch Clover

with HDEF id 1

attachicon.gifDSDT.mitchellkza HDEF.zip

Try with AppleAlc

https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases

smbios try iMac14,2 or MacPro6,1 with SSDT

Thanks so much @MaLd0n I have downloaded them and will try them out, taking my short xmas break tomorrow for 4 days, leaving tonight at midnight but I will try Friday when I am back and report back to you.

Really appreciate the help :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

:)

attachicon.gifDSDT.mitchellkza.zip

test it, send me ioreg and kextstat after reboot

use darwin patch Clover

with HDEF id 1

attachicon.gifDSDT.mitchellkza HDEF.zip

Try with AppleAlc

https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/releases

smbios try iMac14,2 or MacPro6,1 with SSDT

@Maldon I must apologize for not getting back to you. Since I last posted we had some serious family problems, my Dad got very ill and has been in hospital for 7 weeks now, been diagnosed with terminal bone cancer so not a good time for us. I will still definitely get to trying your DSDT as soon as life gets back to normal. Certainly still want to get my hack running as best as possible but other things take more importance right now.