Booting a linux partition without it's own boot loader with Clover

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm not sure if this is possible.

I have one partition containing Solus linux.

Unlike my Ubuntu partition, Solus would not allow me to install Grub to the root partition.

I installed it without a boot loader and get into it by choosing Ubuntu at the Clover menu and then Solus at the Grub menu.

Can I somehow add the Solus partition to Clover? At the moment the Solus partition doesn't show in the Clover menu.

Mike.

Hi, I'm not sure if this is possible.

I have one partition containing Solus linux.

Unlike my Ubuntu partition, Solus would not allow me to install Grub to the root partition.

I installed it without a boot loader and get into it by choosing Ubuntu at the Clover menu and then Solus at the Grub menu.

Can I somehow add the Solus partition to Clover? At the moment the Solus partition doesn't show in the Clover menu.

Mike.

Yes, you could define custom entry. See wiki

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Are you booting via UEFI or legacy booting?

You can manually install grub to the root partition with the grub-install command, assuming you're doing legacy boot. Let Solus install grub to the MBR block like normal. Now once you boot up Solus, you can reinstall grub to the correct place via grub-install. If the Solus Linux root partition is on /dev/sda4, for example:

sudo grub-install --force /dev/sda4

You can then reinstall Clover's boot0af or boot0ss to the mbr block replacing the grub code that was put there. It can be done via the Clover pkg in OS X like normal but if you have access to this file from Linux then you can do it from command line as well, assuming the hard disk is /dev/sda for example:

sudo dd if=/location/of/boot0af of=/dev/sda bs=440 count=1

reboot and Clover should boot up and detect the new Solus partition with grub on it (as well as Ubuntu's) on its boot list.