How can I bypass 'The guest OS is not OS X Server' on VMWare Fusion?

21 posts in this topic

I want to install OS X Snow Leopard via VMWare Fusion on my Mac running macOS Sierra. I made an image from my installation disk, made a VM, and booted it up. I got an error that says 'The guest OS is not OS X Server'

I know there are ways to bypass this, but is there a specific guide that I can follow?

I want to install OS X Snow Leopard via VMWare Fusion on my Mac running macOS Sierra. I made an image from my installation disk, made a VM, and booted it up. I got an error that says 'The guest OS is not OS X Server'

I know there are ways to bypass this, but is there a specific guide that I can follow?

I have a new script to create and fix an installation image to bypass this. It will automatically format the guest's first virtual disk so use on an empty VM. Work in progress but you are welcome to try it out and report back. Unzip the contents and open a Terminal prompt.

1. chmod +x snowyhack.sh

2. ./snowyhack.sh path_to_dmg

Use the created ISO file to install the VM.

Note the input installer image used needs to be in DMG format at the moment. Let me know if you have something else or need help converting to a DMG.

Let me know how it goes, and will add to unlocker if OK.

snowyhack.zip

• Like 2

I have a new script to create and fix an installation image to bypass this. It will automatically format the guest's first virtual disk so use on an empty VM. Work in progress but you are welcome to try it out and report back. Unzip the contents and open a Terminal prompt.

1. chmod +x snowyhack.sh

2. ./snowyhack.sh path_to_dmg

Use the created ISO file to install the VM.

Note the input installer image used needs to be in DMG format at the moment. Let me know if you have something else or need help converting to a DMG.

Let me know how it goes, and will add to unlocker if OK.

Ok thanks Donk. Right now I am at school so when I get home (In about 3 1/2 hours  :( ) I'll try it out.

When trying to boot from the ISO that snowyhack created, it starts booting then after about a minute or so it changes from the Apple logo to the prohibit symbol.

Can you attach the vmware.log file please? (Please do not post inline as makes the thread difficult to read)

Can't see anything wrong and I just retested on my MacBook Pro 2015 and worked. Quick question how did you create the DMG for the script? Or did you download it from somewhere?

I inserted my Snow Leopard install disk, went to disk utility, right clicked the disc and made an image from that.

Could you edit the snowyhack.sh and remove the comment (#) from line 3 so it reads:

set -x

Then run the script again and copy the output into a post or file for me, please.

I apologize for the late response, I left my computer at home while I was at my dad's house. I removed the '#' from line 3 and tried to make another iso. I put it into the VM but I get the same prohibited sign after a couple minutes. I tried making a new VM but that doesn't help. Here is the log file.

vmwarelog.txt

I apologize for the late response, I left my computer at home while I was at my dad's house. I removed the '#' from line 3 and tried to make another iso. I put it into the VM but I get the same prohibited sign after a couple minutes. I tried making a new VM but that doesn't help. Here is the log file.

Hi I actually wanted the output of the snowyhack.sh command so I could compare it with the output of one that works. Could you post that please?

Bit of a delay whilst I found my real DVD for Snow Leopard. Can you try the following please?

1. Mount the DVD disc in your drive

2. Open Terminal

3. Run the mount command and get the /dev/disk number for DVD 

3. Create a new DMG using:

hdiutil create ~/Documents/macos106.dmg -srcdevice /dev/disk1 -format UDRW

Replace the disk number with the one you found earlier.

4. IMPORTANT - eject the physical DVD 

5. Run the converter script

./snowyhack.sh macos106.dmg

6. Try the ISO file in VMware

Let me know how it goes.

Bit of a delay whilst I found my real DVD for Snow Leopard. Can you try the following please?

1. Mount the DVD disc in your drive

2. Open Terminal

3. Run mount and get the /dev/disk number for DVD 

3. Create a new DMG using:

hdiutil create ~/Documents/macos106.dmg -srcdevice /dev/disk1 -format UDRW

Replace the disk number with the one you found earlier.

4. IMPORTANT - eject the physical DVD 

5 .Run the converter script

./snowyhack macos106.dmg

6. Try the ISO file in VMware

Let me know how it goes.

That works! Oh my goodness it works! Thank you so much!

That works! Oh my goodness it works! Thank you so much!

Excellent. I will try and make the script a bit more robust but the secret sauce is in the correct way to get the DMG from the physical DVD. I was using downloaded DMG from Apple Developer Connection.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

Excellent. I will try and make the script a bit more robust but the secret sauce is in the correct way to get the DMG from the physical DVD. I was using downloaded DMG from Apple Developer Connection.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

Thanks and you too.